OT: Student sections to be moved @ Beaver Stadium

From Sections ED, EC, & EB to sections WA, SK, SJ, SH, & SG. That is a loss of seats from the 7 to 40 yard lines on the east side of the stadium according to the David Jones article on the link below.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2009/11/more_detail_on_psu_season_tick.html

More students closer to the field=louder student section, more people close to the action

More students in student section=louder student section

Upper deck bounces the sound down to the field=louder student section

There are negatives involved with the move, but there are negatives about where the section is now. A nice thing about coming in Gate A and B is that it could allow more students to enter at one time and keep the 15min-before-kick-rush to a minimum ( dont tell them they can get there early though, it is a secret) It’ll be a fun thing to try out when Alabama comes to town for the second game of the 2011 season. If that game isn’t a Whitehouse I’m not sure what is.

A lot of people are mad about the addition of the 800 seats, but since they’re sold game to game to students, if they aren’t sold they go right back to the public. That seems pretty fair to me.

We sit in section WC so we will really miss seeing the students sitting across from us in sections ED, EC, & EB.

The other huge benefit is that all of the late arriving students won’t be stuck on the EA/EB and EC/ED ramps. That may have been the worst part of the bottleneck. The sections in the South end zone are much easier to load since you have the options to bring the kids in from the bottom or top. With those upper sections on the east side, there is only one way to truely get people there. I’m sure that a lot of students will be unhappy losing seats on the sidelines, however getting them closer to the field should be a net gain for our home field advantage.

I’m curious, Mr. David Jones. You mention that seats from the 40 to the end zone will be one price and seats wrapping around the end zone are another. Any idea what sections that means? I’m in EJ and stare straight down the end line. Which price will I be paying? And for crying out loud, why don’t the just charge more per ticket for the better seats instead of this “donation” thing? Or is it because the donation is 80% deductible? I’d love more detail on the ins and outs of this decision.

You had my pretty confused, my last name happens to be Jones and for a moment I didn’t make the connection…

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:270"]I'm curious, Mr. David Jones. You mention that seats from the 40 to the end zone will be one price and seats wrapping around the end zone are another. Any idea what sections that means? I'm in EJ and stare straight down the end line. Which price will I be paying? And for crying out loud, why don't the just charge more per ticket for the better seats instead of this "donation" thing? Or is it because the donation is 80% deductible? I'd love more detail on the ins and outs of this decision.[/quote]

You had my pretty confused, my last name happens to be Jones and for a moment I didn’t make the connection…

Sorry, I’ll edit.

There’s nothing definitive yet so it’s all speculation but most of what I have seen would suggest that the pricing is more discrete than what you’ve listed above. I’ve heard that there could be as many as five tiers (and that doesn’t count the boxes or club seats) of giving required ranging from $100 per seat going up in $100 increments to $500 per seat.
While I don’t know for sure, I’d be quite willing to bet that EJ isn’t considered in the end zone (end zone seats will be those in N and S sections).

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:270"]I'm curious, Mr. David Jones. You mention that seats from the 40 to the end zone will be one price and seats wrapping around the end zone are another. Any idea what sections that means? I'm in EJ and stare straight down the end line. Which price will I be paying? And for crying out loud, why don't the just charge more per ticket for the better seats instead of this "donation" thing? Or is it because the donation is 80% deductible? I'd love more detail on the ins and outs of this decision.[/quote]

Sorry, I’ll edit.

haha…its all good. I just had a…“oh duh” moment.

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:270"]I'm curious, Mr. Jones. You mention that seats from the 40 to the end zone will be one price and seats wrapping around the end zone are another. Any idea what sections that means? I'm in EJ and stare straight down the end line. Which price will I be paying? And for crying out loud, why don't the just charge more per ticket for the better seats instead of this "donation" thing? Or is it because the donation is 80% deductible? I'd love more detail on the ins and outs of this decision.[/quote]

There’s nothing definitive yet so it’s all speculation but most of what I have seen would suggest that the pricing is more discrete than what you’ve listed above. I’ve heard that there could be as many as five tiers (and that doesn’t count the boxes or club seats) of giving required ranging from $100 per seat going up in $100 increments to $500 per seat.
While I don’t know for sure, I’d be quite willing to bet that EJ isn’t considered in the end zone (end zone seats will be those in N and S sections).

I figure that might be the case, but I’m still hoping it’s not. I don’t mind paying more for better seats, but mine are at the end line and in row 85 (maybe 5 rows behind me before the suites???). Not really good seats at all.

I’m glad that I don’t have to deal with that next year - I know that I’d sure miss those sideline seats in the senior section. Being on the 30 yard line, 30-40 rows up was really a perfect seat to watch the game from. I’m not a fan of watching the game from behind the end zone or in the corners.

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:270"]I'm curious, Mr. Jones. You mention that seats from the 40 to the end zone will be one price and seats wrapping around the end zone are another. Any idea what sections that means? I'm in EJ and stare straight down the end line. Which price will I be paying? And for crying out loud, why don't the just charge more per ticket for the better seats instead of this "donation" thing? Or is it because the donation is 80% deductible? I'd love more detail on the ins and outs of this decision.[/quote]

I figure that might be the case, but I’m still hoping it’s not. I don’t mind paying more for better seats, but mine are at the end line and in row 85 (maybe 5 rows behind me before the suites???). Not really good seats at all.

You gotta think that the price tag on seats between the 40’s will chase many of the minimum doners away (at least I for one hope so). If it does, it could be an opportunity to improve where one sits. I enter the final year of a 10 year Club Seat Lease where I pay $1,200.00 a seat (and I’m in the end zone). Wife loves the amenities but I already told her that with some expected sideline attrition at half the price I would move in a New York minute and enjoy the better sight lines to watch the game. Hey, for $600.00 a seat you could get some great seats. That is what I hope I will be able to do. Also, I am not getting any younger and I am not comfortable with committing for another 10 years for the Club seats, (a twenty-five thousand dollar committment). On the sidelines we can go year to year, which would be much more preferable, and as already stated less costly.

Good luck with the wife. We have decent bleacher seats on the 35 but the wife and kids love the club seats. We are at the point where they are a necessity for every game we attend as a family. Chairbacks and the lounge are nice.

I’m in EJU too, and the increase from $400 to $1600 (4 seats) will definitely turn me into a TV spectator.

I’m in EJU too, and the increase from $400 to $1600 (4 seats) will definitely turn me into a TV spectator.

How would you feel about $800? It’s quite possible EJ seats will be $200 a seat.

Ohio State’s ticket costs dwarf PSU’s By Cory Giger, Altoona Mirror

How would you feel about $800? It’s quite possible EJ seats will be $200 a seat.

I have to give $100 per seat now, so $200 per seat (two seats) is only $200 per year more. That I could stomach, but probably not any more than that. And only if the schedule starts to improve again (is it a coincidence that 2011 marks the return of Alabama to Beaver Stadium??). If we have schedules like what we had this year, I can see people giving up their seats at these prices. How many people will pick them up remains to be seen. I’m sure they will continue to sell out on a per game basis, but that defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do.

[quote="TomF, post:14, topic:270"]I'm in EJU too, and the increase from $400 to $1600 (4 seats) will definitely turn me into a TV spectator.[/quote]

It’s still a 100% increase in a single year :o

I know my company has trouble pushing through a 5% increase in our prices without our customers getting upset. And I know that I’m always outraged by the annual 20% increase our health care costs. Doubling the price on anything is a hard sell to current customers (even if there are other people out there willing to pay the increased price).

Frankly, I was going to have trouble affording tickets this year even without an increase, and I think with the troubled times there are other people in the same boat. And the games this year have not been compelling - the only two big home games were big disappointments. I suspect a lot of current ticket holders are going to decide that they can watch on TV rather than pay that big an increase. Especially since just about all games can be seen on TV these days.

However, there will probably be enough people waiting for tickets that they’ll make more money even if they no longer sell out.

I have to give $100 per seat now, so $200 per seat (two seats) is only $200 per year more. That I could stomach, but probably not any more than that. And only if the schedule starts to improve again (is it a coincidence that 2011 marks the return of Alabama to Beaver Stadium??). If we have schedules like what we had this year, I can see people giving up their seats at these prices. How many people will pick them up remains to be seen. I’m sure they will continue to sell out on a per game basis, but that defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do.

A home schedule like 2009 - makes the season ticket somewhat unappealing at any price above the current rate. Hopefully PSU realizes that eventually something has to give, demand for tickets is not completely inelastic. They seem to have mandated 8 home games to fund the athletic dept - makes sense - but that causes inflexibility on home and away series that will continue to be a schedule killer. I think they ought to look at 7 home games every few years as a way to fit in more high quality opponents. Even if sellouts continue, there are other effects from lousy schedules that are hard to quantify but real. e.g. less tv exposure, lower chance of making the BCS as an at large, etc. Curley seems to have a very mechanical approach to planning the athletic department. That’s fine as long as it is working, but I would hope he is aware of the potential downside. Quadrupling donation premiums for tickets - while simultaneously scheduling I-AA opponents somewhat regularly due to inflexible policies - could easily end up lowering demand. Unless the goal was having more single game tickets available I don’t get the magnitude of the increase

There are going to be four tiers of Nittany Lion Club contributions that will be tied to seat location. The lowest is rumored to be the current $200 for two seats in the endzone (or $100 per seat). I’ve seen the highest reported to be either $500 or $600 per seat for seats between the forties (that would be section WE or EE). So that leaves two tiers for four sections in each quadrant of the stadium (in the Northeast quadrant, that would be sections EF, EG, EH, EJ). A good guess would be $200 for EJ/EH and $400 for EG/EF (and $600 for EE).