PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: PSU Football

A little old but haven’t seen it here. Penn State Football has swapped Nevada for Kent State and did Arkansas a favor. All I can say is YUCK. I would have preferred to swap San Jose State and Kent State. Not Nevada. Nevada is a semi-decent team.

2020 would have been the first season Penn State did not schedule a MAC opponent in the regular season since 2001.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with keeping with tradition. But I wish we could have just eliminated SJSU instead. The article says that Kent State had to play 3 SEC teams in a row and they didn’t want to do that. Instead of PSU having to trade with Arkansas I wish that we could have instead traded with a different SEC team so we didn’t have to lose Nevada. But I understand there are other underlying factors. Kentucky and/or Alabama may not have wanted to trade and they might not have wanted SJSU. Meanwhile Arkansas may have been seeking a better opponent all along.

2021 is an interesting schedule to say the least. Check it out.

1 Like

Why do this and give the dumb ass that sent the letter even more attention?

And the players wore them without permission so the shirts were removed from the players and taken off of the field.

That officiating… oh my goodness.

The touchdown being overturned is the kind of thing that should get you suspended for a few games as an official, there’s no justifying.

Then you had an obvious missed false start on a 3rd and short QB sneak where they fumbled it forward and are given a 1st down instead… the next play leads to their touchdown catch, which deserved a much closer look than they gave it because the ball really looked to me like it jarred loose when it hit the ground.

There was some bogus defensive holding call before halftime that extended a drive we had effectively shut down inside their own 10 yard line, which they went on to get points out of before the half. We never saw a replay, they barely discussed it.

Some crap pass interference call on an uncatchable pass that extended another drive we shut down…

The play in their end zone that was ruled a fumble and a recovered touchdown by the line judge, but overruled to be an incomplete pass by the lead official… I see a ball coming loose out of the qb’s hand before his hand moves forward, needed another angle here to really say for certain but felt like another one they barely looked at.

Not to mention the dozen of plays our d-linemen were held with no flags.

And then you get answers like this from the league:

1 Like

In my 50 years of watching PSU football I can not recall three different PSU TD’s being called back due to penalty’s and/or reviews during the same possession.

Was curious if this ever happened to a PSU team before?

A crazy stretch! The TD sure looked good, definitely not over-turnable, but it was kind of good to see all those holds that followed. IMO, Penn State went about two decades clinging to an old-fashioned notion of blocking that put it at a disadvantage against virtually everybody. Maybe it was those stretch yellow unis that made the holds so obvious.

Ummm… To overturn a call, it needs to be conclusive… meaning, it CANNOT be a judgement call. That’s mind-blowing.

2 Likes

It’s not that the shirts were worn without permission. The shirts were made by Champs Downtown and have the Champs logo prominently displayed. They were told to take them off because the NCAA might view it as promoting a product and thus would be an NCAA violation.

And the letter is something that needs to be brought to the forefront. Regardless of what Petersen’s intent was, the letter, in and of itself, is racist. This should be talked about so that other knuckleheads don’t do something similar.

2 Likes

Once I read that the letter-writer was from Johnstown, it reminded me of an article I read a few years ago, which was a deep-dive on the politics of central PA (specifically Johnstown). I don’t care to get into the bulk of the analysis, but the denouement to the piece was really striking (n.b. it looks like the forum filters redact some words, and I did another one on my own volition at the end):

“The thing that irritates me to no end is this NFL ■■■■■■ Schilling told me in her living room. “I’m about ready to go over the top with this ■■■■■ We do not watch no NFL now.” They’re Dallas Cowboys fans. “We banned ’em. We don’t watch it.”

Schilling looked at her husband, Dave McCabe, who’s 67 and a retired high school basketball coach. She nodded at me. “Tell him,” she said to McCabe, “what you said the NFL is …”

McCabe looked momentarily wary. He laughed a little. “I don’t remember saying that,” he said unconvincingly. Schilling was having none of it. “You’re the one that told me, liar,” she said. She looked at me. The NFL? “[Redacted - Use your imagination] for life,” Schilling said.

I still can’t believe that clown sent that letter to a player. That letter should have been sent to the AD or to the head coach imo. Then again, don’t send the letter at all!

Bingo.

Playoff contenders find ways to win games like last night, especially when things are not going your way. Gotta give the team a lot of credit for gutting that one out last night.

2 Likes

PSU moved up to #7 in both the AP and the Coaches polls.

Get ready for next Saturday night!