PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT- the value of true grit in success

True Grit

I always liked these quotes:

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. Calvin Coolidge

and these numerous ones by one guy, the first referred to in your link…

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Thomas A. Edison

Hell, there are no rules here - we’re trying to accomplish something. (My note:This one is truly outstanding…no blueprint…no guide.)
Thomas A. Edison

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves.
Thomas A. Edison

I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world.
Thomas A. Edison

Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing.
Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison

Regarding the one about rules, I was a big fan of Tom Landry and the Cowboys, and I remember something he/they did when Staubach was their AB, circa 1970. I was watching the game and Staubach went into the shotgun formation. The announcers were stunned. The shotgun wasn’t seen in the NFL for possibly 10 years. They couldn’t believe it. Anyway, they killed their opponent, who had no idea how to defend against it. Since, it’s become a regular feature of most if not all NFL teams. Sometimes you just have to look at things differently than others, and don’t go by rules. Landry was a genius at that.

In the OSU win at the BJC, where Diebler hit the 10 treys, I thought about what PSU could have done, if anything. The way I viewed it, and I think the stats back it up, was in the second half, PSU collapsed on Sullinger, very effectively. Not sure he had any points, and if so, not many. Problem was, he is and was very good at kicking it out, not necessarily to Jon, but the ball found Jon. So, what does a team do? Not double Sullinger? Double Sullinger and box on one with Diebler as well? How about a “triangle and two”, where 1 is on Diebler, 1 on Sullinger and 3 in a zone? I’m not sure, but this is why regular stats don’t tell the story, IMO, becuase in a game like that, it probably revealed we had/have bad arc defense. But was really the issue? There are no rules when you’re trying to accomplish something. Principles, but not rules. IMO, that’s what makes a great coach, and a great player. Sweating a lot helps.

I’m still astounded at how our D has picked up the last few games. Particularly in the Wisky BTT game, that was a pure battle of defensive wills, and we stared down the Badgers and WON. I would not have guessed that in a million years 2 weeks ago, and now all the pundits are touting our “D” as the big advantage.

What’s the difference? WORK. 5 guys, committed 100% for 40 minutes to defend the rim.

My favorite quote:
“You must BE the change you wish to see in the world.” …Mahatma Gandhi

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:2166”]My favorite quote:
“You must BE the change you wish to see in the world.” …Mahatma Gandhi [/quote]

My favourite Gandhi quote:

“First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”

I think we’re over the ignoring and laughing with the idiotic CBS broadcasts in the BTT.

Time to fight and win.

My favorite quote: "You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." ................Mahatma Gandhi

My favourite Gandhi quote:

“First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”

I think we’re over the ignoring and laughing with the idiotic CBS broadcasts in the BTT.

Time to fight and win.

Good post!!

[quote=“MarkH, post:4, topic:2166”]I’m still astounded at how our D has picked up the last few games. Particularly in the Wisky BTT game, that was a pure battle of defensive wills, and we stared down the Badgers and WON. I would not have guessed that in a million years 2 weeks ago, and now all the pundits are touting our “D” as the big advantage.

What’s the difference? WORK. 5 guys, committed 100% for 40 minutes to defend the rim.[/quote]

It thought it started with the Indiana game. We played excellent defense that game.

The true PSU personification of that article: Maggie Lucas

“You can find Lucas at the Bryce Jordan Center hoisting up as many as 1,000 shots on what is supposedly her day to rest. And rumor has it, that if someone actually counted, that somewhere near 800 of the shots often find their way through the twine.”

[quote="MarkH, post:4, topic:2166"]I'm still astounded at how our D has picked up the last few games. Particularly in the Wisky BTT game, that was a pure battle of defensive wills, and we stared down the Badgers and WON. I would not have guessed that in a million years 2 weeks ago, and now all the pundits are touting our "D" as the big advantage.

What’s the difference? WORK. 5 guys, committed 100% for 40 minutes to defend the rim.[/quote]

It thought it started with the Indiana game. We played excellent defense that game.

I thought the same. Some of the guys even admitted to being nervous the first half. It showed on offense. But strong defense gets you over those humps.

I had a slogan idea that I always thought would fly as a commercial slogan. I thought this up long ago, around the time Sir Charles said “I ain’t no role model.”

“Be your own role model”