PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Reporter asks for coach's autograph at B1G kickoff luncheon

That’s gotta be some journalist ethics violation

http://deadspin.com/5826605/we-remind-all-big-ten-reporters-that-asking-for-coachs-autograph-is-not-acceptable

[quote=“Tom, post:1, topic:2582”]That’s gotta be some journalist ethics violation

http://deadspin.com/5826605/we-remind-all-big-ten-reporters-that-asking-for-coachs-autograph-is-not-acceptable[/quote]

I always thought asking for an autograph is incredibly demeaning, once you get past about 12 years old.

Random tidbit - My mentor Teacher’s (for student teaching) husband was Kirk’s HS football coach at Upper St. Clair.

Sports reporting has a long history of being chummy with their subjects. That’s putting it nicely. Often, they practically function as PR for their subjects. It’s one of the reasons why I find the blacklisting of any player suspected of steroids by the baseball writers self-righteously hypocritical. If PEDs (including those that were popular in teh 60s, 70s & 80s) were as rampant as the holier than thou sports writers are now claiming, then those same sports writers were either incompetent or willingly ignorant.

It’s pretty much taboo to do anything like that…though I’ve worked with people who have done that, just not in a public forum as Littler did. For us media types, you can do it in private with athletes that you have befriended over the years and have gained some trust with. And it’s usually not for personal gain, more so for your son/daughter on one of their trading cards or more likely for charity events.

I actually did get a few autographs from time to time, mainly from Charles Barkley and Shaquille O’Neal on basketballs. But they trusted me in telling them that it was for an auction to raise money for (ironically) the children’s hospital in my hometown of Atlanta. Just had to be cool about it and make sure it was only one item and you hit them up only once a year or so. Multiple items/times can get annoying. I think I got four in four years with Charles and he never gave me a problem.

But what Littler did is pretty bush league. If you don’t know the person and don’t have a long-term working relationship with the athlete or coach in this instance, then you stick to your job at hand and don’t cross the line that he crossed.

I like how he said he didn’t think anyone was recording it, yet at least twice he looked directly at the person recording it.

What NittanyIllini said.
Just for kicks, I sent an email to the president and another to the news director of his station in Hastings, NE, asking their reaction. No judgment, just asking what they thought. No response so far.

My thoughts: What’s the big deal… ???

The big deal is you’re there to do a job, not to be a fan or to try to impress women.

[quote="tundra, post:8, topic:2582"]My thoughts: What's the big deal........................... ???[/quote]

The big deal is you’re there to do a job, not to be a fan or to try to impress women.

I disagree. Everything we do is to impress women. :wink:

[quote=“djones, post:7, topic:2582”]What NittanyIllini said.
Just for kicks, I sent an email to the president and another to the news director of his station in Hastings, NE, asking their reaction. No judgment, just asking what they thought. No response so far.[/quote]

Thanks dj.

Good move on your part. Please keep us posted on his response, if there is one.

[quote="Tom, post:1, topic:2582"]That's gotta be some journalist ethics violation

http://deadspin.com/5826605/we-remind-all-big-ten-reporters-that-asking-for-coachs-autograph-is-not-acceptable[/quote]

I always thought asking for an autograph is incredibly demeaning, once you get past about 12 years old.

I agree. I wish they’d make the blue-white game autograph session for kids only. It is ridiculous the way some adults act there.

[quote="Tom, post:1, topic:2582"]That's gotta be some journalist ethics violation

I agree. I wish they’d make the blue-white game autograph session for kids only. It is ridiculous the way some adults act there.

I’m with you guys. I’ve only ever asked for one autograph, and that was from Talor Battle. I was embarrassed as hell, but couldn’t resist :-[

I’m with you guys. I’ve only ever asked for one autograph, and that was from Talor Battle. I was embarrassed as hell, but couldn’t resist :-[

Chuck Bednarik - when I was about 15 years old.

But, having said that, I have purchased a few autographed items at charity events.

A JoePa autographed Sports Illustrated cover.
A JoePa autographed football.
An Adam T autographed mini-helmet.
A baseball autographed by the 2005 Williamsport CrossCutters (paid $2 for it, felt bad for the auctioneer who couldn’t get anyone to bid on it ;D).

I get if you want to get a memorabilia item autographed by a legend like Joe. I have a Gretzky auto jersey, auto items from Palmer and Nicklaus, etc. in my basement. In general though, autographs especially of 20-year olds should be left for kids to get. I brought my 7-year old last year and she was frequently run over and had things handed over her head to get autographed, usually by some old guy in an XXL PSU jersey. That was our first and last autograph session.

Places and employers think it is a big deal. Even the BJC tells people upon hiring them if the ask acts or athletes for autographs while working they can be fired.

I also agree about the Blue and White game. I will not take my kids there to get autographs because of how people act. It isn’t just the “old” people getting autographs. It is also the parents that force their kids to get photos or autographs when they don’t want to. It is like the dad getting the Santa photo done in the mall as their kid is screaming his head off. Don’t force your kids into that.

My stuff is in a closet - which has me questioning “why did I buy them in the first place?” The JoePa autograph football has already been
recycled (to Pat Brogan’s Dystonia Charity, the SI cover will probably go to the same place this year, the AdamT helmet was destined for tjb all along, and the baseball should probably just be played with. By redonating them, I can at least leverage the charitable contribution that they make.

I have a mini helmet autographed by the original 4 members of the steel curtain. I have a Mo Cheeks jersey and mini basketball. And I have an Andre Miller mini basketball and photo. I also have a baseball autographed by the little league team I coached about 25 years ago. That is worth more to me than the rest combined.

1. but, I have Roberto Clemente’s autograph! :slight_smile:

[quote="mjg, post:18, topic:2582"]I have a mini helmet autographed by the original 4 members of the steel curtain. I have a Mo Cheeks jersey and mini basketball. And I have an Andre Miller mini basketball and photo. I also have a baseball autographed by the little league team I coached about 25 years ago. That is worth more to me than the rest combined.[/quote]
  1. but, I have Roberto Clemente’s autograph! :slight_smile:

Now that is one I’d have in a safe somewhere.