PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: PSU Wrestling

CDT: PIAA champion commits to Lions

That’s 3 recruits from the WPIAL for Cael.

I just found out that Bubba Jenkins has left the wrestling team.

It’s old news, he had actually left at the beginning of January.

When he initially came to Penn State, he was rated as the best recruit in the country. It was a great catch when it happened.

Did anyone else know about this? Did this fly under the radar, or did I just happen to miss it?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:3, topic:163”]I just found out that Bubba Jenkins has left the wrestling team.

When he initially came to Penn State, he was rated as the best recruit in the country. It was a great catch when it happened.

Did anyone else know about this? Did this fly under the radar, or did I just happen to miss it?[/quote]

I heard about it. Heard Cael style did not fit with Bubba personality but that is like 4th hand rumor stuff.

when the kid claims to have intentionally failed classes…

[quote=“Skeeza, post:3, topic:163”]I just found out that Bubba Jenkins has left the wrestling team.

Did anyone else know about this? Did this fly under the radar, or did I just happen to miss it?[/quote]

It didn’t fly under the radar. You probably missed it because the story broke around the Xmas/New Year’s holiday.

Bubba screwed himself by missing weight at an open tournament at Lock Haven then weighing in and wrestling at a higher weight. Bubba was on track to get his academics in order and come back and wrestle for PSU during the spring semester. The plan was for him to wrestle at 149. When he got on the scales at the Mat Town tournament, he weighed 157.4, missing the weight at 157. Bubba then decided to weigh in and wrestle at 165. But the NCAA has a weight rule that says that you can’t cut weight down two classes from weight that you’ve competed at during the season. By wrestling at 165 in the tournament, Bubba was never going to be able to wrestle at 149 during the season.

Bubba wanted to redshirt this season and Sanderson didn’t want him to. I think Sanderson viewed Bubba wrestling at 165 as another attempt to force the redshirt. Cael wasn’t going to back down from this challenge to his authority and simply said “hit the pike” instead.

I just found out that Bubba Jenkins has left the wrestling team.

Did anyone else know about this? Did this fly under the radar, or did I just happen to miss it?

I heard about it. Heard Cael style did not fit with Bubba personality but that is like 4th hand rumor stuff.

Side note…

Bubba Jenkins is one of the wrestling coaches on the Ultimate Fighter.

Eight Home Duals Highlight 2013-14 Penn State Wrestling Schedule. Lions welcome Oklahoma State to Rec Hall and wrestle Pitt in the Bryce Jordan Center

[quote=“CAPPY, post:8, topic:163”]
Eight Home Duals Highlight 2013-14 Penn State Wrestling Schedule. Lions welcome Oklahoma State to Rec Hall and wrestle Pitt in the Bryce Jordan Center
[/quote]

I had heard that they were trying to get Oklahoma State for the BJC match. Disappointed that it will be Pitt instead. I don’t think they will draw that big a crowd.

Also interesting that they announced that the season is a sell out even though they have sent out the ticket renewal package yet.

Nations # 1 ­Recruit decommits from Nittany Lions

Seems to be some strange goings on in that situation

Onward State‏@OnwardState16m
Penn State wrestling just broke an NCAA all-time attendance record. 15,996 fans here at the @JordanCenter today!

[quote=“CAPPY, post:12, topic:163”]Onward State‏@OnwardState16m
Penn State wrestling just broke an NCAA all-time attendance record. 15,996 fans here at the @JordanCenter today!

8)[/quote]

If you believe that many people showed up in the current weather conditions, I have bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
Actual attendance is closer to 11,000.

::slight_smile: Whatever, 11,000 fans @ the BJC for a wrestling match in today’s weather conditions is still pretty 8)!

BTW, Rice mentions the 15,996 mark below too, but then he takes a bit of a shot at the hoops attendance the last three games. >:(

JeffRice247‏@JeffRice24732m
Attendance for today’s wrestling match at BJC: 15,996. Combined attendance for last THREE men’s basketball games in BJC: 13,806.

The problem with announcing 15996 is that they’re using that to claim an NCAA record

I assume that was tickets sold?

So what? You can bet that the old record was counted the same way. That’s how attendance is counted virtually everywhere.

What’s the over/under for the announced attendance at Carver-Hawkeye on the 21st?

Somewhere north of 16,000 for sure.