PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Prius Plug In Conversions

I’m looking at the new Prius v (the larger version). I love everything about the car so far. My brother mentioned that there are aftermarket plug in conversion kits available that can increase fuel mileage – basically by extending the range of battery only driving to 25-40 miles or so before it goes back to normal hybrid mode. Since it’s 26 miles round trip to work for me, that range is right in my wheelhouse. I’ve been looking around online, but don’t really see much current info. Found some older info citing high costs and less than great performance – basically not worth the price. I also found info indicating the price has come down considerably, but nothing on performance. Does anyone here have any practical experience on this subject? I’m 98% sure I’m buying the car. But I’d love to know if I should even bother looking at these kits right now.

Yea but can it hold a gun rack? ::slight_smile:

MJG: I can’t help much on the plug-in conversion. I briefly considered it for my 2005 Prius (bought it used with 30,000 miles in 2008), but the forums I was looking at then made it sound like something you’d only do if you had enough extra cash laying around to buy a couple new Prii if you screwed something up.

That said, I’m a big fan of the car. I’ve got over 170,000 miles on it, and nary a problem. Although since I paid it off last month, I’m sure that will change now. :slight_smile:

I get about 45 mpg in the winter and 54 in the summer.

The V is interesting, but I’m not sure I understand the need for more room. I’ve never had trouble fitting anything in the car, and I’ve hauled a lot of random stuff with it. Also, the passenger section already seemed very roomy.