PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Recent Archaeological Find

Not sure if anyone saw this story, but 5,000 year old remains were recently found, and archaeologists claim the person was gay. Here’s today’s WSJ spin on it.

They Still Haven’t Found Any Troglodykes
"Archaeologists have unearthed the 5,000-year-old remains of what they believe may have been the world’s oldest known gay caveman," reports London’s Daily Telegraph. Now of course the guy is dead, so you may ask: How do they know he was gay?

Answer: “The skeleton was found in a Prague suburb in the Czech Republic with its head pointing eastwards and surrounded by domestic jugs.”

Which puts us in mind of a fictional anecdote. Years ago we were out for a drink with our younger sister when she spotted a guy she liked at the other end of the bar. “He’s cute,” she said.

We chuckled: “He wouldn’t be interested in you. He’s obviously gay.”

She was incredulous: “What makes you think that?”

“Isn’t it obvious? He’s facing east. And look at all those jugs. He’s surrounded by them!”

What’s ironic is that back in the caveman’s time, it’s unlikely that anyone had a clue about his sexual orientation. After all, gaydar wasn’t invented until 1982.

Some other headlines:

We Doubt Those Low-Flow Models Would Be Up to the Task
"Rand Paul Uses Toilets to Argue Energy Department ‘Could Be Gotten Rid Of’ "–headline, TheHill.com, April 8

He Fled After His Release Pending a Peel
"Flashing Phallic Banana Terrorist Still on the Loose"–headline, National Business Review (New Zealand), April 7

The Lonely Lives of Scientists
"Sex After a Field Trip Yields Scientific First"–headline, ScienceMag.org, April 6

The Lonely Lives of Volunteers
"U.S. Volunteers Help Toads With Mating"–headline, Reuters, April 6

The Lonely Lives of Planets
"Newfound Asteroid Is Companion to Earth, Scientists Say"–headline, World-Science.net, April 7

So Much for the War on Drug Paraphernalia
"Bong to Head Cannes Jury for Debut Filmmakers"–headline, Associated Press, April 7

Worst Personal Ad Ever
"Woman Seeks Celibacy Debate"–headline, San Bernardino (Calif.) Sun, April 7

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:2314”]Not sure if anyone saw this story, but 5,000 year old remains were recently found, and archaeologists claim the person was gay. Here’s today’s WSJ spin on it.

"Archaeologists have unearthed the 5,000-year-old remains of what they believe may have been the world’s oldest known gay caveman," reports London’s Daily Telegraph. Now of course the guy is dead, so you may ask: How do they know he was gay?

Answer: “The skeleton was found in a Prague suburb in the Czech Republic with its head pointing eastwards and surrounded by domestic jugs.”

Which puts us in mind of a fictional anecdote. Years ago we were out for a drink with our younger sister when she spotted a guy she liked at the other end of the bar. “He’s cute,” she said.

“Isn’t it obvious? He’s facing east. And look at all those jugs. He’s surrounded by them!”

What’s ironic is that back in the caveman’s time, it’s unlikely that anyone had a clue about his sexual orientation. After all, gaydar wasn’t invented until 1982.[/quote]

???

You come up with some pretty off the wall stuff at times but this one really has my head shaking. Why did you post this?

Well…Now I can’t say “All this board has is the “same old” Apologist posts!!” :slight_smile:

[quote=“UncleLar, post:3, topic:2314”]???

You come up with some pretty off the wall stuff at times but this one really has my head shaking. Why did you post this?[/quote]

Maybe because I laughed out loud when I read it.

Usually I can find a tenuous connection with most OT threads but kid has gone totally loony on me here. I haven’t a even a clue bout what’s going on in his head at this moment.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:2314”]Not sure if anyone saw this story, but 5,000 year old remains were recently found, and archaeologists claim the person was gay. Here’s today’s WSJ spin on it.

What’s ironic is that back in the caveman’s time, it’s unlikely that anyone had a clue about his sexual orientation. After all, gaydar wasn’t invented until 1982.[/quote]
Men and women were buried differently and he was buried as a woman. It is a reasonable hypothesis that he was gay.

Why are you so bothered by the idea of a gay caveman?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:2314"]Not sure if anyone saw this story, but 5,000 year old remains were recently found, and archaeologists claim the person was gay. Here's today's WSJ spin on it.

Men and women were buried differently and he was buried as a woman. It is a reasonable hypothesis that he was gay.

Me? I’m not bothered. R U addressing me or Lar? I thought it was funny.

Did anyone else think it was funny?

Lar, somebody once posted the funniest videos, about the fisherman. It was probably the funniest one I’d ever seen. I show it on my flat screen sometimes. What was the tenuous connection with that? Sports? Lighten up. Oh, and what makes you think you should know what’s going on in my head? I put up my mental shield, like in X-Men. Specifically to thwart you. :wink:

I didn’t.

kid…

Step away from those jugs and stop looking into the sunrise. ;D

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:2314”]kid…

Step away from those jugs and stop looking into the sunrise. ;D[/quote]

Well, well, it appears somebody thought it was funny. Thank goodness. Some crowd here.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:3, topic:2314”]???

You come up with some pretty off the wall stuff at times but this one really has my head shaking. Why did you post this?[/quote]

It has OT on the subject line. I disagree with a lot of kid’s stuff, but no need to call him out when he gave fair warning that the post wasn’t about Penn State Hoops.

Not sure if anyone saw this story, but 5,000 year old remains were recently found, and archaeologists claim the person was gay. Here's today's WSJ spin on it.

What’s ironic is that back in the caveman’s time, it’s unlikely that anyone had a clue about his sexual orientation. After all, gaydar wasn’t invented until 1982.

With all the screw-ups that happen every day by modern day intellects, why do we always assume that ancient people were perfect?

I can image with conversation with himself (using a rough caveman accent)

“Dang. Me bury Groc with jugs instead of tools. Me should not drink so much fermented fruit with fellas while on hunt!!! Oh well, nobody find out !!!”

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:2314"]Not sure if anyone saw this story, but 5,000 year old remains were recently found, and archaeologists claim the person was gay. Here's today's WSJ spin on it.

With all the screw-ups that happen every day by modern day intellects, why do we always assume that ancient people were perfect?

“Dang. Me bury Groc with jugs instead of tools. Me should not drink so much fermented fruit with fellas while on hunt!!! Oh well, nobody find out !!!”

Funny, but this is pretty black and white to be a screw up. It would be a mistaake by a whole community, seeing that I would imagine burials were accompanied with a ceremony.

I’m sure here were gays back then. Homosexuality was not suddenly invented in the modern age.

I can seE Letterman now…

Hey Paul, you hear they found a gay caveman? Yeah, well apparently they know he’s gay because he was buried with a bunch of jugs. *rimshot (as Dave throws the card in the background)

Classic bad joke from Letterman that he makes funny. :smiley:

I guess I didn’t think it was funny because I was unaware of the whole east vs. west or jugs vs. tools symbolism. I still forget the right vs left earring deal. I bought a used car once with an upside down rainbow triangle sticker and drove it for years before some explained that to me.

Same here. Although I knew about the rainbow thing. When I first read the post, my initial reaction was “what the…?”. Then after a few things were explained, I could see the humor a little more, though not much. Maybe it’s like a joke being less funny if the punchline has to be explained.

I guess I didn't think it was funny because I was unaware of the whole east vs. west or jugs vs. tools symbolism. I still forget the right vs left earring deal. I bought a used car once with an upside down rainbow triangle sticker and drove it for years before some explained that to me.

Same here. Although I knew about the rainbow thing. When I first read the post, my initial reaction was “what the…?”. Then after a few things were explained, I could see the humor a little more, though not much. Maybe it’s like a joke being less funny if the punchline has to be explained.

I think that nails it. Not sure it worked due to both the claim and the joke being given at the same time. I suppose I thought it was funny, cause I read several newspapers per day, and was aware of this article. In some, they had photos. I thought it was a very interesting article, really kind of fascinating. 3 or 4 days later, I read this spin on it, and got a kick out of it. If you weren’t aware of the finding, having to figure it out first wouldn’t work.

This is one of my favorite sites, left, right and center. Something for everybody. I do think the editors have a rightish tilt, but lots for all to read(or not read). :wink:

http://realclearpolitics.com/

[quote="Skeeza, post:13, topic:2314"]With all the screw-ups that happen every day by modern day intellects, why do we always assume that ancient people were perfect?

“Dang. Me bury Groc with jugs instead of tools. Me should not drink so much fermented fruit with fellas while on hunt!!! Oh well, nobody find out !!!”[/quote]

Funny, but this is pretty black and white to be a screw up. It would be a mistaake by a whole community, seeing that I would imagine burials were accompanied with a ceremony.

I’m sure here were gays back then. Homosexuality was not suddenly invented in the modern age.

Well, if you imagine it, then I guess it’s historical fact. :-X

[quote="Skeeza, post:13, topic:2314"]With all the screw-ups that happen every day by modern day intellects, why do we always assume that ancient people were perfect?

“Dang. Me bury Groc with jugs instead of tools. Me should not drink so much fermented fruit with fellas while on hunt!!! Oh well, nobody find out !!!”[/quote]

Well, if you imagine it, then I guess it’s historical fact. :-X

Well, I know that tribes/people in the BC era would have ceremonial burials, I’m just not positive if it reaches back to the cavemen. I can’t imagine that it didn’t though. :stuck_out_tongue: