PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Thanksgiving

I’ve always liked reading Andrew Sullivan’s piece about America and Thanksgiving, which is first. The second, by Faoud Ajami, whom I consider the best analyst of all things Middle Eastern(taking the baton from Bernard Lewis), is in today’s WSJ. Interesting to see foreign born Americans views on this tradition. What a grand one it is. My favorite holiday.

http://www.mcgillreport.org/my_america.htm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704369304575632323310735104.html

I have always loved Thanksgiving. But, the most special I remember was one celebrated in Canada. By chance. My wife and I took our honeymoon in Nova Scotia. (not that easy to get to.) We arrived at our first destination about 8:00 p.m. or so dead tired and very hungary. It was the small town of Annapolis Royal. We went to the only open restaurant in town. They were closing their doors. There were no other customers. But, they excepted us with open arms, feed us and made us very welcome. It was not until we were being served that we became aware that it was the National Holiday of Thanksgiving. My wife and I felt very bad. We offered to have our meal “to go” so everybody could go home. The staff would have nothing of this. Some of the staff sat with us and talked about their Thanksgiving customs. It was very warm to share thanks with such loving people.

P.S. I can’t wait to go back. I still crave the Rappe Pie.

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:1543”]I have always loved Thanksgiving. But, the most special I remember was one celebrated in Canada. By chance. My wife and I took our honeymoon in Nova Scotia. (not that easy to get to.) We arrived at our first destination about 8:00 p.m. or so dead tired and very hungary. It was the small town of Annapolis Royal. We went to the only open restaurant in town. They were closing their doors. There were no other customers. But, they excepted us with open arms, feed us and made us very welcome. It was not until we were being served that we became aware that it was the National Holiday of Thanksgiving. My wife and I felt very bad. We offered to have our meal “to go” so everybody could go home. The staff would have nothing of this. Some of the staff sat with us and talked about their Thanksgiving customs. It was very warm to share thanks with such loving people.

P.S. I can’t wait to go back. I still crave the Rappe Pie. [/quote]

When is Thanksgiving in Canada? And what does theirs represent?

Good articles, kid, thanks for sharing.

Awesome stuff, kid. Fwded Sullivan to my brother. Thanks.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:1543"]I have always loved Thanksgiving. But, the most special I remember was one celebrated in Canada. By chance. My wife and I took our honeymoon in Nova Scotia. (not that easy to get to.) We arrived at our first destination about 8:00 p.m. or so dead tired and very hungary. It was the small town of Annapolis Royal. We went to the only open restaurant in town. They were closing their doors. There were no other customers. But, they excepted us with open arms, feed us and made us very welcome. It was not until we were being served that we became aware that it was the National Holiday of Thanksgiving. My wife and I felt very bad. We offered to have our meal "to go" so everybody could go home. The staff would have nothing of this. Some of the staff sat with us and talked about their Thanksgiving customs. It was very warm to share thanks with such loving people.

P.S. I can’t wait to go back. I still crave the Rappe Pie.[/quote]

When is Thanksgiving in Canada? And what does theirs represent?

2nd Monday in Oct. Origin was a day of Thanksgiving for the harvest. I think it is very similar to US Thanksgiving. Turkey-stuffing-pumpkin pie etc.

My favorite Thanksgiving tradition at this point involves listening to (or watching) The Last Waltz - the concert performed on Thanksgiving 1976 by The Band, featuring a list of guest stars far too great to name them all and directed by the great Martin Scorsese.

Even though it was a bit before my time, I still think it’s one of the greatest performances ever and should be a staple of all American Thanksgiving traditions (even if most of The Band was Canadian)- being shown on television each year the same way the Macy’s Day Parade and NFL football are. :slight_smile:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Go Lions! They were my sleeper team this season (5-6 games lost by less than a TD!).

Back in the day, a local radio station used to always “Alice’s Restaraunt”. I’m not sure the connection with Thanksgiving, though. Maybe it was only because it was so long the DJ could bake a turkey while it played :wink:

There’s a strong Thanksgiving connection. The song is about Woody Guthrie’s conviction for littering one Thanksgviing Day . Alice served Thanksgiving dinners at an old abandoned local church in Massachusetts. Guthrie dumped her garbage behind the church and was subsequently arrested. It was all part of his plan to have a criminal record and thus avoid getting drafted.

Alice’s Restaurant Lyrics

Now it all started two Thanksgivings ago, was on - two years ago on
Thanksgiving, when my friend and I went up to visit Alice at the
restaurant, but Alice doesn’t live in the restaurant, she lives in the
church nearby the restaurant, in the bell-tower, with her husband Ray and
Fasha the dog. And livin’ in the bell tower like that, they got a lot of
room downstairs where the pews used to be in. Havin’ all that room,
seein’ as how they took out all the pews, they decided that they didn’t
have to take out their garbage for a long time.”

WRVV in Harrisburg still plays it at noon on Thanksgiving day. I heard them mention it on air the other day.

Purdue band kicks of Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Nice job by the Boilermakers.

Purdue Parade.mp4

" Alice’s Restaurant" Thangsgiving explanation: via wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice’s_Restaurant

I remember first seeing the movie in East Halls (FUB.) Free. Do they still have free movies all over campus?

Enjoy:

Arlo Guthrie/Alice’s Restaurant

I caught part of Alice’s Restaurant on the radio last night, till my wife made me change the station because “that’s not a song, that’s just some guy talking in an annoying voice”.

Should have told her “The Rest of The Story”. Maybe she would have appreciated it more.