OT:The World Cup

Just tuning into the Argentina v. Nigeria game, bound to be good, and should have some offense. At 3 minutes, Argentina just missed a close one. Should be a great tourney. Argentina just missed another close one on a great save by the Nigeria goalkeeper.

Not sure anyone read about the complaint of “horns” the fans use, but they are annoying. Constant, and sound like car horns. They drown the fans and almost the announcers.

Late note. Argentina just scores 1-0. 6:23 minute mark.

The horns don’t bother me as much as everybody else. Maybe I just got used to them last year in the confederations cups, but I’m able to just ignore them almost entirely until somebody else mentions them.

The match has really slowed down since the opening, Argentina is playing super conservative now and it’s actually kind of annoying me.

But I can’t wait for the US/England match - I’m one of the biggest USMNT fans on this board I would guess, so I’ve had this date circled for a long time now and the day has finally arrived. Not sure what will happen today, but it’s actually somewhat similar to being a PSU hoops fan… my heart and my head are conflicted on the prediction.

I don’t mind the horns. But, my wife hates them. So, I lower the sound when she is watching the game. My pet peeve is the rolling on the ground (faking injury) by the Nigerian players. I guess it serves a purpose by maybe helping to draw a foul/card and giving everybody a rest BUT…
South Korea looked good in the first game!

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1226”]The horns don’t bother me as much as everybody else. Maybe I just got used to them last year in the confederations cups, but I’m able to just ignore them almost entirely until somebody else mentions them.

The match has really slowed down since the opening, Argentina is playing super conservative now and it’s actually kind of annoying me.

But I can’t wait for the US/England match - I’m one of the biggest USMNT fans on this board I would guess, so I’ve had this date circled for a long time now and the day has finally arrived. Not sure what will happen today, but it’s actually somewhat similar to being a PSU hoops fan… my heart and my head are conflicted on the prediction.[/quote]

I’m betting Walt Bahr gets some air time during the USA/England match - just hope there’s a PSU mention in there.

I dont mind the horns at all. I just tune it out… I don’t know why it upsets so many people.

Nigeria misses out on two terrific chances…

[quote=“noobd, post:5, topic:1226”]I dont mind the horns at all. I just tune it out… I don’t know why it upsets so many people.

Nigeria misses out on two terrific chances…[/quote]

Because it’s fun hearing the crowd chants. The horns smother that. I turn the sound down too, but then it’s hard to hear the announcers, and they have some great ways of saying things. Early, before I turned it down, after a Nigerian player took at shot in his groin and had trouble getting up, he said he was “trying to shake off the notch”. And other announcer, when Nigeria was trying to tie it, said, “Nigeria working hard here to get level.” I guess I like the chants and hearing the skilled announcers more than the buzzing of the horns. Can’t wait the USA v. England game.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1226"]The horns don't bother me as much as everybody else. Maybe I just got used to them last year in the confederations cups, but I'm able to just ignore them almost entirely until somebody else mentions them.

But I can’t wait for the US/England match - I’m one of the biggest USMNT fans on this board I would guess, so I’ve had this date circled for a long time now and the day has finally arrived. Not sure what will happen today, but it’s actually somewhat similar to being a PSU hoops fan… my heart and my head are conflicted on the prediction.[/quote]

I’m betting Walt Bahr gets some air time during the USA/England match - just hope there’s a PSU mention in there.

Don’t know much about World Cup Soccer so why would Walt get a mention?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:1226"]The horns don't bother me as much as everybody else. Maybe I just got used to them last year in the confederations cups, but I'm able to just ignore them almost entirely until somebody else mentions them.

Read up:

Game of Their Lives

How a ‘Band of No-Hopers’ Forged U.S. Soccer’s Finest Day

The Ghosts of Belo Herozonte

Walter Bahr, 1950 American soccer hero, looking forward to yet another World Cup

Walt Chyzowych Achievement Award Winner: Walt Bahr, 2010

Bahr None: Walter Is One of Americas All-Time Best Soccer Talents

World Cup 2010: On one goal, 1950 U.S. team scored soccer’s biggest upset

Kicking It With Walter Bahr

Hold the ice, but this was one big miracle

US Veteran’s World Cup Warning To England

World Cup memories: U.S. stuns England, 1950

Do a Google Search on news stories with “Walt Bahr” in them and this is what you get - 2268 stories today alone.

Link

Bummer - Joe Gaetjens got mentioned in the pregame but no Walt Bahr.

Vuvustoppers-if it sounds loud on TV, it must be deafening at the stadium. Can you imagine they’re louder than a chainsaw? 50,000 chainsaws going off while you’re at a game? Wow. Bet aspirin and advil sales doing okay as well.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.efd19d609b2f893c2a9387c67e46a53a.1b1&show_article=1

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:11, topic:1226”]Vuvustoppers-if it sounds loud on TV, it must be deafening at the stadium. Can you imagine they’re louder than a chainsaw? 50,000 chainsaws going off while you’re at a game? Wow. Bet aspirin and advil sales doing okay as well.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.efd19d609b2f893c2a9387c67e46a53a.1b1&show_article=1[/quote]

Let’s give 10 thousand students vuvu-stoppers for attending a hoop game and tell them to attempt a BJC “noise record.”

Well the vuvuzelas are horns that people are personally “tooting”. So obviously it doesn’t bother the 50,000 people that are actually blowing into the horns. Those people are right there in the stadium with the horns.

Suck it up people! ;D

I’ve mentioned this before but for those that are new to the board, here’s Penn State basketball’s connection to soccer.

1969 All American Soccer Team (NCAA Soccer Record Book)

G–Bruce Parkhill, Lock Haven
D–Tony Elia, Hartwick
D–Don Fowler, Col. of New Jersey
D–Peter Goosens, San Diego St.
D–Len Renery, Columbia
D–Karim Yassim, Elizabethtown
F–Bob Durham, Philadelphia U.
F–Manuel Hernandez, San Jose St.
F–Abdula Jama, New York U.
F–Alec Papadakis, Hartwick
F–Rasim Tugberk, Maryland

Tied 1-1 at the half, the US has a real chance to win this.

Ends 1-1 but a real confidence builder for the U.S. It sets them up well to advance out of pool play.

Thanks to Sir Bill Buckner the goalie for letting the US tie it up.

Okay lets look at it with red, white and blue glasses: Green was somewhat screened from the shot and it was a random shot that curved slightly to Green’s right. :wink:

Do a Google Search on news stories with “Walt Bahr” in them and this is what you get - 2268 stories today alone.

Link

Another Penn State connection to that game was Bill Jeffery, who was the coach of the US team. Jeffrey went on to coach PSU’s soccer team and the PSU’s soccer stadium, Jeffrey Field, is named after Bill.

Was happy with the outcome today, but pretty unimpressed with the effort. was looking a lot like 2006 early on, we didn’t really show much emotion in this one. The first half felt like both teams were sleepwalking.

We’ll take the lucky hop and the point, but if play doesn’t improve it’s going to be an early exit again. :confused: