PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: PSU Ice Hockey

Me too. Like I said, he has baggage.

I don’t think Tocchet would be hired for the simple reason that he has no college degree. Even when PSU has hired new Asst Coaches for the Icers they have been required to have a Bachelor’s degree.

Another article on PSU’s pending move to Division 1 status, with a Boston College/Hockey East slant.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2010/9/13/1685367/penn-state-to-add-varsity-hockey

Amazing how little ole PSU could really upset the college hockey apple cart. On the surface, one wouldn’t think it would really do much. But being that sixth Big Ten team looks as if it will indeed be a very big deal.

And this from The Windsor Star:

We have a target year (though I would have thought it would be sooner) and the benefactor who is making this all possible (THANK YOU!!!):

http://communities.canada.com/windsorstar/blogs/duffersdabbles/archive/2010/09/14/coming-soon-the-big-ten-hockey-conference.aspx

Finally, this little ditty that focuses on the possible effect on the CCHA…

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hockey/id,18751/CommentaryWhichWayWillDominosFallAfterPennStatesIntroduction.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+USCHOnews+%28USCHO.com+News%29

But how many hockey people do have college educations? Not many, I can imagine.

[quote="Still in State College, post:22, topic:1343"]I don't think Tocchet would be hired for the simple reason that he has no college degree. Even when PSU has hired new Asst Coaches for the Icers they have been required to have a Bachelor's degree.[/quote]

…probably a comparable number to baseball.

[quote="Still in State College, post:22, topic:1343"]I don't think Tocchet would be hired for the simple reason that he has no college degree. Even when PSU has hired new Asst Coaches for the Icers they have been required to have a Bachelor's degree.[/quote]

Many more than used to 20-30 years ago.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:24, topic:1343”]And this from The Windsor Star:

We have a target year (though I would have thought it would be sooner) and the benefactor who is making this all possible (THANK YOU!!!):

http://communities.canada.com/windsorstar/blogs/duffersdabbles/archive/2010/09/14/coming-soon-the-big-ten-hockey-conference.aspx[/quote]

“Penn State’s hockey team, known as the Ice Lions, currently carry club status and play an NCAA Division II slate in the Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Hockey Association.”

This is incorrect.

Yes, Penn State has a hockey club called the Ice Lions that competes in the MACHA as a D-II club. However, that’s not the same thing as an NCAA DII nor is it Penn State’s primary team. The primary team is the Penn State Nittany Lion Icers and they compete in the ACHA as a D1 club (again not the same thing as an NCAA D1 club).

http://communities.canada.com/windsorstar/blogs/duffersdabbles/archive/2010/09/14/coming-soon-the-big-ten-hockey-conference.aspx[/quote]

Mentions the potential advantage the Big Ten schools could have with the BTN. No mention of the potential NBC / Versus deal. 2014? Not soon enough. Although it does give me plenty of time to warm the wife up to the idea.

Terry Pegula’s role in all this has been reported (and talked about here) for a while. It’s not exactly much of a secret anymore.

I would think that a start date could be earlier, provided whatever conference we would be joining would be on board with very sub-standard facilities for a year or so. I also wonder if playing a few home games in Johnstown, Hershey or S/WB would be an option in an attempt to build a fan base outside of Centre County.

That was me that reported that but it was a misinterpretation on my part. What Indiana is actually doing is moving from ACHA DII status to ACHA D1 this season.

However, I also said was that Indiana would be moving to NCAA D1 status along with Penn State to be the sixth and seventh teams in a Big Ten Hockey Conference and I stand by that.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:19, topic:1343"]I certainly don't have your sources, Lar, but I'd be surprised if Penn State hired a hockey coach (Tocchet) with no college experience who pled guilty to third-degree charges of conspiracy and promoting gambling.[/quote] He'd make a great assistant coach, though. Lets him rehab his image, and lets us put an NHLer on the recruiting trail. How great would THAT be.

Hey, how about a double-header at the Beav. Outdoors. PSU-OSU hockey, followed by Pens/Flyers. Attendance records would be destroyed. ;D

Could you imagine the whining if the Pens were in their 3rd winter classic (and the Flyers their 2nd) before other teams played their first? It was bad enough this year when the Pens got one in Pittsburgh. Although, technically, it could be argued that Buffalo, Chicago, Boston and now Pittsburgh have held Winter Classics – and the opponent could be anyone. So maybe Philly could be awarded the game and they decide to move it to UPark (yeah, right).

[quote="SideshowBob, post:5, topic:1343"]I thought Indiana had already announced that they too will make the jump to varsity.[/quote]

That was me that reported that but it was a misinterpretation on my part. What Indiana is actually doing is moving from ACHA DII status to ACHA D1 this season.

However, I also said was that Indiana would be moving to NCAA D1 status along with Penn State to be the sixth and seventh teams in a Big Ten Hockey Conference and I stand by that.

Right, I remember figuring that out. At first it was rumored to be another school with a club team – which I immediately assumed was Illinois. I think you might have been the one to let me know I was wrong. That left Indiana. And here we are. Seems like you were right all along.

Just out of curiosity, what is preventing two NHL teams from setting up an outdoor game on their own? Given the turnouts they’ve had thus far, if I was an NHL owner, I’d be crunching some numbers of my own.

[quote="mjg, post:34, topic:1343"]Could you imagine the whining if the Pens were in their 3rd winter classic (and the Flyers their 2nd) before other teams played their first? It was bad enough this year when the Pens got one in Pittsburgh. Although, technically, it could be argued that Buffalo, Chicago, Boston and now Pittsburgh have held Winter Classics -- and the opponent could be anyone. So maybe Philly could be awarded the game and they decide to move it to UPark (yeah, right).[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what is preventing two NHL teams from setting up an outdoor game on their own? Given the turnouts they’ve had thus far, if I was an NHL owner, I’d be crunching some numbers of my own.

The NHL is.

The NHL has bylaws preventing teams from doing it on their own?

[quote="SideshowBob, post:5, topic:1343"]I thought Indiana had already announced that they too will make the jump to varsity.[/quote]

I have also heard that Indiana has kind of been laying low waiting for PSU to make the move. I have also been hearing the Iowa has shown interest as well.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:24, topic:1343"]And this from The Windsor Star:

Terry Pegula’s role in all this has been reported (and talked about here) for a while. It’s not exactly much of a secret anymore.

Thanks Lar. I stopped checking out that thread when it got to 100 pages or so and forgot you made mention of a possible hockey arena in the wake of all of this. Good work.