OT: Rebels With A Cause

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?id=5045144

Nice, rather lengthy, article about UNLV in the Tark days. I didn’t know too much about it, so this filled in the gaps.

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1084”]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?id=5045144

Nice, rather lengthy, article about UNLV in the Tark days. I didn’t know too much about it, so this filled in the gaps.[/quote]

Have you ever read Fall River Dreams? It’s the biography of Chris Herron. Not UNLV, but Fresno State, and it does involved Tark. Really good book.

Story does not tell whole story…not that I know it…BUT I don’t think any UNLV player graduated except Anthony and Tark’s son. Also I think the year Sports Ill. did a story all of the poor under educated players was driving a foreign car…If my memory is correct!

BUT the UNLV - NCAA story was sure an interesting one.

[quote=“tundra, post:3, topic:1084”]Story does not tell whole story…not that I know it…BUT I don’t think any UNLV player graduated except Anthony and Tark’s son. Also I think the year Sports Ill. did a story all of the poor under educated players was driving a foreign car…If my memory is correct!

BUT the UNLV - NCAA story was sure an interesting one.[/quote]

You think this guy is lying?

According to Brad Rothermel, the UNLV athletic director from 1981 to 1990 and a special consultant to the current athletic director, 10 of the 14 players on the 1990 team possess UNLV diplomas.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1084"]Story does not tell whole story.................not that I know it..........BUT I don't think any UNLV player graduated except Anthony and Tark's son. Also I think the year Sports Ill. did a story all of the poor under educated players was driving a foreign car...........If my memory is correct!

According to Brad Rothermel, the UNLV athletic director from 1981 to 1990 and a special consultant to the current athletic director, 10 of the 14 players on the 1990 team possess UNLV diplomas.

I guess I didn’t read the article closely enough. No, I’m not calling Rothermel a liar. My info is strictly from media gossip at the time. BUT, if I had to bet I would bet that the kids were getting money. NOT from Tark but I would think Tark knew about it.

What about UNLV’s basketball (present day) relationship with the in-town prep school??

Seems like Nike and Texas have benefited the most from that place. I read the school Findley Prep is actually associated with is shutting down. They are now trying to find a new school to partner with.

[quote="tundra, post:3, topic:1084"]Story does not tell whole story.................not that I know it..........BUT I don't think any UNLV player graduated except Anthony and Tark's son. Also I think the year Sports Ill. did a story all of the poor under educated players was driving a foreign car...........If my memory is correct!

I guess I didn’t read the article closely enough. No, I’m not calling Rothermel a liar. My info is strictly from media gossip at the time. BUT, if I had to bet I would bet that the kids were getting money. NOT from Tark but I would think Tark knew about it.

I remember watching the UNLV teams play, but I was too young at the time to really know what was going on. All I know about the situation is what I have read.

I’ll take your word for it! Tark’s career coaching record is AMAZING up until Fresno. 629-126. 244-23 in conference (75-82 UNLV wasn’t in a conference? but still).

Tark’s UNLV teams (in general) really hustled and played great defense! Kind of like Huggy’s Cinny teams. Thug like. BUT UNLV played faster! They didn’t seem extremely skilled (except Theus/maybe Anthony) but they were tough, hard nosed, aggressive teams. NO pretty boys types. In truth, kind of fun to watch.

Good article. That 1990 UNLV team was fun to watch. They would have run through this year’s NCAA men’s field like UConn is running through the women’s field.

Tark’s famous quote about the NCAA is as legendary as his great teams:

the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky, it gave Cleveland State two more years of probation

The thing I remeber about that team, and this from a guy who grew up in white bread Middle America and that was right around the time I first fell in love with college basketball, was just how hated those guys were.

I remember them playing the Soviet National Team in an exhibition game…and my parents were actually cheering for the Soviets.

I also remember the back-to-back years of them playing Duke in the Final Four. The article mentioned it, but didn’t fully underscore, how big a morality play that was. It was very similar to Penn State/Miami in the Fiesta Bowl. It’s hard to imagine now with how hated Duke has become (an aside, anyone see the revoked Indy Star cover from earlier this week of Coach K?), but NEARLY EVERYONE wanted to see Vegas go down in 1991. UNLV hadn’t been in a close game all year long and once Anthony fouled out in that game, they were ripe for the picking. It also, of course, helped that Hurley didn’t have the flu and could actually stay on the floor that night. Grant Hill was an important piece, too, even though he was just a freshman.

They were a colorful team, however, much more fun to look back at them now and somewhat appreciate what they did. But by God did I hate UNLV back then.

[quote=“PSUQuaker, post:12, topic:1084”]The thing I remeber about that team, and this from a guy who grew up in white bread Middle America and that was right around the time I first fell in love with college basketball, was just how hated those guys were.

I remember them playing the Soviet National Team in an exhibition game…and my parents were actually cheering for the Soviets.

I also remember the back-to-back years of them playing Duke in the Final Four. The article mentioned it, but didn’t fully underscore, how big a morality play that was. It was very similar to Penn State/Miami in the Fiesta Bowl. It’s hard to imagine now with how hated Duke has become (an aside, anyone see the revoked Indy Star cover from earlier this week of Coach K?), but NEARLY EVERYONE wanted to see Vegas go down in 1991. UNLV hadn’t been in a close game all year long and once Anthony fouled out in that game, they were ripe for the picking. It also, of course, helped that Hurley didn’t have the flu and could actually stay on the floor that night. Grant Hill was an important piece, too, even though he was just a freshman.

They were a colorful team, however, much more fun to look back at them now and somewhat appreciate what they did. But by God did I hate UNLV back then.[/quote]

I was actually at that game (it was also in Indianapolis coincidently) - enjoyed the Duke win immensely.

I’ve been to three Duke games in person. The upset of UNLV, their NCAA championship final against Kansas two nights later, and the famous Duke/Kentucky regional final when Laettner hit his last second shot. A pretty good selection of games, I must say.

[quote="PSUQuaker, post:12, topic:1084"][/quote]

I was actually at that game (it was also in Indianapolis coincidently) - enjoyed the Duke win immensely.

I’ve been to three Duke games in person. The upset of UNLV, their NCAA championship final against Kansas two nights later, and the famous Duke/Kentucky regional final when Laettner hit his last second shot. A pretty good selection of games, I must say.

I was just debating with a friend last week as to whether or not that’s the greatest college basketball game ever played. I say yes…level of play was just outstanding throughout without even taking into account the ending. I’m also of the belief that the UNLV/Duke game in 1991 is a greater upset than the far more famous Georgetown/Villanova game in 1985. So, I’d say you’ve lived a pretty charmed life when it comes to attending NCAA tournament games.

I was just debating with a friend last week as to whether or not that’s the greatest college basketball game ever played. I say yes…level of play was just outstanding throughout without even taking into account the ending. I’m also of the belief that the UNLV/Duke game in 1991 is a greater upset than the far more famous Georgetown/Villanova game in 1985. So, I’d say you’ve lived a pretty charmed life when it comes to attending NCAA tournament games.

Why do I feel like UK wasn’t even really that good that season. Wasn’t it Mashburn and a bunch of supporting players? I could be wrong, but I don’t think that was a great UK team. Great game though.

Why do I feel like UK wasn’t even really that good that season. Wasn’t it Mashburn and a bunch of supporting players? I could be wrong, but I don’t think that was a great UK team. Great game though.

Mashburn and four seniors, including Arkansas coach John Pelphrey. They were 29-7 that year, and a top ten team.

A friend and I traveled down from NY for the game. We scalped a couple of tickets from a UMass kid (UMass had been eliminated on Thursday). We paid $125 each for the tickets and my buddy said to me “We’d better see a good game for that price”. Halfway through the second half, he turned to me and said “I think we owe the kid at least another $125”. The game was just that good and Laettner was unbelievable, going 10-10, not missing a shot. The game gets my vote.

Mashburn and four seniors, including Arkansas coach John Pelphrey. They were 29-7 that year, and a top ten team.

Those were the famed “Unforgettables” for UK. Those four seniors stuck it out there when Kentucky was on probation and couldn’t play in the tournament in back-to-back years. All four had their numbers retired. Toss in Mashburn, who was an absolute stud, and you had the SEC tourney champion…a pretty good feat because that league included LSU with Shaq. Also, they beat Indiana in a close game during the regular season. Those were Knight’s last great IU teams as in '92 they went to his last Final Four before losing a close game to Duke.

The other thing about that regional final was that it seemed to spark the national hatred of Duke. Like I said, the year before against UNLV, it seemed as though everyone was pulling for the Blue Devils against Tark. Fast forward to that '92 game and Laettner, who famously went 10-of-10 from the field and from the foul line, stepped on the UK player’s chest in the second half and drew a technical foul. Maybe Laettner and Duke were hated before that by many people, but that play seemed to really swing the pendulum against the Devils (and it’s seemed to get worse year after year ever since).