PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: PSU Womens Volleyball news

Darcy Dorton, Ali Longo Leaving Women’s Volleyball Team

[quote=“CAPPY, post:1, topic:3197”]Darcy Dorton, Ali Longo Leaving Women’s Volleyball Team
[/quote]

Now that’s the way to comment when losing players.

The issue below was discussed in another thread, pertaining to basketball. Is this a BigTen policy that covers all sports? Is it still in effect, or was the BSD author misinformed?

Both have been released from the program and can go anywhere, although Big Ten rules prohibit an athlete from transferring to another conference school on a scholarship.

I can’t find anything that says that rule is gone, at least in the past two years.

Best I can find that supports the rule is a comment from Barry Alvarez in 2010 saying there was no thought to changing the rule.

However, you can apply for a waiver of the rule, which has been successful in the past.

[quote=“Tom, post:4, topic:3197”]I can’t find anything that says that rule is gone, at least in the past two years.

Best I can find that supports the rule is a comment from Barry Alvarez in 2010 saying there was no thought to changing the rule.

However, you can apply for a waiver of the rule, which has been successful in the past.[/quote]

Perhaps that’s what made me think that the rule might have been changed.

I believe the waiver is what prompted Alvarez’s comments.

Here’s the story:

http://thegazette.com/2010/05/19/wisconsins-alvarez-said-big-ten-wont-change-transfer-rule/

I never heard that they removed the rule of not allowing a kid from one school to transfer to another school and be be on scholarship for both.

I remember when Chambliss transferred to Wisconsin he had to pay his way to finish his degree and same for the Offensive Lineman who transferred from Michigan to Ohio State a couple years back.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:1, topic:3197”]Darcy Dorton, Ali Longo Leaving Women’s Volleyball Team
[/quote]

I realize I’m probably in a distinct minority here on this issue, but I think Jeff Junstrom (whom I respect and like, and who has been very supportive and fair in working with DigNittanyVolleyball.com) should have been more explicit in the fact that his post is verbatim from an article by Gordon Brunskill from the Centre Daily Times. I realize that if you click on the headline, it takes you to that story, but I think it would have been better to add a sentence in the BSD post making it clear that the CDT is the source. I generally try to avoid copying/framing huge chunks of another person’s material, even with attribution. I think in that case, one should just copy enough to give the flavor of the article, and link to the rest. But, as I said, I’m probably in the minority.

[url=http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2012/3/23/2896837/darcy-dorton-ali-longo-leaving-womens-volleyball-team]Darcy Dorton, Ali Longo Leaving Women's Volleyball Team [/url]

I realize I’m probably in a distinct minority here on this issue, but I think Jeff Junstrom (whom I respect and like, and who has been very supportive and fair in working with DigNittanyVolleyball.com) should have been more explicit in the fact that his post is verbatim from an article by Gordon Brunskill from the Centre Daily Times. I realize that if you click on the headline, it takes you to that story, but I think it would have been better to add a sentence in the BSD post making it clear that the CDT is the source. I generally try to avoid copying/framing huge chunks of another person’s material, even with attribution. I think in that case, one should just copy enough to give the flavor of the article, and link to the rest. But, as I said, I’m probably in the minority.

I hope you’re not in the minority. It’s shameful how blatant some people copy things without any attribution.