OT: The other Penn State team plays in the Capital One Bowl

I can understand why Iowa got the BCS nod, even if I think Penn State finished the season as the better football team.

And in case any LSU fans stumble upon this thread, time for your Remedial Spelling 101 classes at a Penn State branch campus. It’s spelled G-O. This will be on the final exam. For extra credit, you might also want to study W-E, A-R-E, P-E-N-N, and S-T-A-T-E.

blah. college football is so anti-climatic ain’t it?

Interesting though that a BCS bowl this year is a repeat of the Humanitarian Bowl from not long ago.

[quote=“bstanf, post:1, topic:431”]I can understand why Iowa got the BCS nod, even if I think Penn State finished the season as the better football team.

And in case any LSU fans stumble upon this thread, time for your Remedial Spelling 101 classes at a Penn State branch campus. It’s spelled G-O. This will be on the final exam. For extra credit, you might also want to study W-E, A-R-E, P-E-N-N, and S-T-A-T-E.[/quote]

You lost me.

I hope this makes sens to the LSU fans you seem to have directed it toward because it sure doesn’t to me. ???

I can understand why Iowa got the BCS nod, even if I think Penn State finished the season as the better football team.

And in case any LSU fans stumble upon this thread, time for your Remedial Spelling 101 classes at a Penn State branch campus. It’s spelled G-O. This will be on the final exam. For extra credit, you might also want to study W-E, A-R-E, P-E-N-N, and S-T-A-T-E.

You lost me.

I hope this makes sens to the LSU fans you seem to have directed it toward because it sure doesn’t to me. ???

It is a commentary on how the Cajuns playfully spell the word “Go” as “Geaux”.

If Pitt won, PSU would have been much more likely to have a BCS bid… but they didn’t.

LSU will be tough. Hopefully some B10 over SEC bragging rights…

I’m with Lar on this one. You lost me bstanf, even theaux I kneaux what you were talking about.

I have several friends here in the ATL who went to LSU. They are very nice and their fan base, theaux bent at times like most SEC fan bases, are generally a good lot with lots of fun people to party with.

Theaux I am not a fan of the bowls or the system that decides on these games (anticlimactic is a good term Craftsy), I do like PSU’s matchup and think it will be a very good game. Strange that this will only be the 2nd time that these storied programs ever met.

Disagree, if Pitt would have won I think both Pitt and and a one loss Cincy team would have gotten BCS bids. Iowa would have gone to the Cirtus bowl and PSU would have gone to the Outback Bowl.

[quote="noobd, post:5, topic:431"]If Pitt won, PSU would have been much more likely to have a BCS bid... but they didn't.[/quote]

Disagree, if Pitt would have won I think both Pitt and and a one loss Cincy team would have gotten BCS bids. Iowa would have gone to the Cirtus bowl and PSU would have gone to the Outback Bowl.

Highly, highly doubtful. Cincy just doesn’t have enough fans following them to justify an at-large bid.

[quote="noobd, post:5, topic:431"]If Pitt won, PSU would have been much more likely to have a BCS bid... but they didn't.[/quote]

Highly, highly doubtful. Cincy just doesn’t have enough fans following them to justify an at-large bid.

Disagree but I guess we’ll never know now. :slight_smile:

Disagree but I guess we’ll never know now. :slight_smile:

We already know:

Stop and look at the bowl selection process for a moment and you will see how wrong you are. The Orange Bowl could have picked Cincy over Iowa as an undefeated team and they didn’t. So why would they pick them as a one-loss team instead?

The picks went like this.

BCS Championship: Alabama
BCS Championship: Texas
Host team commitments: Orange (Ga Tech), Rose (Ohio State), Rose (Oregon)
1st replacement pick (Fiesta): TCU
2nd replacement pick (Sugar): Florida
Orange Bowl: Iowa
Fiesta Bowl: Boise State
Sugar Bowl: stuck with Cincinnati

Cincy was the last pick as an undefeated team. They wouldn’t have been any more attractive as a one loss team.

However, if Pitt had won it wouldn’t have made any difference to us because they would have been the last pick and they would be in the Sugar Bowl.

SHOW ME THE LINK! ;D

I had been following the link below for weeks and they had both Cincy & Pitt going to BCS bowls if Pitt had won last Satuirday.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Here’s the selection order (you can fill the names in)

The LAST spot filled was the Sugar Bowl with Cincy.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:11, topic:431”]SHOW ME THE LINK! ;D

I had been following the link below for weeks and they had both Cincy & Pitt going to BCS bowls if Pitt had won last Satuirday.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html[/quote]

Only because they didn’t see the Fiesta Bowl picking both Boise State and TCU. But that’s what actually happened and thus there was no room left for two Big East teams (and there wouldn’t have been even if Pitt won because the Fiesta Bowl sure wasn’t going to pick Pitt over Boise State).

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:2, topic:431”]blah. college football is so anti-climatic ain’t it?

Interesting though that a BCS bowl this year is a repeat of the Humanitarian Bowl from not long ago. [/quote]

I thought that the TCU/BSU matchup in the Fiesta was a real crock… TCU and BSU are kind of like the NCAA hoops where the “little guys” just want a shot at one of the “big boys” but alas, that won’t happen.

The BCS can go around saying that “see, we include the little guys, now get off our backs” while there’s no chance of upsetting the status quo because whoever wins will only be the champs of the “non bcs conference bowl”. The last thing the power brokers want is another one of these small conference schools knocking off a big BCS conference school and demanding a playoff. Imagine TCU beating Florida in the Sugar bowl. They’d have a legitimate complaint that they should have been in the “big game” instead of Texas.

If they didn’t match them up, then there’d be the possibility that you could have 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year… Bama/Tex winner, Cincy, TCU and BSU. This way, you eliminate the TCU/BSU loser from the argument and you don’t embolden their case by not giving them a BCS conference opponent.

I just really dislike how the Fieasta went down. (and it has nothing to so with the fact we’re not there… I thought Iowa deserved the BCS bid and not us)

[quote=“MarkH, post:14, topic:431”]I thought that the TCU/BSU matchup in the Fiesta was a real crock… TCU and BSU are kind of like the NCAA hoops where the “little guys” just want a shot at one of the “big boys” but alas, that won’t happen.

The BCS can go around saying that “see, we include the little guys, now get off our backs” while there’s no chance of upsetting the status quo because whoever wins will only be the champs of the “non bcs conference bowl”. The last thing the power brokers want is another one of these small conference schools knocking off a big BCS conference school and demanding a playoff. Imagine TCU beating Florida in the Sugar bowl. They’d have a legitimate complaint that they should have been in the “big game” instead of Texas.

If they didn’t match them up, then there’d be the possibility that you could have 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year… Bama/Tex winner, Cincy, TCU and BSU. This way, you eliminate the TCU/BSU loser from the argument and you don’t embolden their case by not giving them a BCS conference opponent.

I just really dislike how the Fieasta went down. (and it has nothing to so with the fact we’re not there… I thought Iowa deserved the BCS bid and not us)[/quote]

I’m with you 100%. It’s one reason why I can’t really get into college football.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:431"]blah. college football is so anti-climatic ain't it?

Interesting though that a BCS bowl this year is a repeat of the Humanitarian Bowl from not long ago.[/quote]

I thought that the TCU/BSU matchup in the Fiesta was a real crock… TCU and BSU are kind of like the NCAA hoops where the “little guys” just want a shot at one of the “big boys” but alas, that won’t happen.

I just really dislike how the Fieasta went down. (and it has nothing to so with the fact we’re not there… I thought Iowa deserved the BCS bid and not us)

Wow, sounds like a couple of our posters smell a conspiracy in the BCS Bowl selection.
Boy, I am just glad there isn’t any in the NCAA Basketball Selections! :wink:
“Just follow the money” … Lennie Briscoe

[quote=“tundra, post:16, topic:431”]Wow, sounds like a couple of our posters smell a conspiracy in the BCS Bowl selection.
Boy, I am just glad there isn’t any in the NCAA Basketball Selections! ;)[/quote]

Two totally different issues.

It’s PSU’s own fault they missed the dance. There is no secret that RPI plays a big role. For the gazillionith time, there were posters on this board that predicted it before the season even started. It was no surprise to anyone that keeps up with the selection process.

What more could have BSU or TCU done to get a shot at a “big boy”? Screwjob city.

The whole bowl process irritates me. In the absence of a playoff, even winning the Big 10 gets you nothing but an invite to one of the nicer beauty pageants rather than a game that has true national import. In truth, the BCS Championship Game is the equivalent to a two-team Big Dance. Everyone else is playing in a one-round NIT, no matter how the bowls and networks try to dress it up.

[quote="tundra, post:16, topic:431"]Wow, sounds like a couple of our posters smell a conspiracy in the BCS Bowl selection. Boy, I am just glad there isn't any in the NCAA Basketball Selections! ;)[/quote]

Two totally different issues.

It’s PSU’s own fault they missed the dance. There is no secret that RPI plays a big role. For the gazillionith time, there were posters on this board that predicted it before the season even started. It was no surprise to anyone that keeps up with the selection process.

What more could have BSU or TCU done to get a shot at a “big boy”? Screwjob city.

I will accept your position that it was a totally different issue! I am over Tubbygate…seriously. I guess my point was to satire how the BSC could be a “screw job” and yet some(you know who) posters will not even admit the NCAA Selection Committee COULD be bias toward ANY issue/team/person/money/etc, etc. I am an “old timer.” I don’t follow national things as closely as I have in the past. I accurately respected posters opinions that PSU B-Ball team did not belong in the NCAA. What I found laughable was the opinion by some posters that the NCAA Selection Committee was beyond ANY potential bias.
While my satire is poor…for good satire goggle the SNL skit on Tiger Woods!!

Iowa gets justice; Boise and TCU don’t By DAVID JONES, The Patriot-News