PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: PSU Ice Hockey

According to this article, only a few more days until we may know something officially: ???

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2010/09/12/psu_hockey/

Of course, no confirmation from anyone at PSU.

Why should PSU confirm anything before their official announcement?

Fantastic news should it come about.

I remember interviewing Joe Battista about 23 years ago when covering the hockey team for WPSU. So many hurdles to jump over and hoops to jump through in gaining varsity status for the team back then. From Title IX to the cost to maintain a Division 1 program to the new arena necessary, we all knew it would take some time before something like this would happen. Back then, I was thinking in the five to ten year range, not the 20 to 25 year range. But regardless, this will be huge for Penn State and college hockey in general.

It will be interesting to see if they just meld into the WCHA or actually break off with the other five Big Ten schools to form the Big Ten Hockey Conference. Also, good to see the women’s program mentioned along with the men’s (probably needs to happen with regards to Title iX). This has the Big Ten Network written all over it and why it would be financially feasible for the university to take this big step. I’ve been amazed at the success of the Big Ten Network and all the positive things it is bringing to the university and conference as a whole.

most of the talk has been PSU play one year as an independent and then the B10 would have a six team conference. Six teams is key for a number of reasons, not the least of which is an autobid to the national tournament.

Now they just need to move hockey from Nebraska-Omaha to Lioncoln. Word is Indiana, Iowa, and Illinois are waiting on this to happen and they will then start their own push.

Time will tell.

I thought Indiana had already announced that they too will make the jump to varsity.

Illinois would be looking at a similar situation to PSU. Their facility is nothing but a recreational skating facility sort of on par with PSU’s Ice Pavilion.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Xwaku5jYkSY/SwVQOscHAiI/AAAAAAAAAFA/sQrQu5OpHsI/s1600/DSCN0357.JPG&imgrefurl=http://modernleisure.blogspot.com/2009/11/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html&usg=__qfDc03096O7kuuoPwa91h2qJZuw=&h=1200&w=1600&sz=240&hl=en&start=7&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=4nIsDNkOZRRzZM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Du%2Bof%2Billinois%2Bice%2Barena%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den-us%26tbs%3Disch:1

Built in 1931, the rink itself is much wider and very boxy compared to a normal rink. But above all, it would seat the players friends and families and not much else. So the university would have to dig deep to afford a new arena, since Assembly Hall is not set up for such a venture.

As for the team itself, made up entirely of Illinoisians, they are probably just a notch below PSU, but not by much.

I really feel with what the Big Ten Network (and the league itself) can offer these schools, that they will be, and probably are already, very much a driving force behind getting as many of their member schools up to Division 1 status. The BTN has shown the capacity to broadcast a number of football games at once. No reason why they can’t televise basketball and hockey at the same time on different channels.

If the Big Ten added hockey and put all the games on the BTN, I wonder how much that could impact recruiting at the conference schools. I’m guessing it would be the only national network televising games regularly. I’m trying to contain my excitement in case we don’t get the good news we want to hear. On the other hand, I’m saving my coins to get season tickets as soon as they go on sale.

It’s already known among General Contractors in the area that this is a done deal. What’s unknown is if they will raze the Greenberg Building or build at a new site. Last I heard is things are moving in the direction of overhauling the existing rink.

You might have missed previous posts that I have made on this subject but it appears that it’s not just the BTN that’s jonesing for a Big Ten Hockey Conference. The word is that NBC is willing to put major bucks on the table to facilitate the formation of the conference. The Big Ten would then sign a deal with NBC similar to the deals that they have with ABC/ESPN for football, and CBS/ESPN for basketball, where NBC would get first pick of the conference games (and would put them on Versus) and the BTN would get the remainder (not sure if the BTN would pick of ALL of the conference games like they do in football and basketball though).

Also, my understanding is that PSU is ready to make a big splash with their coaching hire. They’ve supposedly got an ex-NHL player/coach lined up to take over the program (although he comes with some baggage that might not fit in with the squeaky clean PSU image, so there’s a possibility that the hiring isn’t a done deal).

All I want to know is does Lar have PennStateHockey.com locked up as a domain name for us. :slight_smile:

…will the Icers survive the rebranding?

How about HappyValleyHabitants.com ;D

I am sure they will be referred to as the “icers” but officially they will be the Nittany Lions for hockey. It is possible that a club team will be around along with the Varsity team. PSU has club baseball as well as varsity baseball.

[quote="manatree, post:11, topic:1343"]..will the Icers survive the rebranding?[/quote] I am sure they will be referred to as the "icers" but officially they will be the Nittany Lions for hockey. It is possible that a club team will be around along with the Varsity team. PSU has club baseball as well as varsity baseball.

There already are two hockey programs at PSU, the Icers, who are designated as a “team” sport at PSU, and the Ice Lions, who are a club sport. Both programs compete in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA), the Icers at the D1 level, the Ice Lions at the D-II level. I suppose it’s possible, but I’d be surprised if Penn State tried to support three programs.

Gonna take a stab here… Tocchet?

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:1343"]Also, my understanding is that PSU is ready to make a big splash with their coaching hire. They've supposedly got an ex-NHL player/coach lined up to take over the program (although he comes with some baggage that might not fit in with the squeaky clean PSU image, so there's a possibility that the hiring isn't a done deal).[/quote]

Could be. ;D

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:1343"]Also, my understanding is that PSU is ready to make a big splash with their coaching hire. They've supposedly got an ex-NHL player/coach lined up to take over the program (although he comes with some baggage that might not fit in with the squeaky clean PSU image, so there's a possibility that the hiring isn't a done deal).[/quote]

Could be. ;D

wow definitely a name people would recognize if he ends up being the hire. I would think JoeBa has big influence on these decisions.

I would be really surprised if they would go that way with a coach. They would be smarter to go after a Paul Pooley who is the Associate Head Coach at Notre Dame or a George Gwozdecky from Denver.

These are guys that understand the college game and might be able to be had.

I certainly don’t have your sources, Lar, but I’d be surprised if Penn State hired a hockey coach (Tocchet) with no college experience who pled guilty to third-degree charges of conspiracy and promoting gambling.

He’d make a great assistant coach, though. Lets him rehab his image, and lets us put an NHLer on the recruiting trail. How great would THAT be.

Hey, how about a double-header at the Beav. Outdoors. PSU-OSU hockey, followed by Pens/Flyers. Attendance records would be destroyed. ;D