PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Technology Question

What is the best way to communicate by voice over the internet? I’ve never had to do it myself, but someone recently asked me advice and I didn’t know what to tell them. Are there programs like AIM for voice?

There are scores of them, notably Skype and all the big name instant messaging tools (Google, AIM, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc)

Another vote for Skype.

Google Voice allows me to call domestic phones from my computer for free. I haven’t looked into Skype in a while, but there used to be a charge to connect to phones (as opposed to video/audio chatting with someone on his/her computer).

I don’t know if Google is accepting new Voice accounts - the company has been thinning its offering since Schmidt stepped down as CEO.

Works great, though. I have a number that I give to businesses and others that require it, and Google pushes through calls to any phones you’ve told it about: landline, cell, work phone. If I don’t answer, it takes an audio voice mail and transcribes it and sends it to my email. (You can still listen to the voice mail.)

To call out, you just dial from a keypad that I have as a widget on my gmail interface, like a normal phone.

Also note the difference here between chatting via your internet connection (free), and making actual phone calls via your internet connection (free for the most part, but possible fees depending where you call)

+1 to google voice if you can get it.

I’ve done out-of-state (and country) job interviews via Skype - it works well. It’s free to connect computer-to-computer, but does cost money if you want to connect computer-to-land-line.

Thanks, everyone. :slight_smile:

[quote=“tjb, post:4, topic:2721”]Google Voice allows me to call domestic phones from my computer for free. I haven’t looked into Skype in a while, but there used to be a charge to connect to phones (as opposed to video/audio chatting with someone on his/her computer).

I don’t know if Google is accepting new Voice accounts - the company has been thinning its offering since Schmidt stepped down as CEO.

Works great, though. I have a number that I give to businesses and others that require it, and Google pushes through calls to any phones you’ve told it about: landline, cell, work phone. If I don’t answer, it takes an audio voice mail and transcribes it and sends it to my email. (You can still listen to the voice mail.)

To call out, you just dial from a keypad that I have as a widget on my gmail interface, like a normal phone.[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me of Google Voice. I’ve had a number for ever and have never used it. I think I might start playing around with it.

We use skype at work. You just have to pay to conference call. But is saves allot of money by being able to conduct meetings and see each other even when guys are located in other cities.