PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT : Roy Jones Jr vs Bernard Hopkins II

Anyone watch the Roy Jones Jr vs Bernard Hopkins fight last night? The undercard was great. Sergio Mora came back from a 19 month layoff to win by TKO impressively. He’s becoming one of my favorite boxers.

The main event was wild. Before I share my thoughts, I’d like to know if any of you guys watched this fight and what you thought about it. For some reason, I was really looking forward to this fight and although it wasn’t pretty, I thought it delivered an interesting fight that can be viewed in many ways. Not often do you get a chance to watch two guys in their 40’s lace em up and put on a competitive fight.

I watched it, and I think it burnt my eyeballs. Jones can’t pull the trigger anymore, and B-Hop was as tactical as ever. I love Hopkins, but leading with his head, hitting RJJ behind the head and then complaning when he got hit behind the head, etc. were a bit much (the first shot behind his head was a definite cheap shot by RJJ). Unfortunately, it was the only real action in the fight. Hopefully RJJ retires and B-Hop never steps in the ring with David Haye.

I also saw it:

1. Reminds me of WWF now
  2. Waste of money
  3. I was at Champs Sports Bar and it was a $10 cover to see the fight in the front room. Only 42 people there. Boxing is in real trouble

[quote="NICU, post:2, topic:1088"]I watched it, and I think it burnt my eyeballs. Jones can't pull the trigger anymore, and B-Hop was as tactical as ever. I love Hopkins, but leading with his head, hitting RJJ behind the head and then complaning when he got hit behind the head, etc. were a bit much (the first shot behind his head was a definite cheap shot by RJJ). Unfortunately, it was the only real action in the fight. Hopefully RJJ retires and B-Hop never steps in the ring with David Haye.[/quote]

I also saw it:

1. Reminds me of WWF now
  2. Waste of money
  3. I was at Champs Sports Bar and it was a $10 cover to see the fight in the front room. Only 42 people there. Boxing is in real trouble

The thing is, boxing isn’t in trouble at all. There are so many great fights coming up in the next couple of months it will be awesome. For some reason, these old geezers have names and it was one of the few fights that drew casual fans. This fight should never have happened, let alone been on PPV. RJJ was knocked out in the first round of his last fight. He should have retired after getting starched by Glen Johnson about 5 years ago. B-Hop still has his technical savvy, but he is 45 and not nearly as good as he once was.

Watch Paul Williams vs. Kermit Cintron, Mikkel Kessler vs. Carl Froch, Mayweather vs. Mosley or a number of other fights in April and May. Please, just don’t let this piece of garbage ruin your thoughts on boxing.

[quote="NICU, post:2, topic:1088"]I watched it, and I think it burnt my eyeballs. Jones can't pull the trigger anymore, and B-Hop was as tactical as ever. I love Hopkins, but leading with his head, hitting RJJ behind the head and then complaning when he got hit behind the head, etc. were a bit much (the first shot behind his head was a definite cheap shot by RJJ). Unfortunately, it was the only real action in the fight. Hopefully RJJ retires and B-Hop never steps in the ring with David Haye.[/quote]

I also saw it:

1. Reminds me of WWF now
  2. Waste of money

The thing is, boxing isn’t in trouble at all. There are so many great fights coming up in the next couple of months it will be awesome. For some reason, these old geezers have names and it was one of the few fights that drew casual fans. This fight should never have happened, let alone been on PPV. RJJ was knocked out in the first round of his last fight. He should have retired after getting starched by Glen Johnson about 5 years ago. B-Hop still has his technical savvy, but he is 45 and not nearly as good as he once was.

Watch Paul Williams vs. Kermit Cintron, Mikkel Kessler vs. Carl Froch, Mayweather vs. Mosley or a number of other fights in April and May. Please, just don’t let this piece of garbage ruin your thoughts on boxing.

It is in trouble in the sense that the general public does not care. I don’t care how many good fighters and fights there are. No one outside of the diehards cares.

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:1, topic:1088”]Anyone watch the Roy Jones Jr vs Bernard Hopkins fight last night? The undercard was great. Sergio Mora came back from a 19 month layoff to win by TKO impressively. He’s becoming one of my favorite boxers.

The main event was wild. Before I share my thoughts, I’d like to know if any of you guys watched this fight and what you thought about it. For some reason, I was really looking forward to this fight and although it wasn’t pretty, I thought it delivered an interesting fight that can be viewed in many ways. Not often do you get a chance to watch two guys in their 40’s lace em up and put on a competitive fight.[/quote]

I take it that Sergio Mora is the same guy from the 1st season of The Contender. I actually thought the 1st season of that was really entertaining. It actually made me have some degree of interest in boxing.

Anyone watch the Roy Jones Jr vs Bernard Hopkins fight last night? The undercard was great. Sergio Mora came back from a 19 month layoff to win by TKO impressively. He's becoming one of my favorite boxers.

The main event was wild. Before I share my thoughts, I’d like to know if any of you guys watched this fight and what you thought about it. For some reason, I was really looking forward to this fight and although it wasn’t pretty, I thought it delivered an interesting fight that can be viewed in many ways. Not often do you get a chance to watch two guys in their 40’s lace em up and put on a competitive fight.

I take it that Sergio Mora is the same guy from the 1st season of The Contender. I actually thought the 1st season of that was really entertaining. It actually made me have some degree of interest in boxing.

I think the casual boxing fans still care about the big fights, but I’m sure the viewship for HBO’s Boxing After Dark cards and ESPN’s Friday Night Fights are definitely down. It’s just a shame that a fight like this is able to draw casual fans to the sport. Anybody who follows boxing knew it was going to be a HUGE dud. Fights like this do have a negative impact on the sport, for sure.

Another issue - similar to college basketball, the biggest names don’t always make the best fights. I bet a casual college basketball fan that watched the Final Four this past weekend would say college basketball is boring. Maybe a bad analogy, but somebody who just watches the big names fight will miss out on a lot of great, exciting fights.

It is Sergio Mora from Contender. He actually won a belt, albeit very briefly, when he out-pointed the late Vernon Forrest. Forrest beat him in the immediate rematch. At one point he was lined up to fight Kelly Pavlik, but the fight fell through for some reason.

Hilarious twitter post by one of my favorite boxing writers, Steve Kim.

http://twitter.com/stevemaxboxing/statuses/11654369824
"Isn’t being surprised at the suckitude of Hopkins-Jones like being stunned by Ricky Martin coming out of the closet last week?"

100% correct. I remember watching “friday night fights” on ESPN with my dad. We marveled at this new guy “tyson”.

I don’t think I’ve seen a boxing match in 10 years. If I wanted to see a fight on TV right now, where would I go? I don’t get HBO, and don’t buy pay per view. I’m a pretty “average” sports fan (except for PSU hoops, for which there is no explanation ;D ) Tell me when was the last time you:

• Watched a fight on “regular” TV (a channel that “most” people would get)
  • Saw fight highlights on Sportcenter
  • Knew a fighter by name who was less than 30 yrs old?
  • talked about a fight with someone at work

I haven’t done any of these in a LONG time. Boxing is already being taken over by MMA. It’s like boxing, only it’s more violent but has fairer outcomes (two things that give it a leg up on boxing IMO).

I think the whole sport is in BIG trouble…

It is in trouble in the sense that the general public does not care. I don't care how many good fighters and fights there are. No one outside of the diehards cares.
100% correct. I remember watching "friday night fights" on ESPN with my dad. We marveled at this new guy "tyson".

I don’t think I’ve seen a boxing match in 10 years. If I wanted to see a fight on TV right now, where would I go? I don’t get HBO, and don’t buy pay per view. I’m a pretty “average” sports fan (except for PSU hoops, for which there is no explanation ;D ) Tell me when was the last time you:

I haven’t done any of these in a LONG time. Boxing is already being taken over by MMA. It’s like boxing, only it’s more violent but has fairer outcomes (two things that give it a leg up on boxing IMO).

Personally, I fit all the categories above, but I am a die hard boxing fan. I watch tons of fights on channels that most people get. ESPN, FoxSports, and in CA some of the Mexican channels have boxing. Everybody who gets Spike or whatever channel MMA is shown on also gets those channels. If there is a great knockout on FNF, I guarantee it will be in SportsCenters top 10. I also see highlights of the mega fights on ESPN all the time. I found out Pacman beat Clottey in a boring fight while watching SC at a bar. I won’t even bother with all the good prospects who are out there. Truthfully, I don’t know their ages, but there are a slew of talented young fighters. I talk about boxing with people at work a decent amount, though I talk to my non-die hard fan friends about it more.

The fact there are no really good American heavyweights has really hurt boxing, as has the amount of money fighters want for each fight (that’s why you don’t see boxing on regular TV anymore). I won’t go into the MMA vs. boxing issue on this site, but I don’t think an MMA card has ever sold 45,000 tickets like the recent Pacman fight did. I don’t think MMA fighters make $15-20 million for a fight like many boxers have (this proves the ticket sales, PPV sales, etc are strong for boxing, though I hate how money has hurt the sport). I also don’t know if MMA’s PPV numbers regularly do as well as boxing’s (they might, I really don’t know). I think MMA is a threat to boxing, but certainly don’t think it has already taken over.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:5, topic:1088"]It is in trouble in the sense that the general public does not care. I don't care how many good fighters and fights there are. No one outside of the diehards cares.[/quote] 100% correct. I remember watching "friday night fights" on ESPN with my dad. We marveled at this new guy "tyson".

Personally, I fit all the categories above, but I am a die hard boxing fan. I watch tons of fights on channels that most people get. ESPN, FoxSports, and in CA some of the Mexican channels have boxing. Everybody who gets Spike or whatever channel MMA is shown on also gets those channels. If there is a great knockout on FNF, I guarantee it will be in SportsCenters top 10. I also see highlights of the mega fights on ESPN all the time. I found out Pacman beat Clottey in a boring fight while watching SC at a bar. I won’t even bother with all the good prospects who are out there. Truthfully, I don’t know their ages, but there are a slew of talented young fighters. I talk about boxing with people at work a decent amount, though I talk to my non-die hard fan friends about it more.

The fact there are no really good American heavyweights has really hurt boxing, as has the amount of money fighters want for each fight (that’s why you don’t see boxing on regular TV anymore). I won’t go into the MMA vs. boxing issue on this site, but I don’t think an MMA card has ever sold 45,000 tickets like the recent Pacman fight did. I don’t think MMA fighters make $15-20 million for a fight like many boxers have (this proves the ticket sales, PPV sales, etc are strong for boxing, though I hate how money has hurt the sport). I also don’t know if MMA’s PPV numbers regularly do as well as boxing’s (they might, I really don’t know). I think MMA is a threat to boxing, but certainly don’t think it has already taken over.

From my experience people old enough to have watched Tyson in his prime tend to prefer boxing, younger people prefer MMA. The first Tyson fight I watched was the Buster Douglas fight. Most people older than me go for boxing, younger MMA.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:5, topic:1088"]It is in trouble in the sense that the general public does not care. I don't care how many good fighters and fights there are. No one outside of the diehards cares.[/quote] 100% correct. I remember watching "friday night fights" on ESPN with my dad. We marveled at this new guy "tyson".

I’m one who thinks that that MMA has passed them by.

MarkH hit it on the head when he talked about fighter recognition. Usually, the MMA fighters are a lot more recognizable than the boxers. Sure, the HUGE fights draw a lot, but as far as volume, I’m not sure they have MMA beat. MMA has a card almost every other month. Boxing has a big one every one or two years.

As far as profits, have you ever gone to an MMA card? Sure, it may be in 25K seat arenas, but CHEAPEST tix are usually bringing around $150. There’s lots of money being made, maybe not all by the fighters.

MMA has a lot of advantages, but like was said already, I don’t want to take this thread there.

From my experience people old enough to have watched Tyson in his prime tend to prefer boxing, younger people prefer MMA. The first Tyson fight I watched was the Buster Douglas fight. Most people older than me go for boxing, younger MMA.

I don’t care for either. I had a passing interest in boxing years ago when HBO would have huge bouts as part of its programming but I thnk I lost interest when anything resembling a huge fight had to be bought on PPV. I guess I would watch a fight if I had already paid for it (the HBO model) but no interest in buying PPV. Which is probably part of the reason I have no interest in MMA. Can I even see that on regular TV? I guess for the most part I’ve gotten to a point in my life where watching 2 guys tryin to kick the other’s ass does nothing for me. I even think fighting in hockey is stupid.