OT:PSU v. Siena

Someone pm’d me about the possibility of Siena coach Fran McCaffrey as a potential coach. He’s done an absolutely fabulous job at Siena. Paul Hewitt left Siena for Georgia Tech, and Siena’s program collapsed. Fran took over in '05/06, a team which I think was last in the MAAC the prior year. They might have been winless. Last year, they beat OSU in the NCAA’s. When was the last time PSU beat OSU? This year, they’re 16-4, and 9-0 in the MAAC. Like PSU, they lost to Temple, by 4. Their other losses were to Georgia Tech, St. John’s and Northern Iowa(worst loss, by 17).

Look at these stat comparisons vs. PSU. Siena has played 20 games vs. PSU’s 18.

PSU           Siena

Points inside the arc 598 920
Points from trey 357 294
FTM’s/FTA’s 232-332 329-493
3 % 32.6% 31.7%
FTA % 69.9% 66.7%

So, as suspected, it’s not our 3 shooting, nor our FTA shooting, the latter BTW, we are also better at than UConn and Texas. The elephant in the room, so to speak, are the points inside the arc, and the total FTA’s, created by taking it inside. Just think what 4-5 more points from the foul line per game would mean to PSU game results so far. Siena is averaging 77ppg, has 4 scorers in double digits, two of which, Franklin and Rossiter are combining for 29ppg, and 17rpg, and are a revealing 0-3 from the arc. They’re shooting a combined better than 58%. I bet over the summer they’re not working on their 3 point shooting, but on where they can help the team.

Side note: As to talent level, interestingly, Siena has 6th man, Kyle Downey, who played vs. Talor in '07 state semis. A good shooter in HS, only 11-44 from the arc this year. His HS team, Fairport, beat the team which beat Jonny Flynn’s team to get to semis. I kind of thought Kyle was mid-major player to major DI bench player, after just seeing him play that one time. Fairport, well coached, halfcourt, non-fast breaking team, held Talor to 14 points, one of lowest point totals of season.

I would add Mike Rice. Presently HC at Robert Morris. Many coaching stops including St. Joe’s and ~itt.
Watched RM last night. They hustle as much as any team I can remember seeing play.
KNOWS OUR recruiting area!

I don’t want Rice. He is an over intense maniac. I guess if a player responds to that type of coach, OK, (Mr. Knight had a decent coaching career). But, I would aim higher than him. Check out Brian Greggory’s bio on Dayton’s website. It makes you want to cry that noboby at PSU took him seriously seven years ago.

Brian sounds fine. Smart enough to get into the Navy Acd. But stayed only one year. Navy is not for everybody. Good resume…but maybe a bit of a Midwest guy. (Ohio - Michigan)

Fran is a stand-up guy that would never embarrass any school he coaches.

Pretty sure McCaffery is a Delaware County guy. I think his brother writes for the Delaware County newspaper. He has recruited PA pretty well. Ronald Moore is from PW, Clarence Jackson is from South Jersey but played with the Team Philly AAU squad (Moore also played with Team Philly), and Roger Franklin is from Reading. He also has former FLC star Denzel Yard (another Team Philly guy, I think) and Jonathan Breeden from Harrisburg.

He’s a Montgomery County guy. Played high school ball at LaSalle High in Wyndmoor.

Fran McCaffery at Siena and Steve Donahue at Cornell are my top two if DeChellis needs to be replaced. Both are Philly guys. I like Mike Rice, Jr., too. Brian Gregory would be a very good choice, but he seems pretty locked in at Dayton. Scott Drew at Baylor and Herb Sendek at Arizona State are as close to “big name” coaches as any that might consider the job at Penn State. Chris Mooney at Richmond, Brad Stevens at Butler, Brad Brownell at Wright State and Doug Wojcik at Tulsa would merit a second look.

I’m looking for a guy with great communication and motivation skills, which to me is the area where DeChellis seems most deficient.

From Wiki:

On April 8, 2009 McCaffery signed a lucrative 8-year extension keeping him under contract at Siena through the 2016-2017 season.

Wow that is a long extension. Anybody know just how lucrative it is?

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:725”]Fran McCaffery at Siena and Steve Donahue at Cornell are my top two if DeChellis needs to be replaced. Both are Philly guys. I like Mike Rice, Jr., too. Brian Gregory would be a very good choice, but he seems pretty locked in at Dayton. Scott Drew at Baylor and Herb Sendek at Arizona State are as close to “big name” coaches as any that might consider the job at Penn State. Chris Mooney at Richmond, Brad Stevens at Butler, Brad Brownell at Wright State and Doug Wojcik at Tulsa would merit a second look.

I’m looking for a guy with great communication and motivation skills, which to me is the area where DeChellis seems most deficient. [/quote]

This might be a crazy thought but do you think it would be at all possible for former Indiana coach Mike Davis to coach here. He’s doing well at UAB and his career at Indiana was decent. I think he’s known for being a good recruiter too but I don’t know if he’s ever run into any recruiting infractions.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:8, topic:725”]Fran McCaffery at Siena and Steve Donahue at Cornell are my top two if DeChellis needs to be replaced. Both are Philly guys. I like Mike Rice, Jr., too. Brian Gregory would be a very good choice, but he seems pretty locked in at Dayton. Scott Drew at Baylor and Herb Sendek at Arizona State are as close to “big name” coaches as any that might consider the job at Penn State. Chris Mooney at Richmond, Brad Stevens at Butler, Brad Brownell at Wright State and Doug Wojcik at Tulsa would merit a second look.

I’m looking for a guy with great communication and motivation skills, which to me is the area where DeChellis seems most deficient. [/quote]

Butler coach, I like that.

Also a Philly guy.