PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Sign Up Folks

It’s approaching 2:00am in the East and I’m on this board with Saints23 and 45 Guests. Sign up and let’s hear from you. Use this thread to post your first post and tell us about your closet fan fascination with PSU Hoops.

You don’t have to know anything about basketball to join, just look at UncleLar, kidcoyote and a few others on this board, including yours truly :wink:

So what are you waiting for…come out of the closet and join the fun. Well, not exactly that way…not that there’s anything wrong with that. :smiley:

Unfortunately, no one has taken the bait thus far… Come on people! Show your PSU pride!

Doesn’t tjb have to approve all new applicants? Hopefully, you convinced a few lurkers to sign up and contribute in the future.

Yeah, I think he does. So that might be the reason why we haven’t seen anyone take me up on the offer to join and post.

I hope to see a flood of “new” fans soon.

Come on people…we don’t bite. (Well now that Rokk is history, we don’t bite :smiley: )

No one in the queue.

Lurkers are OK by me.

Are all the “guests” at 2am really humans?

It is a bit strange that there are more guests online at 2am than 10:30am. I’d venture a guess that bot/spider traffic is being recorded as a guest.

[quote=“Tom, post:6, topic:2738”]Are all the “guests” at 2am really humans?

It is a bit strange that there are more guests online at 2am than 10:30am. I’d venture a guess that bot/spider traffic is being recorded as a guest.[/quote]

I like this as a potential explanation. We suffer from constant interest from spam factories, in which humans (paid some unprincely sum) from the third world register on forums to then recommend some miracle cure, diet, etc. The entry question (which I forget) seems to stop them from actually registering. And when they get through, I kill them (their user names are easily googled and spotted on all manner of other forums).

I originally instituted moderator approval during a sky-is-falling period, mainly to provide a cooling off period for those who registered to post that [ED | Curley | JayPa] is the imbecilic root of all evil. When I approved them 24 hours later, they usually cooled down. :slight_smile:

Not for nothing but I need a miracle diet right about now. >:(

[quote="Tom, post:6, topic:2738"]Are all the "guests" at 2am really humans?

It is a bit strange that there are more guests online at 2am than 10:30am. I’d venture a guess that bot/spider traffic is being recorded as a guest.[/quote]

I like this as a potential explanation. We suffer from constant interest from spam factories, in which humans (paid some unprincely sum) from the third world register on forums to then recommend some miracle cure, diet, etc. The entry question (which I forget) seems to stop them from actually registering. And when they get through, I kill them (their user names are easily googled and spotted on all manner of other forums).

I originally instituted moderator approval during a sky-is-falling period, mainly to provide a cooling off period for those who registered to post that [ED | Curley | JayPa] is the imbecilic root of all evil. When I approved them 24 hours later, they usually cooled down. :slight_smile:

I’m no tech genius…actually the opposite of that…tech dunce?? But I guess that’s a good explanation.

Currently (exactly 12 hours after I started this thread) we have 71 guests…26 more than at 2:00am. 71 seems like a high number to me to be here on a Wednesday afternoon during the off-season, so there probably is some merit to your thought.

And I like the fact that Tim doesn’t mind lurkers. There are many people in this world who just like sitting and reading and don’t need to be the center of attention like the rest of us :wink:

Guests could include:

Bots/spiders
Those folks who are behind some proxy that gives them a different IP address each time they hit the site
Those folks that don’t stay logged in, and hit the site as a ‘guest’ then log in.
The “guest” could have been here X amount of minutes/hours ago, but the code still counts that as a guest (I’d think this would be configurable by Tim)
And then just your typical shy lurkers.

[quote=“Tom, post:10, topic:2738”]Guests could include:

Bots/spiders
Those folks who are behind some proxy that gives them a different IP address each time they hit the site
Those folks that don’t stay logged in, and hit the site as a ‘guest’ then log in.
The “guest” could have been here X amount of minutes/hours ago, but the code still counts that as a guest (I’d think this would be configurable by Tim)
And then just your typical shy lurkers.[/quote]

Half the time I forget to log in. So that’s at least one of them.

[quote=“Tom, post:10, topic:2738”]Guests could include:

Bots/spiders

You forgot PSUStretch/Tim Curley/Assistant Coaches/Players :slight_smile:

[quote="Tom, post:10, topic:2738"]Guests could include:

Bots/spiders

Eh, they’re just shy lurkers :slight_smile:

Bots/spiders

And Rokk, stopping by while serving his penance.

Bots/spiders

It started at 22 years, 22 months, 22 days, 22 hours, 22 minutes, 22 seconds back in the spring of 2009 after PSU won the NIT…correct? So now it’s at approximately 22 years, 4 months, 2 days, 4 hours, 20 minutes, 15 seconds and counting. So he hasn’t even dented the “years” column yet.

I often show up as a “guest” if I’ve recently done a computer ‘clean up’ and I don’t feel like logging in again. I’ll then log in when I have a comment to make.

Bots/spiders

It started at 22 years, 22 months, 22 days, 22 hours, 22 minutes, 22 seconds back in the spring of 2009 after PSU won the NIT…correct? So now it’s at approximately 22 years, 4 months, 2 days, 4 hours, 20 minutes, 15 seconds and counting. So he hasn’t even dented the “years” column yet.

He later modified that “or until DeChellis gets fired”.

I’m sure if he came back here, he’d further modify it to “or until DeChellis leaves town”.

Bots/spiders

He later modified that “or until DeChellis gets fired”.

I’m sure if he came back here, he’d further modify it to “or until DeChellis leaves town”.

Or “Until Chambers leaves and DeChellis is rehired, just to prove how stupid Curley is”

Or maybe he just has nothing to complain about…

Nah ;D