OT - RIP Manute Bol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5305868

Wow. I saw a bio show about Bol many years ago. VERY bizarre. After his playing career he moved back to Africa and was penniless and hospitalized for years with little ability to move from illnesses concerning his height.

Are you sure about that? ???

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:1234"]Wow. I saw a bio show about Bol many years ago. VERY bizarre. After his playing career he moved back to Africa and was penniless and hospitalized for years with little ability to move from illnesses concerning his height.[/quote]

Yes, I am sure of some issues. I remember Bol’s African years approx 1996 - 2004 were VERY bizarre. He was involved in many activist issues but also had many family members murdered in political fighting in the Sudan. I know he was hospitalized for a couple of years. I don’t remember the exact illness. But he was bedridden. It may have been similar rheumatism which caused him to retire from basketball. He had several very dificult years after he had spend/lost his money and before he returned to the USA.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:1234"]Wow. I saw a bio show about Bol many years ago. VERY bizarre. After his playing career he moved back to Africa and was penniless and hospitalized for years with little ability to move from illnesses concerning his height.[/quote]

Yes, I am sure of some issues. I remember Bol’s African years approx 1996 - 2004 were VERY bizarre. He was involved in many activist issues but also had many family members murdered in political fighting in the Sudan. I know he was hospitalized for a couple of years. I don’t remember the exact illness. But he was bedridden. It may have been similar rheumatism which caused him to retire from basketball. He had several very dificult years after he had spend/lost his money and before he returned to the USA.

I don’t think spend/lose accurately conveys what Bol did with his money. He used it to support family and humanitarian causes in the Sudan. And his hospitalization was from injuries suffered in a motor vehicle accident when a cab he was riding in ran into a guard rail on a highway in Connecticut.

I don’t think spend/lose accurately conveys what Bol did with his money. He used it to support family and humanitarian causes in the Sudan. And his hospitalization was from injuries suffered in a motor vehicle accident when a cab he was riding in ran into a guard rail on a highway in Connecticut.

Yes, according to his obit in the SF Chronicle he donated almost all of his $6 million salary to Sudanese charities. He made $6 million in his entire career, not a season.

Something that more athletes should strongly consider instead of blowing their money gambling (a certain NBA player we discussed on here), fancy cars and other “stuff”.

RIP Manute.

NOT correct…at least on point 2. AFTER he came back to the USA he was injured in an auto accident. I’ll say it for the third time. I saw a bio show. Bol returned to Africa after his playing days. At first everything was great. Bol was rich with his NBA money. Bol funded many great projects in the Sudan. I think he married 3 or more wives. BUT things changed. Many family members were murdered during political unrest in the Sudan. He was hospitalized and penniless for years before he started to communicate with a prior friend from the Maryland area. This friend was responsible in getting Bol back to the states. Shortly after returning to the USA Bol was involved in an auto accident.

Having covered the NBA throughout the 90’s, I took a liking to Manute. He had a terrific sense of humor. I remember one time on the Sixers, Barkley and Mahorn set him up for a prank. Check this out…

Barkley Prank on Manute Bol

He will certainly be missed.

One of the best Sportscenter pieces of all time was when Manute Bol hit six triples in one game (it might have even been one half).

with Don Nelson, they were probably set plays…does anyone remember the game where he blocked 4 shots in one sequence?

4 blocks from Manute Bol

[quote="NICU, post:10, topic:1234"]One of the best Sportscenter pieces of all time was when Manute Bol hit six triples in one game (it might have even been one half).[/quote]

with Don Nelson, they were probably set plays…

Nope. It was when he as with Philly playing for Doug Moe. He went 6 for 12 behind the arc, the only time he was ever in double digits scoring for 76ers.

[quote="NICU, post:10, topic:1234"]One of the best Sportscenter pieces of all time was when Manute Bol hit six triples in one game (it might have even been one half).[/quote]

Nope. It was when he as with Philly playing for Doug Moe. He went 6 for 12 behind the arc, the only time he was ever in double digits scoring for 76ers.

Don did put him behind the arc a lot on offense to pull out a big, and he had a green light if the shot clock was low.

Haha that’s awesome! Thanks for the link.

Don did put him behind the arc a lot on offense to pull out a big, and he had a green light if the shot clock was low.

…being a casual Sixers fan, I should have known that…with Nellie, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Bol run the point

[quote=“noobd, post:7, topic:1234”]Something that more athletes should strongly consider instead of blowing their money gambling (a certain NBA player we discussed on here), fancy cars and other “stuff”.

RIP Manute.[/quote]

The guy gave it all for what he believed. The world needs more like him.

Later, he went on to become a side show to raise money. 1.) Being a goalie for a minor league hockey team 2.) Surprising the H*LL out of me when he beat up on Refridgerator Perry in a celebrity boxing match

fridge was awful in that fight. all he had to do was go inside and hit Bol in the body a few times. he tried to box him on the outside until he ran out of gas, which took about 20 seconds. dumb.