PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Something To Be Proud Of

With the announcement of the “sanctions” ??? :wink: against UConn yesterday, here’s a related article that was in USA Today…

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/02/with-uconn-out-list-of-programs-without-a-major-infractions-down-to-two–/1

People can be critical about the way some things are handled by the Athletic Department here at PSU, but this is something we are doing right and something to be proud of. I don’t want PSU’s integrity to be potentially sacrificed for “success on the the field/court” by taking any short cuts or hiring any “name coaches” (in any sport) with questionable issues in their background.

No doubt…but I don’t want it to be used as a crutch or an excuse why certain aspects of the AD aren’t up to par on the field.

In order to achieve “Success With Honor,” you must achieve “Success.”

We may not have had much success in mbb but you can’t say our Athletic Department hasn’t had success.

So what you’re saying is that in order to achieve success with honor, we must first achieve success at any cost, then work up to the honor part?

No thank you, Sir. As critical as I am of the current staff, I’m not willing to suggest that Al Davis’ mantra of 'Just win, baby!" applies to PSU. And we did have success w/ honor in men’s bb during the Parkhill era…

[quote="NationBuilder, post:3, topic:1984"]In order to achieve "Success With Honor," you must achieve "Success."[/quote]

So what you’re saying is that in order to achieve success with honor, we must first achieve success at any cost, then work up to the honor part?

No thank you, Sir. As critical as I am of the current staff, I’m not willing to suggest that Al Davis’ mantra of 'Just win, baby!" applies to PSU. And we did have success w/ honor in men’s bb during the Parkhill era…

I’m not sure how you read into my post in that way. That was not implied whatsoever.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:3, topic:1984"]In order to achieve "Success With Honor," you must achieve "Success."[/quote]

It is very hard to “win with honor” in college basketball. It is trivial, though, to “lose with honor”. Look at Cal Tech, for example. So I can’t give PSU credit here for losing with integrity when I think they can do better than they are without selling their souls. … and since when is NOT being able to supply the team a workable PRACTICE FACILITY a symptom of altruism?

The impressive thing about PSU as an athletic department is the avoidance of ANY violations, in a huge business that has over a dozen teams that could potentially slip up while no one is looking. This amazes me when you consider that just one coach, or just on booster, could have ruined it at any time. Of course, we have Joe Paterno taking care of the $ucce$$ portion of things and I don’t think people realize his effect. We’ll see what happens when he’s gone and we start seeing sections of empty seats in Beaver stadium.

[quote=“PSUWIN, post:1, topic:1984”]With the announcement of the “sanctions” ??? :wink: against UConn yesterday, here’s a related article that was in USA Today…

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/02/with-uconn-out-list-of-programs-without-a-major-infractions-down-to-two–/1

People can be critical about the way some things are handled by the Athletic Department here at PSU, but this is something we are doing right and something to be proud of. I don’t want PSU’s integrity to be potentially sacrificed for “success on the the field/court” by taking any short cuts or hiring any “name coaches” (in any sport) with questionable issues in their background. [/quote]

Sorry I had to vent a bit, PSUWIN. I know you were just trying to be uplifting here :slight_smile: Being one of only two schools to never get in trouble is great!

[quote=“PSUWIN, post:1, topic:1984”]With the announcement of the “sanctions” ??? :wink: against UConn yesterday, here’s a related article that was in USA Today…

People can be critical about the way some things are handled by the Athletic Department here at PSU, but this is something we are doing right and something to be proud of. I don’t want PSU’s integrity to be potentially sacrificed for “success on the the field/court” by taking any short cuts or hiring any “name coaches” (in any sport) with questionable issues in their background. [/quote]

We do NOT have success in basketball so…PSU integrity record comes down to ONE PERSON…JoePa.

Joe has let the boosters know that HE is in charge and he will not tolerate ANY interference or cheating…at the same time as being a great fund raiser! Not an easy trick!

Another interesting thing here is that Stanford is the other school. Looking at athletic depts as a whole and not just at FB and MBB, they probably have the most successful one. They always seem to run away with the Directors Cup by a larger margin.

[quote="PSUWIN, post:1, topic:1984"]With the announcement of the "sanctions" ??? ;) against UConn yesterday, here's a related article that was in USA Today...

People can be critical about the way some things are handled by the Athletic Department here at PSU, but this is something we are doing right and something to be proud of. I don’t want PSU’s integrity to be potentially sacrificed for “success on the the field/court” by taking any short cuts or hiring any “name coaches” (in any sport) with questionable issues in their background.[/quote]

We do NOT have success in basketball so…PSU integrity record comes down to ONE PERSON…JoePa.

Joe has let the boosters know that HE is in charge and he will not tolerate ANY interference or cheating…at the same time as being a great fund raiser! Not an easy trick!

I love JoePa’s quote when he does his fundraising, “I want your money, not your two cents!” ;D

I came to post this. It is pretty amazing and is something that makes me very proud to be an alum.

It is very hard to “win with honor” in college basketball. It is trivial, though, to “lose with honor”. Look at Cal Tech, for example. So I can’t give PSU credit here for losing with integrity when I think they can do better than they are without selling their souls. … and since when is NOT being able to supply the team a workable PRACTICE FACILITY a symptom of altruism?

The impressive thing about PSU as an athletic department is the avoidance of ANY violations, in a huge business that has over a dozen teams that could potentially slip up while no one is looking. This amazes me when you consider that just one coach, or just on booster, could have ruined it at any time. Of course, we have Joe Paterno taking care of the $ucce$$ portion of things and I don’t think people realize his effect. We’ll see what happens when he’s gone and we start seeing sections of empty seats in Beaver stadium.

I think that mens cbb is by far the slimiest, dirtiest, sleeziest business in all of college sports, perhaps in all of sports period.

I think you are working at huge disadvantages when you are trying to do things the right way.

I’m not by any means making excuses, but I think that this is a big factor.

One-and-doners. Pearl, Calhoun. Collegiate “match-makers”. Boosters. AAU coaches being hired as assistants. The entire AAU system period. $100M arenas being built by a dozen kids who’s scholarships are worth 1/10th of the Head Coach’s salary?

It’s really dirty.

I think that mens cbb is by far the slimiest, dirtiest, sleeziest business in all of college sports, perhaps in all of sports period.

I think you are working at huge disadvantages when you are trying to do things the right way.

One-and-doners. Pearl, Calhoun. Collegiate “match-makers”. Boosters. AAU coaches being hired as assistants. The entire AAU system period. $100M arenas being built by a dozen kids who’s scholarships are worth 1/10th of the Head Coach’s salary?

It’s really dirty.

Point taken!! BUT, college football is pretty close. I just think there are MORE power hungry booster in football.

[quote="Skeeza, post:13, topic:1984"]I think that mens cbb is by far the slimiest, dirtiest, sleeziest business in all of college sports, perhaps in all of sports period.

It’s really dirty.[/quote]

Point taken!! BUT, college football is pretty close. I just think there are MORE power hungry booster in football.

I think basketball has 2 things that make it far more dirtier than football.

1.) It only takes 1 kid to put you in the national spotlight. Penn State lands Sulllinger, they are probably TOP 10, EASILY Top 20. The demand for each one of these 5-star kids are amplified. Football needs a group of kids to make a difference.

2.) AAU. I don’t think football has an equal to the AAU program. High school is almost irrelevant in basketball. The slime that surrounds these AAU programs are unprecedented.

I’m happy that we have a clean program, but I would like to see a little more success. I don’t see why we can’t win more games while doing things the right way.