OT: PSU upholds its volleyball tradition

espn.go.com: Nittany Lions nearing UCLA men’s hoops team’s record of 88 straight wins

I’ve read/heard half a dozen features like this over the last few weeks. Every one of them leaves me with the impression that the women are about to set a new NCAA record for consecutive team wins if and when they pass UCLA’s 88 wins.

Except that’s not correct.

Whoever started passing this story around somehow managed to overlook the UNC women’s soccer team’s 92 straight wins back in 1990-94 (the Tarheels also have unbeaten streaks of 101 and 103 games).

Since it was in soccer there could have been a tie in there somewhere making it an unbeaten streak not a winning streak. I don’t follow soccer, so I don’t know when they added shootouts.

No. I referenced their unbeaten streaks - those were 101 and 103 games. The 92 game streak is wins only.

Ok, wow. Now I see why you brought that streak up. Someone needs to pay homage to that UNC women’s team. That’s a hell of a streak.

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4558136]espn.go.com: Nittany Lions nearing UCLA men's hoops team's record of 88 straight wins[/url]

I’ve read/heard half a dozen features like this over the last few weeks. Every one of them leaves me with the impression that the women are about to set a new NCAA record for consecutive team wins if and when they pass UCLA’s 88 wins.

Except that’s not correct.

Whoever started passing this story around somehow managed to overlook the UNC women’s soccer team’s 92 straight wins back in 1990-94 (the Tarheels also have unbeaten streaks of 101 and 103 games).

Lar, you should know that reports don’t fact check. Its all about the hype and clicks… :wink:

[quote="JakkL, post:3, topic:108"]Since it was in soccer there could have been a tie in there somewhere making it an unbeaten streak not a winning streak. I don't follow soccer, so I don't know when they added shootouts.[/quote]

No. I referenced their unbeaten streaks - those were 101 and 103 games. The 92 game streak is wins only.

Here you go. Straight from the NCAA soccer record book along with some other consecutive streaks that the UNC women soccer team has that PSU should be approaching (these are soccer records, I don’t know if they are overall NCAA win/unbeaten records but they have to be close).

CONSECUTIVE WINS
92—North Carolina, Oct. 12, 1990 to Sept. 30, 1994

CONSECUTIVE GAMES WITHOUT A LOSS
103—North Carolina, Sept. 30, 1986 to Sept. 17, 1990 (includes ties)

CONSECUTIVE HOME WINS
84—North Carolina, Sept. 6, 1986 to Sept. 18, 1994

CONSECUTIVE HOME GAMES WITHOUT A LOSS
84—North Carolina, Sept. 6, 1986 to Sept. 18, 1994

CONSECUTIVE CONFERENCE WINS
(Includes conference tournaments)
55—North Carolina, Oct. 23, 1994 to Sept. 1, 2000

CONFERENCE GAMES WITHOUT A LOSS
(Includes conference tournaments)
55—North Carolina, Oct. 23, 1994 to Sept. 1, 2000

For comparison sake, the PSU women’s volleyball streaks stand at:

Consecutive wins/unbeaten: 82
Consecutive home wins/unbeaten: 64
Consecutive conference wins/unbeaten: 50

[quote="UncleLar, post:4, topic:108"]No. I referenced their unbeaten streaks - those were 101 and 103 games. The 92 game streak is wins only.[/quote]

Ok, wow. Now I see why you brought that streak up. Someone needs to pay homage to that UNC women’s team. That’s a hell of a streak.

Here’s an unbelievable record. The Kenyon men’s swimming team has won thirty NCAA DIII championships in a row (and counting). That’s an amazing streak.

However, they have lost dual meets along the way because they often compete against DII and DIII schools. They will also sometimes split their squad to compete is separate meets on the same day which has led to some dual meet losses.

How about this one. My parents went to Mount Union so I feel obligated to post it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2200833
110 straight regular season wins.

http://www.mtunionfootball.com/history/55gamewinstreak.htm
54 game winning streak

During the streak, Mount Union…

Won 32 home games, 20 road games and three games played at a neutral site (Stagg Bowls).

Outscored it’s opponents 2,552 to 641, which translates into a 46.4 to 11.7 average final score.

Scored at least 70 points once, 60 points eight times, 50 points 23 times, 40 points 38 times, and 30 points 51 times. The Purple Raiders were “held” to less than 30 points only four times.

Held opponents to 21 points or less 47 times, and produced 11 defensive shutouts.

Outgained it’s opponents 517.6 to 252.6 in average total yards per game.

Had a +43 turnover ratio.

Trailed in the second half just twice, and after three quarters only one time.

Scored more points in each of three different quarters than the total points scored by all opponents.

Scoring by quarter…

1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Total  

Mount Union 662 582 654 654 0 2,552
Opponents 222 155 180 84 0 641

Win #55 on December 13, 2003 broke Mount Union’s record 54-game winning streak set from 1996 through 1999. Shaded gray areas were playoff/championship contests during the streak. With one loss separating the two streaks, Mount Union won 109 of 110 games played from the season opener in 1996 through the semifinal in 2003.