PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: The Journey - Darius Morris

Just saw the story about Darius Morris’ best friend from high school who died of a nerve/spinal cord disease. Phenomenal. Great piece from a great show.

We see these kids and judge these kids by how they do on a basketball court. How many points, rebounds, assists and wins they have. But when you can humanize them like this show does, you get a real sense of the person. Much respect for Darius after seeing this feature.

Have never turned off that show.

The only problem with that show is hearing its theme song over and over again in ads on BTN (despite it’s catchiness)

I’ve never watched it, but do you think they’d package the whole season of episodes into a DVD version? Based on what y’all are saying, that would be worth the price.

I am convinced that when we all get to heaven, you will be the one pointing out the damn glare off the streets of gold.

The only problem with that show is hearing its theme song over and over again in ads on BTN (despite it's catchiness)

I am convinced that when we all get to heaven, you will be the one pointing out the damn glare off the streets of gold.

I’m a person that very, very easily gets songs and jingles stuck in my head for long periods of time. The Journey doesn’t help me in that arena :slight_smile:

OK, what if it was some bad Journey?

Someday love will find yoooou
Break those chains that bind yoooou
One night will remind you
How we touched
And went our separate waaaays!

(Neal Schon guitar solo)

[quote][quote author=tjb link=topic=2081.msg49899#msg49899 date=1299167005]

The only problem with that show is hearing its theme song over and over again in ads on BTN (despite it's catchiness)

+++++++++++ OMG tjb…I really wanted to post something after I saw that post, but I couldn’t decide what to write…I’m glad I waited because you’ve done it better than anything I could have ever composed!!! THANKS!!! :slight_smile:

The beauty of The Journey is knowing when to bring in the music. If you saw the Morris piece, they brought it in perfectly. Music is a very powerful tool when a producer knows what to use and how to use it. The folks at The Journey understand that to a tee. Maybe they can teach that to the folks who produce “Icons”.

The Journey is an awesome awesome show that I love to watch. That piece on Darius Morris was incredible, have a lot of respect for that guy. Love seeing guys from other teams off the court, and it certainly makes me not hate them as much lol. Best theme music ever as well.

The camera work that they do during games and practices is unreal, it looks great on the show. A show like this makes me love why we have the Big Ten Network. Or should I say the “Big Pretend Network” as my pitt friends back at home call it…SWEET.

[quote=“I Believe, post:10, topic:2040”]The Journey is an awesome awesome show that I love to watch. That piece on Darius Morris was incredible, have a lot of respect for that guy. Love seeing guys from other teams off the court, and it certainly makes me not hate them as much lol. Best theme music ever as well.

The camera work that they do during games and practices is unreal, it looks great on the show. A show like this makes me love why we have the Big Ten Network. Or should I say the “Big Pretend Network” as my pitt friends back at home call it…SWEET.[/quote]

Well you can tell your Pitt friends back home to pick up this week’s Sports Illustrated. For they might have a Big Pretend football team to root for if things continue down the same path for them. (though PSU isn’t that far behind…you’ll see once you check out the cover article).

Back on topic…excellent camera work, editing and most important, storytelling. These are college kids, living a dream and for us as fans to “hate” them for wearing the wrong colors is shallow.

I’d put the series right up there with ESPN SportsCentury which is saying a lot.

Everytime I see the Journey, I always feel like it’s too short. I haven’t seen all of them but the ones I have, I’m really into it halfway through, then all of a sudden there’s an abrupt end. They do a fantastic job producing it but I just wish it was an hour so it didn’t feel so…choppy, i guess. Kinda hard to cover 11 teams week-in and week-out in just 30 minutes.

An excellent point eric (BTW, sorry you didn’t have a chance to tackle Talor on Tuesday night ;D)…

But sometimes in the TV world, you want to leave your viewers yearning for more. I’ve had to chop out many great things in the shows I’ve produced but in the end it didn’t lessen the effect of the show or its story.