PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Start of Another Conference Shakeup?

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but it look like A&M is out of the Big 12

Texas A&M Set to Leave Big 12

If they go to the SEC that could be a major development, breaking the semi-traditional 12 team model for good.

You almost feel that there’s things going on behind the curtains.

This might be the only recent conference jump where the school avoids a ‘termination’ fee. I get the feel that this is where it’s going.

The SEC came out and said they are not sending an invite to Texas A&M at this time. A&M then immediately comes out and says, “tell us how to get out” to the BIG XII.

I think if the SEC would have offered, and A&M would have accepted, they could be out as much as $10M. I think they still end up in the SEC.

Instead of further expansion, what if Vandy were shown the door? SEC schools do it to football players that don’t pan out (I think we’ve called it a “careference” or something), what if the conference does it to a school?

I have NO proof of this, but I find the fact NW’s football program took a big leap forward just after we joined the conference to be possibly more than just coincidence. 11 was an odd number, and I just have the feeling that the folks at NW didn’t want anyone to think that going back to 10 through subtraction was an option.

ESPN just said Big 12 looking at Pitt and Louisville to replace TAMU.

I find it comical that the Big 12 would have to resort to raiding the Big East to mend its fences. Desperation at its finest.

Pitt in the Big XII? And Lar thinks WE have a geography problem! :wink:

So let me get this straight…

TCU in the Big East

Pitt in the Big 12.

Can’t wait for that awesome Pitt/Iowa State tilt. Lots of bragging rights on the line for that one.

Who is kidding who here. This whole conference realignment thing is a little ridiculous, ya think. I hear the ACC is interested in Idaho and Wyoming if they lose schools to the SEC :wink:

The Miami factor is what everyone is waiting on. If Miami gets the death penalty in both revenue producing sports then they are shown the door by the rest of the ACC. That leaves the door open for a ACC type team from the SEC (Vandy, Gtech*) to bolt. It would preserve the current structure of college sports for as much as 10-20 years.

The Big 12 should just take Boise st. just to shut every one up. (Like what the Big East did with TCU)

*Not enough coffee it seems -facepalm.

GaTech IS in the ACC…but I’ve always felt that Vandy would be much better served as part of the ACC, even though they are firmly entrenched in the middle of the SEC, geographically speaking.

As for Boise, that would be both a step forward and backward. While they would certainly get more $$$ from the affiliation, they would also have a much tougher “road to hoe” :smiley: in the Big 12 and would probably end up being much like Texas Tech. A solid team, but one that loses to Texas and/or Oklahoma each year. Though, if they would run the table and win the Big 12 championship, then they would get an opportunity to play in the MNC…oh who am I kidding…as the MNC game just became the SEC vs Big Ten title game.

[quote=“charnold, post:8, topic:2627”]The Miami factor is what everyone is waiting on. If Miami gets the death penalty in both revenue producing sports then they are shown the door by the rest of the ACC. That leaves the door open for a ACC type team from the SEC (Vandy, Gtech*) to bolt. It would preserve the current structure of college sports for as much as 10-20 years.

The Big 12 should just take Boise st. just to shut every one up. (Like what the Big East did with TCU)

*Not enough coffee it seems -facepalm.[/quote]

Everybody always talks about Boise getting an invite to the Big 12, but the one thing nobody ever talks about is academics. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I do know that Boise State is not a great school academically. On top of that, their athletic program is nothing spectacular outside of football. A school getting an invite to a new conference based on the merits of one team in their entire athletic program seems a little odd to me, although I’m sure it’s happened before.

Pitt to the big 12 seems like a very strange move and I have a hard time believing that the big 12 is even going to exist in 10 years

The Miami factor is what everyone is waiting on. If Miami gets the death penalty in both revenue producing sports then they are shown the door by the rest of the ACC. That leaves the door open for a ACC type team from the SEC (Vandy, [s]Gtech[/s]*) to bolt. It would preserve the current structure of college sports for as much as 10-20 years.

*Not enough coffee it seems -facepalm.

Everybody always talks about Boise getting an invite to the Big 12, but the one thing nobody ever talks about is academics. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I do know that Boise State is not a great school academically. On top of that, their athletic program is nothing spectacular outside of football. A school getting an invite to a new conference based on the merits of one team in their entire athletic program seems a little odd to me, although I’m sure it’s happened before.

Most college conferences care little to nothing for academics!! They are SPORT conferences for the purpose of making money. Football is KING… the minor sports are…well…minor (or more politely…non revenue producing!)

Oklahoma now announces that they are “looking”.

This may either be the end of the BIG XII, or the start of the BIG VIII.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:13, topic:2627”]Oklahoma now announces that they are “looking”.

This may either be the end of the BIG XII, or the start of the BIG VIII.[/quote]

OK State’s big donor thinks they (OK State) are headed to the PAC 16. OK and Texas too. Texas knows they can’t keep the longhorn network if they switch. But if everyone else jumps ship, they have no choice.

Oklahoma now announces that they are "looking".

This may either be the end of the BIG XII, or the start of the BIG VIII.

OK State’s big donor thinks they (OK State) are headed to the PAC 16. OK and Texas too. Texas knows they can’t keep the longhorn network if they switch. But if everyone else jumps ship, they have no choice.

I say the Big 12 and the Big East should merge and make The Big Country. Then T. Boone Pickens can finance the league and make Bryant Reeves commissioner.

On that “Big Country” idea, here’s the latest rumor: “France and Switzerland to Join Big Ten; China and Lindsay Lohan to Join Big Twelve”

Here’s the link: http://www.dignittanyvolleyball.com/2011/09/06/dignittany-tv-news-france-and-switzerland-to-join-big-ten-china-and-lindsay-lohan-to-join-big-twelve/

Expect news about A&M and the SEC within the next day.

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram…

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09/06/3341526/texas-am-to-announce-move-to-sec.html

Time to officially add the Longhorn Network to the column of “Be Careful What You Wish For.”

Other schools might not have the fan support to start their own network, but they aren’t going to just sit idly by and allow themselves to be put at such an extreme competitive disadvantage.

I agree, Iao… Looks like the network will have to be re-thought in order to get into the PAC 16.

You can’t have a moneymaking sports machine without competitors. It’s why revenue sharing in major league baseball makes sense. The golden goose if college football, not your football team.