PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Tampa Bay - Texas MLB game

Watching the game today. Right before the first pitch the play-by-play guy says a Sell-out is expected. As I watch the game the statium looks about half full. Then I goggle and find out Tampa is 29th out of 30 teams in attendence and it makes sense.

By point - - - WHY would he make the statement???

I don’t know why they have a baseball team in Tampa. I was watching a little bit of their final game of the regular season, when they very dramatically won to earn a spot in the postseason. The stadium may have been half full. Kinda sad, given how good their team has been (and how small their budget has been) over the past couple years.

And weren’t they going to be building a new stadium? I’m not sure if they are in it yet, or it is still being built (or maybe I’m remember wrong altogether).

[quote=“blue2blue, post:2, topic:2709”]I don’t know why they have a baseball team in Tampa. I was watching a little bit of their final game of the regular season, when they very dramatically won to earn a spot in the postseason. The stadium may have been half full. Kinda sad, given how good their team has been (and how small their budget has been) over the past couple years.

And weren’t they going to be building a new stadium? I’m not sure if they are in it yet, or it is still being built (or maybe I’m remember wrong altogether).[/quote]
Nope you remembered correctly.
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/RaysBallpark.htm

"Since their inception, the Rays have played at Tropicana Field, perhaps one of the best domed stadiums in Major League Baseball. "

One of the best? How about one of the worst.

First time I remember seeing the field was yesterday…To me, it looked terrible!!

Interesting background on Tropicana Stadium. I used to be involved in dealing with a Florida city, helping with their finances, so I’d go to the annual meeting of FL towns and cities, and I met the Tampa/St. Pete people. They built that stadium in a “if you build it they will come” method, on spec. Back then, they still had no team(prior to 1992, I forget exact year). When they finally got a team(I think it took at least several years, and city officials were taking heat), I went to a game the 1st season, as my mother in law lived in a nearby town, maybe 10 minutes away. Anyway, at first it was really expensive, and they had sold all sorts of rights, like only one cab company could go on the grounds, stuff like that. I think some box seats, which came with closed circuit TV’s, were $75. I paid something like $35-40. I think they lowered prices dramatically since, though not sure, but they weren’t selling. All seniors in that area. Not such a hot stadium. The roof was white, or kind of white.

I’ve been to a bunch of stadiums. Shea-poor, windy, freezing and noisy. But seeing Seaver and Dwight Gooden life long memories. Montreal-lousy, but hot dog vendors barking, “chien chaud”, literally “dog hot”, different, and cheap, general admin at US $3.90(when loonie worth only US $0.65, about 10 years ago). Seeing Vlad Guerrero destroy teams, esp the Yankees, was great. Seattle’s Kingdome not so great either. When I went to the game in Seattle, they had just gotten a tall young pitcher in a trade, he might’ve only pitched once by then, and a guy I met in the ticket line was saying he might just turn out alright…Randy Johnson. He came in trade for Mark Langston, who went to Montreal, which had $$$ then, and Langston was the star in the trade.

Enjoyed baseball much more when I was young. SO…my favorite ballparks were/are old Forbes Field(Pgh.), Fenway, Wigley and the old Cleveland Park(can’t think of the name.) All 4 had great atmospheres!
3 Rivers Statium and it’s clones (70s, 80s and 90s) were terrible!!
PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a great modern park!!

[quote=“tundra, post:7, topic:2709”]Enjoyed baseball much more when I was young. SO…my favorite ballparks were/are old Forbes Field(Pgh.), Fenway, Wigley and the old Cleveland Park(can’t think of the name.) All 4 had great atmospheres!
3 Rivers Statium and it’s clones (70s, 80s and 90s) were terrible!!
PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a great modern park!! [/quote]

Those '70’s parks were bad, Riverfront, 3 Rivers and the Vet. Never went to Wrigley. Old Yankee Stadium probably 25 times, Fenway once, Candlestick once. In '69, saw 16 games at Shea, the Mets went 15-1 when I attended. Was Cleveland called Municipal?

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:2709"]Enjoyed baseball much more when I was young. SO............my favorite ballparks were/are old Forbes Field(Pgh.), Fenway, Wigley and the old Cleveland Park(can't think of the name.) All 4 had great atmospheres! 3 Rivers Statium and it's clones (70s, 80s and 90s) were terrible!! PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a great modern park!![/quote]

Those '70’s parks were bad, Riverfront, 3 Rivers and the Vet. Never went to Wrigley. Old Yankee Stadium probably 25 times, Fenway once, Candlestick once. In '69, saw 16 games at Shea, the Mets went 15-1 when I attended. Was Cleveland called Municipal?

Yes, Cleveland was named Municipal. Browns and Indians played there.
I attended a Steeler - Browns game there once. WILDEST sporting event I ever attended!! Fights were too numerous to count (just in our section.)
It seems EVERYBODY was openly drinking liquor. Except for the group down the row from us that brought a keg into the game.
Steelers won even thought Brain Sipe had a ton of passing yards. Rocky had a long TD run.

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:2709"]Enjoyed baseball much more when I was young. SO............my favorite ballparks were/are old Forbes Field(Pgh.), Fenway, Wigley and the old Cleveland Park(can't think of the name.) All 4 had great atmospheres! 3 Rivers Statium and it's clones (70s, 80s and 90s) were terrible!! PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a great modern park!![/quote]

I attended a Steeler - Browns game there once. WILDEST sporting event I ever attended!! Fights were too numerous to count (just in our section.)
It seems EVERYBODY was openly drinking liquor. Except for the group down the row from us that brought a keg into the game.
Steelers won even thought Brain Sipe had a ton of passing yards. Rocky had a long TD run.

Municipal Stadium had its low point with “I hate disco night”, where fans brought disco LP’s and 45’s(if they were still making them) and burned them pre-game on the infield(best attendance of the season so it worked, kind of). Field was ruled unplayable, and the Indians forfeited, 9-0. I think it was Bill Veeck’s son’s idea. Bill used to introduce himself, “Veeck as in wreck.” He was a genius. He introduced midget Eddie Gaedel for one at bat, a base on balls(midgets were outlawed the following day)and also, working summers for the Cubs, planted the Ivy at the friendly confines. Baseball immortality for those two gestures. And when asked why he sat in the bleachers at Wrigley when he owned the team(or was an exec), he stated, “because the sun is hotter and the beer is colder.” Gotta love him, no?

Which baseball team had the “free beer night” that turned into a disaster?? Wasn’t that the Indians?

I think so. Good catch. Maybe the free beer was at the disco night. I don’t remember.

Municipal Stadium had its low point with “I hate disco night”, where fans brought disco LP’s and 45’s(if they were still making them) and burned them pre-game on the infield(best attendance of the season so it worked, kind of). Field was ruled unplayable, and the Indians forfeited, 9-0. I think it was Bill Veeck’s son’s idea. Bill used to introduce himself, “Veeck as in wreck.” He was a genius. He introduced midget Eddie Gaedel for one at bat, a base on balls(midgets were outlawed the following day)and also, working summers for the Cubs, planted the Ivy at the friendly confines. Baseball immortality for those two gestures. And when asked why he sat in the bleachers at Wrigley when he owned the team(or was an exec), he stated, “because the sun is hotter and the beer is colder.” Gotta love him, no?

I thought that was Comiskey Park.

It was

My bad. I just checked it, and it was Veeck’s son, Mike, but had wrong team. 32 years ago…alzheimer’s. :wink: