OT:Siena vs. Butler

For those who’d like to see a Fran McCaffrey coached team, Siena is hanging with Butler at Butler on espn2. 34-32 Siena with 16 minutes left. Butler big man just sent to bench with 4 fouls.

For those who think Siena may have players who are good enough to play at PSU, but may not be strong enough academically, I knew an assistant baseball coach who was their main recruiter and he said they could get you in with 900 SAT’s(the old test with math and english only, not the 3 part test). So, that’s their minimum. No idea what PSU’s minimum is.

Butler >*

Bears, Beats, Butler Basketball

Not sure what that means, great than multiply? Butler’s at home and ranked 13th. Re OOC, Siena has played Temple(20th), Ga Tech, St. John’s, Northern Iowa(24th) and now Butler. They lost all those and may lose today, but they’re 15-1 in conference. If you’re familiar with James Allen’s classic book, As a Man Thinketh, McCaffrey has his players think they can play with anybody, so he schedules difficult OOC games. Makes their conference games even easier.

It means greater than everything. :wink:

They’re my favorite non-PSU team, although this year’s version doesn’t quite play the same style I admired when I first started following them closely.

Rossiter doesn’t look any quicker than Sasa, but he killed OSU in NCAA’s last year. Had very big game. And OSU had Mullens.

He’s a good ball player. Howard is also, but neither does it in a very pretty looking way.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:5, topic:863”]It means greater than everything. :wink:

They’re my favorite non-PSU team, although this year’s version doesn’t quite play the same style I admired when I first started following them closely.[/quote]

For me, Butler is like an underground band or great restaurant that you discover before everyone else.

I started following them really closely, and went to Hinkle for the first time, toward the end of my senior year in high school (2000-01). It was the year Matta was coaching them. I remember falling in love with the way they played…Thomas Jackson and Rylan Hainje were the best players on that team. They destroyed Wake Forest in the NCAAs. They were up something like 40-16 at the half. I ended up playing D-3 basketball after transferring from Penn State and Todd Lickliter’s nephew was our assistant. Meanwhile, I dated a girl who went to Butler. I went to so many games then right when they were really, really getting good, including driving on the spur of the moment to Albany to see them in the Sweet 16 (using a leftover ticket from none other than Brad Steven’s stash).

Funny thing is, the better they got, the more I sort of resented some things about the program…mostly how pretentious some of the fans could be. Now, I just get tired of hearing person after person after person saying that “the Butler Way” is the way the game is supposed to be played. I guess it has been the equivalent of having a favorite band sign a huge record deal and then seeing new people show up to watch them and tell you why they’re so great.

I work with a guy who has season tickets and it’s pretty nauseating hearing him talk about how great they are…though I’m sure to get under his skin by saying Butler would finish no better than fourth or fifth in the Big Ten.

But Hinkle Fieldhouse remains an amazing place to watch basketball…so Butler will always have that going for them.

Did you hear how the Butler coach’s journey to that head coaching job? He was a Eli Lilly salesman, got a job as an assistant HS coach for a famous Indiana HS coach(I thought they said Dean Smith, but might’ve been Gene Smith). He was recommended to Thad Matta by that coach, then Matta left. Beats selling pharmaceuticals.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:863"]It means greater than everything. ;)

They’re my favorite non-PSU team, although this year’s version doesn’t quite play the same style I admired when I first started following them closely.[/quote]

For me, Butler is like an underground band or great restaurant that you discover before everyone else.

I started following them really closely, and went to Hinkle for the first time, toward the end of my senior year in high school (2000-01). It was the year Matta was coaching them. I remember falling in love with the way they played…Thomas Jackson and Rylan Hainje were the best players on that team. They destroyed Wake Forest in the NCAAs. They were up something like 40-16 at the half. I ended up playing D-3 basketball after transferring from Penn State and Todd Lickliter’s nephew was our assistant. Meanwhile, I dated a girl who went to Butler. I went to so many games then right when they were really, really getting good, including driving on the spur of the moment to Albany to see them in the Sweet 16 (using a leftover ticket from none other than Brad Steven’s stash).

Funny thing is, the better they got, the more I sort of resented some things about the program…mostly how pretentious some of the fans could be. Now, I just get tired of hearing person after person after person saying that “the Butler Way” is the way the game is supposed to be played. I guess it has been the equivalent of having a favorite band sign a huge record deal and then seeing new people show up to watch them and tell you why they’re so great.

I work with a guy who has season tickets and it’s pretty nauseating hearing him talk about how great they are…though I’m sure to get under his skin by saying Butler would finish no better than fourth or fifth in the Big Ten.

But Hinkle Fieldhouse remains an amazing place to watch basketball…so Butler will always have that going for them.

That’s a pretty good analogy, luckily I’m much further removed from the program so I don’t have to deal with any of that.

Stu Jackson went from an IBM sales rep to a grad assistant at Oregon, then eventually to head coaching jobs at Wisconsin, the Knicks, and the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Coach was Pete Smith, whom I’ve never heard desribed as a legend until during today’s broadcast. Solid coach, but definitely not legendary…I digress.

The Stevens route is even more interesting than described. He got that taste of coaching and decided to leave his job. He wound up working in Butler’s bookstore and serving as a volunteer for the Bulldogs. His wife also worked at Lilly, which helped pay bills. Brad wound up interviewing for the assistant job at that same D-3 program I’d later transer to, but my eventual coach told him that if he really wanted to coach at the D-1 level he should stay at Butler or another D-1 even if it meant sacrifices in terms of money. Shortly after that, Matta left and Lickliter stepped in, making Stevens an assistant. Five years later…he’s the hot young prodigy.

He makes about $220,000 a year…I’ll be interested to see if he stays at Butler or eventually chases the big pay days that came to Collier and Lickliter.

I’ll be more interested in seeing if Butler takes the next step and begins recruiting the way the Zags do now. They have a nice pool of talent for sure, but outside of Hayward they haven’t really gotten any of their success with pro-caliber talent - it’s mostly role players just doing their jobs well. I am very curious to see if they become the perennial mid-major power of the midwest like Gonzaga is in the west - i’m hoping they do, but I don’t know if Stevens is the recruiter Few is.