PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Props to PSUer Ali Krieger for her World Cup game winning kick

Kreiger, a defensive stallwart throughout the entire game, was called on to take the decisive fifth kick in a dramatic USA victory over Brazil in a World Cup quarterfinal victory.

Playing shorthanded for much of the match, the USA scored a dramatic game tying goal with just seconds remaining in extra time during the second overtime when Abby Wambach headed a perfect pass from Megan Rapinoe into the Brazilian net, sending the game to penalty kicks. Hope Solo came up with a huge save that set the stage for Kreiger’s dramatic kick. Kreiger, a defender, was chosen to make the final kick because one of the normal penalty kickers, forward Lauren Cheney, was red carded early in the game.

Sports Illustrated with the full story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJiYY1b89s#t=0m41s

Great game. Abby Wambach’s goal was incredible.

It was a great game and absolutely incredible finish.

Rachel Buehler, a defender, received the red card.

Erica Walsh is an assist. coach as well.

I’m a World Cup junkie…having gone to games (including the '99 women’s semifinal win over Brazil at Stanford Stadium) and also gotten up many an overnight to watch two countries that most people couldn’t pick out on a map, let alone watch play soccer.

Anyway, for me, this was the most scintillating match of soccer I have ever seen, men or women. Playing a player short after letting up a controversial goal…only to see one of the greatest players ever to don a US jersey score in what looked like her final minute of her final World Cup. All this, a dozen years to the day that Brandi Chastain’s goal gave the US the 1999 title.

Stunning stuff.

About the only thing missing was Ali Krieger ripping off her jersey after scoring the fifth and final shootout goal to reveal her Penn State sports bra :slight_smile:

I didn’t know Ali almost didn’t make it out of school alive. Big thanks to former PSU football player Brent Wise for his role in saving her life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ali-krieger-overcomes-some-bumps-on-the-road-to-the-womens-world-cup/2011/06/13/AG3JBlTH_story.html

What if?

Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery were doing the game?

http://youtu.be/IngiX9zZRc8

[quote=“mjg, post:6, topic:2542”]I didn’t know Ali almost didn’t make it out of school alive. Big thanks to former PSU football player Brent Wise for his role in saving her life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ali-krieger-overcomes-some-bumps-on-the-road-to-the-womens-world-cup/2011/06/13/AG3JBlTH_story.html[/quote]

A little connection…

Brent Wise is from Central Dauphin, right here in the Harrisburg area. same high school as Penn State hoops target Devin Thomas.

Brent Wise was one fo those kids that Paterno & Staff took a lot of flack over giving a scholarship. He was a poster boy for nepotism. I think it turned out great for the program.

I didn't know Ali almost didn't make it out of school alive. Big thanks to former PSU football player Brent Wise for his role in saving her life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ali-krieger-overcomes-some-bumps-on-the-road-to-the-womens-world-cup/2011/06/13/AG3JBlTH_story.html

A little connection…

Brent Wise is from Central Dauphin, right here in the Harrisburg area. same high school as Penn State hoops target Devin Thomas.

Brent Wise was one fo those kids that Paterno & Staff took a lot of flack over giving a scholarship. He was a poster boy for nepotism. I think it turned out great for the program.

It at least turned out great for the women’s soccer program ;D

Nice article on Wise

http://news.medinfo.ufl.edu/uncategorized/match-madness-from-division-1-football-to-medicine-brent-wise-is-ready-to-begin-a-career-in-orthopaedic-surgery/

Nice article on Ali and her brother.

http://www2.insidenova.com/sports/2011/jul/17/ali-krieger-her-older-brothers-little-miracle-ar-1178123/

Gotta say I’m pretty excited to watch this game today. The only women’s soccer I watched prior to the last two games of this WC was the finals of the 1999 WC.

For the most part I despise women’s athletics. It’s not a sexist thing, I just don’t find them compelling at all and I get annoyed how the TV production on all of them tries to desperately to justify them with comparisons to their men’s counterparts. But this is actually not that bad of soccer they are playing from a spectators point of view, it’s much more entertaining than I expected.

Craftsy,
I watched a good portion of the game yesterday. While the ladies’ games are usually not as physical as watching the men’s, I have to say the complete lack of diving was very refreshing. For the most part, when a player went down it was because she was taken out, not because she was trying to draw a foul. Not being a soccer player myself, I could enjoy their skills (still far above my own) and teamwork.

I thought it was a great watch. It was just the outcome that stank :’(

[quote=“MarkH, post:13, topic:2542”]Craftsy,
I watched a good portion of the game yesterday. While the ladies’ games are usually not as physical as watching the men’s, I have to say the complete lack of diving was very refreshing. For the most part, when a player went down it was because she was taken out, not because she was trying to draw a foul. Not being a soccer player myself, I could enjoy their skills (still far above my own) and teamwork.

I thought it was a great watch. It was just the outcome that stank :’([/quote]
I think diving in women’s soccer was summarized in 2 words…“Mia Hamm.” She was amazing!! Stat guys…check out her # of PK goals.
I see some HS and college women’s soccer and I don’t see a diving problem.

Soccer is probably one of the few ball sports where the game isn’t significantly different between the men’s side and women’s side.

Volleyball has a different height net and different strategies.
Baseball and softball obviously are very different
Lacrosse is quite different.
Basketball has a different ball and strategies are very different.
I believe ice hockey has some physicality rules differences akin to lacrosse (someone please correct me)

Tennis would be another that’s very similar between both men and women, maybe the reason I enjoy that as a woman’s sport also.

Yesterday was pretty tough to watch, the USA were dominating most of the game and just couldn’t take advantage of opportunities, eventually the Japanese were able to make them pay for it on two different occasions. Did not feel like the US deserved to win as a result, they did not play anywhere near their best game on the biggest stage. And if they were going to lose I’m glad it was to Japan, who seems like a team and a nation that will really cherish the victory (not to mention they could use some good fortune) rather than a Brazil type of team who felt like they deserved to win.

I think the women’s tournament may have made more American soccer fans than the most recent men’s, and I’m all for the increase in the game’s popularity no matter how it’s done.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:16, topic:2542”]Tennis would be another that’s very similar between both men and women, maybe the reason I enjoy that as a woman’s sport also.

Yesterday was pretty tough to watch, the USA were dominating most of the game and just couldn’t take advantage of opportunities, eventually the Japanese were able to make them pay for it on two different occasions. Did not feel like the US deserved to win as a result, they did not play anywhere near their best game on the biggest stage. And if they were going to lose I’m glad it was to Japan, who seems like a team and a nation that will really cherish the victory (not to mention they could use some good fortune) rather than a Brazil type of team who felt like they deserved to win.

I think the women’s tournament may have made more American soccer fans than the most recent men’s, and I’m all for the increase in the game’s popularity no matter how it’s done.[/quote]

I was talking to a Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) player about ten days ago (before the USA/Brazil match). She really questioned whether her sport, and in extension, almost any women’s professional sport, really had a future in this country. She felt that enough fans didn’t come out to make their sport viable. Here’s hoping the World Cup converts enough fans that women’s soccer attendance gets a noticeable, and sustainable, uptick.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:16, topic:2542"]Tennis would be another that's very similar between both men and women, maybe the reason I enjoy that as a woman's sport also.

I think the women’s tournament may have made more American soccer fans than the most recent men’s, and I’m all for the increase in the game’s popularity no matter how it’s done.[/quote]

I was talking to a Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) player about ten days ago (before the USA/Brazil match). She really questioned whether her sport, and in extension, almost any women’s professional sport, really had a future in this country. She felt that enough fans didn’t come out to make their sport viable. Here’s hoping the World Cup converts enough fans that women’s soccer attendance gets a noticeable, and sustainable, uptick.

It needs more than an uptick.

Reality is, women’s sports are at best a JV version of men’s sports. You have to have another reason to follow a women’s team other than watching top notch sports.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:18, topic:2542”]It needs more than an uptick.

Reality is, women’s sports are at best a JV version of men’s sports. You have to have another reason to follow a women’s team other than watching top notch sports.[/quote]

Depends on the sport and the spectator. Except for the majors, I prefer to watch women’s golf. And I almost always prefer women’s tennis. Soccer can go either way. Except for the very elite teams (Canada vs USA), women’s hockey is barely watchable (although, I’ll watch that over a lot of other men’s sports).

[quote="Craftsy21, post:16, topic:2542"]Tennis would be another that's very similar between both men and women, maybe the reason I enjoy that as a woman's sport also.

It needs more than an uptick.

Reality is, women’s sports are at best a JV version of men’s sports. You have to have another reason to follow a women’s team other than watching top notch sports.

Typical sexist remark.

Why do you watch any college sports then? Clearly pro athletes are better, so you should watch nothing but them.