PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Possible Iowa Recruiting Violations?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5748959&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_collhoops_5748959

DES MOINES, Iowa -- The University of Iowa has told the NCAA the school allowed two basketball recruits to meet celebrity Hawkeye fans Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore. Such a meeting would be a recruiting violation.

First Gatens, now this. ???

I’m sure they just “happened” to be whereever the players were at the time.

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1434”]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5748959&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_collhoops_5748959

[quote]DES MOINES, Iowa – The University of Iowa has told the NCAA the school allowed two basketball recruits to meet celebrity Hawkeye fans Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore. Such a meeting would be a recruiting violation.
[/quote]

First Gatens, now this. ???[/quote]

BTW - Gatens is only expected to miss two games, so his loss isn’t as traumatic as originally hypothesized.

Thanks Lar. Iowa will need all the help they can get.

I was pleased to hear that he was only expected to be out for three weeks. I met his dad thirty some years ago on a trip I made to Iowa City for a football game. We reconnect every few years around some PSU/Iowa athletic event and I was looking forward to his dad visiting State College for Iowa’s game this year (although he might not make the trip, since it’s a Wed night game).

LOL the fact that this is a recruiting violation in the first place is the saddest part of this story.

They should examine all these rulebooks and go through them with the “who really cares” line of questioning… in this case, I think it would not hold up very well. They met two minor A-list celebrities by chance at a football game and got a picture. Big freaking deal.

Can’t imagine much coming of this. A minor violation which they reported to the NCAA. No big deal.

No, it’s not a big deal but it’s still an NCAA rule that I agree with. Is it a recruiting advantage for USC to bring Will Farrell on to the sidelines at the colluseum? It’s one thing to bring someone like that in with the current kids, but how powerful of a recruiting tool is that with HS recruits?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1434”]LOL the fact that this is a recruiting violation in the first place is the saddest part of this story.

They should examine all these rulebooks and go through them with the “who really cares” line of questioning… in this case, I think it would not hold up very well. They met two minor A-list celebrities by chance at a football game and got a picture. Big freaking deal.[/quote]

Sad truth is, the rule has to be there. You can’t think of the “what does it hurt” side of it, you have to think of the “how can this be exploited” side of it.

In SEC country, who do you think would “just so happen” to be there to meet recruits?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1434"]LOL the fact that this is a recruiting violation in the first place is the saddest part of this story.

They should examine all these rulebooks and go through them with the “who really cares” line of questioning… in this case, I think it would not hold up very well. They met two minor A-list celebrities by chance at a football game and got a picture. Big freaking deal.[/quote]

Sad truth is, the rule has to be there. You can’t think of the “what does it hurt” side of it, you have to think of the “how can this be exploited” side of it.

In SEC country, who do you think would “just so happen” to be there to meet recruits?

Ashley Judd? She might have made me want to go to Kentucky :slight_smile:

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1434"]LOL the fact that this is a recruiting violation in the first place is the saddest part of this story.

I understand that well and good, and I still don’t see how it’s a big deal. If that’s really the difference between one school and another for a recruit, well then I feel sorry for that kid.

But I don’t see how this is any of the NCAA’s business, who they might meet at a school they visit. We’re talking about meeting someone - not taking money, not accepting gifts… just meeting somebody who happens to be famous. What does it matter? You really think the most successful schools would become the ones with the most celebrities if this went unchecked? I don’t, and I think it’s a silly waste of resources to worry about such things. But that’s just my opinion I suppose.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:12, topic:1434”]I understand that well and good, and I still don’t see how it’s a big deal. If that’s really the difference between one school and another for a recruit, well then I feel sorry for that kid.

But I don’t see how this is any of the NCAA’s business, who they might meet at a school they visit. We’re talking about meeting someone - not taking money, not accepting gifts… just meeting somebody who happens to be famous. What does it matter? You really think the most successful schools would become the ones with the most celebrities if this went unchecked? I don’t, and I think it’s a silly waste of resources to worry about such things. But that’s just my opinion I suppose.[/quote]
So if a kid goes to Florida on a recruiting trip and he happens to meet up with Joakim Noah. Noah tells him “if it wasn’t for the coaches at Florida he would have never made the NBA etc.”

People can have influence over high school kids.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I heard this rule a few years back. If a potential PSU QB recruit wants to discuss things with Kerry Collins, he is allowed to contact Kerry and Kerry can talk to him. But Kerry can’t make contact with the recruit. Can PSU give the recruit Kerry’s phone number if he asks for it?

I understand that well and good, and I still don’t see how it’s a big deal. If that’s really the difference between one school and another for a recruit, well then I feel sorry for that kid.

But I don’t see how this is any of the NCAA’s business, who they might meet at a school they visit. We’re talking about meeting someone - not taking money, not accepting gifts… just meeting somebody who happens to be famous. What does it matter? You really think the most successful schools would become the ones with the most celebrities if this went unchecked? I don’t, and I think it’s a silly waste of resources to worry about such things. But that’s just my opinion I suppose.

The term “famous” can be interpreted differently.

Every recruit will be paraded to all the rich boosters, not just an innocent meeting with Demi and Ashton

Yes a recruit could talk to Kerry if they initiated the call. However, the conversation can’t be about going to Penn State. If the recruit were to ask Kerry anything about PSU, he’s supposed to refer them to the athletic department. Giving the recruit Kerry’s phone number would be a grey area and could be considered arranging contact between the two which is a no-no.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:12, topic:1434"]I understand that well and good, and I still don't see how it's a big deal. If that's really the difference between one school and another for a recruit, well then I feel sorry for that kid.

But I don’t see how this is any of the NCAA’s business, who they might meet at a school they visit. We’re talking about meeting someone - not taking money, not accepting gifts… just meeting somebody who happens to be famous. What does it matter? You really think the most successful schools would become the ones with the most celebrities if this went unchecked? I don’t, and I think it’s a silly waste of resources to worry about such things. But that’s just my opinion I suppose.[/quote]
So if a kid goes to Florida on a recruiting trip and he happens to meet up with Joakim Noah. Noah tells him “if it wasn’t for the coaches at Florida he would have never made the NBA etc.”

And what would be wrong with having that influence, or many influences from a bunch of schools? These coaches would tell him all the wonderful reasons to goto all their schools, why shouldn’t somebody who went there be able to chime in on it also?

Again - if you’re not actually promising them gifts or money, there should be nothing wrong with this in my view. If a celebrity really cares about a college program that much and he wants to help recruit people there, so long as he isn’t bribing players to get them committed, there shouldn’t be a problem.

The NCAA needs to get its nose out of everyone’s butts - meeting a celebrity like that was probably one of the least things they should be concerned about on a typical recruiting trip. Are we really going to stat deciding if the title of celebrity fits for any alumni a recruit might bump into on campus of a big football weekend? Better make a new committee to decide who qualifies for such things at PSU, throw some tuition money at it.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:12, topic:1434"]I understand that well and good, and I still don't see how it's a big deal. If that's really the difference between one school and another for a recruit, well then I feel sorry for that kid.

And what would be wrong with having that influence, or many influences from a bunch of schools? These coaches would tell him all the wonderful reasons to goto all their schools, why shouldn’t somebody who went there be able to chime in on it also?

Again - if you’re not actually promising them gifts or money, there should be nothing wrong with this in my view. If a celebrity really cares about a college program that much and he wants to help recruit people there, so long as he isn’t bribing players to get them committed, there shouldn’t be a problem.

The NCAA needs to get its nose out of everyone’s butts - meeting a celebrity like that was probably one of the least things they should be concerned about on a typical recruiting trip. Are we really going to stat deciding if the title of celebrity fits for any alumni a recruit might bump into on campus of a big football weekend? Better make a new committee to decide who qualifies for such things at PSU, throw some tuition money at it.

It has nothing to do with celebrity. It is any representative of the University (and that includes members of the NLC, Hoops Club, and I think season ticket holders) that create the problem. The NCAA limits who can have contact. Everyone else can’t. The only issue with celebrity was that the recruits tweeted about it, so the NCAA found out about it.

It has nothing to do with celebrity. It is any representative of the University (and that includes members of the NLC, Hoops Club, and I think season ticket holders) that create the problem. The NCAA limits who can have contact. Everyone else can’t. The only issue with celebrity was that the recruits tweeted about it, so the NCAA found out about it.

edit: More to the point - what I’m saying is why limit who they can contact at all?

I just think the whole thing is stupid. They are not preventing a damn thing by having these rules in place. Do they make life a bit more difficult for would-be cheaters? Sure, I guess. Maybe a smidgen. But most aren’t dumb enough to be that open about their cheating anyways. If anything, they might be able to get more detective work done if they just had an completely open policy about who you can meet.

But I’m still just more of the opinion of “who cares?” Cheating is going to happen regardless of how many rules you put in place, let’s quit playing this little dance already and just have some transparency and common sense put in place instead of more and more regulation.