OT: SEC Fines South Carolina $25k

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4863093

SEC commissioner Mike Slive said the policy is to keep a safe environment for those who participate and attend league events.

Agree or Disagree?

Rushing the court (or field) is one of the most emotional events in all of sports. Especially if you are one of the individuals rushing the court (I’ve only done this in high school, but even that was amazing).

Is there a history of injuries during these things? Besides that, I think its terrific for the game.

I read that alumni at the game were volunteering dollar bills to the Ath. Dir. on their way out of the arena to pay for the inevitable fine.

hides in the corner from UncleLar

Yes.

I read on Rivals that Demarcus Cousins punched somebody? Anybody hear about that?

[quote="noobd, post:1, topic:749"][Is there a history of injuries during these things?[/quote]

Yes.

Care to expand? Saying “Yes” doesn’t really inform me of the history.

Rushing the court is a lot of fun… for about 3-5 seconds, then you realize that you’re at mid-court, are overheating by the body heat generated when thousands of students merge onto one court, and have to try to fight your way out of the masses. I’ve done it two or three times at Penn State games and had the same experience every time - it’s awesome until it becomes incredibly overcrowded.

I was tripped one time while rushing out to center court, but luckily a fellow student was nice enough to quickly grab me and pull me back to my feet. I can easily see how someone could be trampled during something like that.

That being said, watching students rush the court is one of the great spectacles of college basketball. I don’t think it should be taken away.

[quote="noobd, post:1, topic:749"][Is there a history of injuries during these things?[/quote]

Yes.

I attened the PL champ game in Lewisburg a few years back when BU won their 2nd bid. My son (5th/6th grade at the time?) wanted to rush the floor, but I made him wait to go on to the floor until the inital surge was over, as I thought it a dangerous enviornment for someone of his size and age…

With that said, you rush the floor, don’t you assume some level of risk? A $25k fine. That’s stupid.

Of course, if Kty was ranked #10 or something, they should be fined for overexuberance. :wink:

Yes.

I attened the PL champ game in Lewisburg a few years back when BU won their 2nd bid. My son (5th/6th grade at the time?) wanted to rush the floor, but I made him wait to go on to the floor until the inital surge was over, as I thought it a dangerous enviornment for someone of his size and age…

With that said, you rush the floor, don’t you assume some level of risk? A $25k fine. That’s stupid.

Of course, if Kty was ranked #10 or something, they should be fined for overexuberance. :wink:

I think that’s the bigger picture. The rushing the floor has gotten out of hand. Last night was understandable. Earlier this season UM rushed the floor after beating UConn ???

Yes.

Care to expand? Saying “Yes” doesn’t really inform me of the history.

Joe Kay - Stanford

I agree that rushing the court should be reserved for very special moments - I think last night was pretty justified.

I just don’t see what a fine to the school is really going to do. You’re not going to be able to stop several thousand people who decide they want to come on the floor at once, it’s just not going to happen. And nobody is going to feel bad for the schools for getting fined and just stop because of that either.

If anything - they need to embrace that it’s going to happen and try to get more organized about how to best let it happen, rather than throwing underpaid ushers and security toy-cops to in front of the stampede and expecting them to have any effect other than causing more danger for themselves and others.

I though Cal should’ve pulled his guys off the line at the end last night and gotten them close to the locker room while he had a chance and saw the rush was coming.