PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: PSU alum strikes it rich

Anybody know this guy? Wow.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20100529_Shell_pays__4_7B_for_Marcellus_firm.html#axzz0pJoXR2oV

Same major (PNGE), but I was 2 years ahead of him and didn’t know him. Kudos to him for having the guts to start his own exploration company and the smarts and business acumen to make it a big success.

The Terrence M. Pegula Hockey Arena has a nice ring to it. That would be a sweet addition to the PSU sports complex :wink:

[quote=“Offshore, post:2, topic:1198”]Same major (PNGE), but I was 2 years ahead of him and didn’t know him. Kudos to him for having the guts to start his own exploration company and the smarts and business acumen to make it a big success.

The Terrence M. Pegula Hockey Arena has a nice ring to it. That would be a sweet addition to the PSU sports complex ;)[/quote]

I hear there’s been some major progress made towards upgrading the hockey program. Supposedly a major TV network believes college hockey can be developed into a TV sport and they are willing to sink major bucks into seeing it happen. Part of their master plan involves the creation of a Big Ten Hockey League which will be one of the cornerstones of their hockey coverage. In order to get the ball rolling they are willing to donate major bucks to PSU to retrofit the Jordan Center with ice. I was kind of hoping we’d build a new arena for hockey but it looks like that won’t happen.

At this point, whatever it takes to get them varsity.

Though you’d have to think the team(s) would still have to practice at the old ice rink, at least most of the time.

[quote=“Tom, post:4, topic:1198”]At this point, whatever it takes to get them varsity.

Though you’d have to think the team(s) would still have to practice at the old ice rink, at least most of the time.[/quote]

I might be completely wrong on this, but wouldn’t that also mean adding a women’s sport? Would that be ice hockey as well?

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:1198"]At this point, whatever it takes to get them varsity.

Though you’d have to think the team(s) would still have to practice at the old ice rink, at least most of the time.[/quote]

I might be completely wrong on this, but wouldn’t that also mean adding a women’s sport? Would that be ice hockey as well?

Yes and yes.

[quote=“Tom, post:4, topic:1198”]At this point, whatever it takes to get them varsity.

They would. That’s why I had hoped they would build a complete new ice facility that would have included a practice rink also.

I remember a couple of years ago there was extended discussion of a potential new PSU hockey rink on this board. Posters were citing the Robert Morris rink on Neville Island as being a very nice size. I think it was not expensive also.

RMU rink:
http://www.rmuislandsports.org/web/cms/isc/pages/default.aspx

Correct me if I am wrong, but Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota are the only Big Ten schools with varsity hockey. Penn State and Illinois have pretty good club teams. But from what I understand, club hockey is pretty far behind varsity hockey – at least at the level the other Big Ten schools are playing. Are any other schools playing at the club level (I thought maybe Indiana was also, but could be wrong)?

If they really wanted to, Penn State could probably add only men’s hockey and still be “substantially proportionate” to the student body numbers, Title IX prong test #1. Right now (based on Princeton Review and Equity in Athletics Data), the UP campus is 55% male while the athletic department is 57% male. Adding a team of 25 hockey players would still keep the ratio 58%.

Obviously Penn State would add both, but still…

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:1198"]At this point, whatever it takes to get them varsity.

Yes and yes.

Or they could just have Ed go to Europe and stash some hockey players on his team. I’m kidding!

You are correct. The five Big Ten schools you mention currently play NCAA hockey. Indiana and Illinois are the other schools besides Penn State to play in the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association). It would take at least one more Big Ten team to elevate their club program to varsity status to form a Big Ten Hockey League. The rumor I heard was that one other program was lined up to make the move along with Penn State and it was not Illinois, the most logical candidate, so I presume it’s Indiana.

[quote="mjg, post:9, topic:1198"]Correct me if I am wrong, but Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota are the only Big Ten schools with varsity hockey. Penn State and Illinois have pretty good club teams. But from what I understand, club hockey is pretty far behind varsity hockey -- at least at the level the other Big Ten schools are playing. Are any other schools playing at the club level (I thought maybe Indiana was also, but could be wrong)?[/quote]

You are correct. The five Big Ten schools you mention currently play NCAA hockey. Indiana and Illinois are the other schools besides Penn State to play in the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association). It would take at least one more Big Ten team to elevate their club program to varsity status to form a Big Ten Hockey League. The rumor I heard was that one other program was lined up to make the move along with Penn State and it was not Illinois, the most logical candidate, so I presume it’s Indiana.

I hope it happens. I’ve been a huge hockey fan for most of my almost 44 years. If Penn State gets a varsity team, I’ll be pretty excited. I think we could have a pretty good program within a reasonable amount of time.

One of the challenges would involve sustaining fan interest until the new varsity hockey program reaches competitiveness. It’s a big jump from club to Division I. We might be really lousy for 2-3 years after making the move to Division I. Would we have lost fan and recruits’ interest by then? It might be a tough hole to climb out of. Penn Staters are a bit spoiled and don’t pay much attention unless you’re competing for Conference and national championships.

I wonder if that major TV network in Lar’s post would be Fox (BTN).

With regard to Mr. Pegula, we don’t seem to know whether he’s a hockey fan, and I’m not sure (haven’t researched) whether he’s even been a past donor to Penn State.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:14, topic:1198”]One of the challenges would involve sustaining fan interest until the new varsity hockey program reaches competitiveness. It’s a big jump from club to Division I. We might be really lousy for 2-3 years after making the move to Division I. Would we have lost fan and recruits’ interest by then? It might be a tough hole to climb out of. Penn Staters are a bit spoiled and don’t pay much attention unless you’re competing for Conference and national championships.

I wonder if that major TV network in Lar’s post would be Fox (BTN).

With regard to Mr. Pegula, we don’t seem to know whether he’s a hockey fan, and I’m not sure (haven’t researched) whether he’s even been a past donor to Penn State. [/quote]

No.

And Pegula has given to Penn State athletics in the past.

I don’t follow hockey any longer, but I think PSU scholorship hockey would be a good fit. The “hockey craze” appears very strong in PA. I would like to see a new hockey facility (not the BJC. ) I think local PSU fans would support the team thru the “learning curve.” I think the hockey team would move PSU forward in the college sport business.

Lar, why the secrecy with regards to the network? Are you a PSU hockey insider as well? ;D

It’s a new ESPN channel…the Uncle :slight_smile:

My info came from someone outside the hockey program. I’m just reluctant to say too much because I don’t know how much he was told in confidence and how much my leaking stuff might compromise him. On the other hand, it’s not too hard to guess. It’s NBC. I think they are kind of getting desperate for sports programming, particularly at the college level. The fact that they are showing the USA Rugby Sevens Collegiate National Championship tournament this coming weekend should suggest as much.

Note: Penn State is in the rugby tournament and will be playing Ohio State in the final game of round robin play and the game will be televised by NBC at 5:30 on Saturday. Both schools will be among the favorites so it could be a pretty good game. The games don’t last very long so don’t tune in after 6 expecting to see anything.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:17, topic:1198"]Lar, why the secrecy with regards to the network? Are you a PSU hockey insider as well? ;D[/quote]

My info came from someone outside the hockey program. I’m just reluctant to say too much because I don’t know how much he was told in confidence and how much my leaking stuff might compromise him. On the other hand, it’s not too hard to guess. It’s NBC. I think they are kind of getting desperate for sports programming, particularly at the college level. The fact that they are showing the USA Rugby Sevens Collegiate National Championship tournament this coming weekend should suggest as much.

Note: Penn State is in the rugby tournament and will be playing Ohio State in the final game of round robin play and the game will be televised by NBC at 5:30 on Saturday. Both schools will be among the favorites so it could be a pretty good game. The games don’t last very long so don’t tune in after 6 expecting to see anything.

Are you saying games only last a half hour? Interesting.