PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT:Philadelphia Blogger License Fee

My goodness, talk about a way to kill a potential industry, and stunt locals’ ability to improve web skills. How about looking at spending guys? Bloggers to the burbs! Glad this site isn’t domiciled there. Hire an accountant? I’d say, “fire a bureaucrat.”

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/philly-requiring-bloggers-to-pay-300-for-a-business-license-101264664.html

Good luck enforcing it.

"To the city of Philadelphia, it’s a potential moneymaker, and the city wants its cut."

“…and yes, cash-strapped cities can’t very well ignore potential sources of income.”

Why do our governments continue to find new ways to dig deeper into our pockets? There has to be an income threshold that needs to be met before a “hobby” becomes a “business” requiring the “business priveledge license”. Is there any common sense left anywhere in this world?

[quote=“mjg, post:3, topic:1302”][quote]“To the city of Philadelphia, it’s a potential moneymaker, and the city wants its cut.”

“…and yes, cash-strapped cities can’t very well ignore potential sources of income.”[/quote]

Why do our governments continue to find new ways to dig deeper into our pockets? There has to be an income threshold that needs to be met before a “hobby” becomes a “business” requiring the “business priveledge license”. Is there any common sense left anywhere in this world?[/quote]

They don’t know how to cut spending. Never having had to do it, they have no experience in doing so, so they search for revenue everywhere.

This sorta fits the times. (please let me know if it can’t be opened. I’ll try something else.)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123146363567166677.html

All this does is give folks a reason not to claim those earnings on their taxes.

Look for governments to seek all sorts of ways to squeeze out more tax revenue, as public sector employee salaries and pensions continue to go out of control and bust state budgets. Here are a few things to look forward to

[ul][li]Taxes on anything that can be justified based on potential added health care costs (junk food, motorcycles, tanning, etc.)[/li]
[li]State governments obtaining credit card records to seek out unpaid sales taxes from on-line purchases[/li]
[li]Return of the 55 mph speed limit, with increased enforcement[/li]
[li]Stepped up inspections of all kinds in an effort to collect fines[/li][/ul]

This till we get a value added tax. If you don’t believe this one, the government is already preparing for this: small businesses are being required to keep track of all purchases (not just consultants) and report them to the IRS (via 1099 forms). This was tacked on to the health care bill of all things.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Western Pa and Pittsburgh sure has this backwards…
The area’s largest employer is a very profitable “nonprofit” organization which doesn’t pay taxes!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07130/784790-28.stm

BUT, the politicians will complain about paying benefits to city employees…

Doesn’t matter. All they have to do is contact the ISP’s and get records. Anybody with a Philly address will be subject. It’s a $300 fee if you seek a business license, not if you’re making money at it. So, you can’t even set up a site with a way to pay without paying the fee. It’s a license fee, not a tax. :wink:

[quote=“OzLion, post:6, topic:1302”]Look for governments to seek all sorts of ways to squeeze out more tax revenue, as public sector employee salaries and pensions continue to go out of control and bust state budgets. Here are a few things to look forward to

[ul][li]Taxes on anything that can be justified based on potential added health care costs (junk food, motorcycles, tanning, etc.)[/li]
[li]State governments obtaining credit card records to seek out unpaid sales taxes from on-line purchases[/li]

This till we get a value added tax. If you don’t believe this one, the government is already preparing for this: small businesses are being required to keep track of all purchases (not just consultants) and report them to the IRS (via 1099 forms). This was tacked on to the health care bill of all things.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.[/quote]

This is dead on. I once got an inspection ticket for $80(now $110). I was 5 days over. When I complained, the DMV stated, “yes, costs have gone up, we need the money.” On further investigation, as I got the ticket from a cop 5 miles out of his town, they said cops can do that. Then, another cop told me it was probably a contract from the state. Evidently, the state(Vermont, in this case) will have a contract, like inspections in the first week of the new month, where they do a revenue share with the local police. So, if you write a $110 ticket, it’s maybe a 50/50 split, so it’s an incentive to the local police departments, as towns are strapped too. Wonderful, huh? Once, at RPI, my son got a $35 ticket, and towed, which cost $110. When I complained to the towing company that it was outrageous as he was towed two blocks, he said, “I only get $65, the state gets $35 and the city(Troy) gets $10. I could make a living off RPI students. I probably make $50,000 per year towing their cars.” I guess they figure that if you can pay the tuition, you can afford it.

This brings up George Reisman’s (author of Capitalism) point about who you’re more afraid of, criminals, organized crime, street thugs, etc., or your own government, police, municipalities, the IRS, etc?

[quote=“tundra, post:7, topic:1302”]Western Pa and Pittsburgh sure has this backwards…
The area’s largest employer is a very profitable “nonprofit” organization which doesn’t pay taxes!!

BUT, the politicians will complain about paying benefits to city employees…[/quote]I was expecting this to be about my current employer Highmark not UPMC. Highmark also has performed well the past few years. Unfortunately, last year we won then lost after a protest and re-bid a very lucrative Medicare region claim processing contract. Now I’m in a pool for a “voluntary reduction program”. Volunteers get 3 weeks of pay and health coverage for each year of service instead of 2 weeks. If they don’t get enough volunteers then they’ll fire people to get to the # they want to reduce. They want 50 of 208 application developers in my pool. They’re notifying the volunteers on Friday. Not sure when they’ll notify the rest of us.

The main reason cited for the staff reductions is that administrative overhead is too high for us to be competitive when Obama-care hits.

Also, anyone know if it is ok to target people for dismissal based upon short-term disability? They said I was put into the pool due to 75% of my effort last year going to non-funded projects. My time reports put the # at 58%. The only way I even get close is to include my 4 weeks of short-term disability for knee replacement last year.

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:1302"]Western Pa and Pittsburgh sure has this backwards............... The area's largest employer is a very profitable "nonprofit" organization which doesn't pay taxes!!

BUT, the politicians will complain about paying benefits to city employees…[/quote]I was expecting this to be about my current employer Highmark not UPMC. Highmark also has performed well the past few years. Unfortunately, last year we won then lost after a protest and re-bid a very lucrative Medicare region claim processing contract. Now I’m in a pool for a “voluntary reduction program”. Volunteers get 3 weeks of pay and health coverage for each year of service instead of 2 weeks. If they don’t get enough volunteers then they’ll fire people to get to the # they want to reduce. They want 50 of 208 application developers in my pool. They’re notifying the volunteers on Friday. Not sure when they’ll notify the rest of us.

The main reason cited for the staff reductions is that administrative overhead is too high for us to be competitive when Obama-care hits.

Also, anyone know if it is ok to target people for dismissal based upon short-term disability? They said I was put into the pool due to 75% of my effort last year going to non-funded projects. My time reports put the # at 58%. The only way I even get close is to include my 4 weeks of short-term disability for knee replacement last year.

Good luck Jakkl…

All this does is give folks a reason not to claim those earnings on their taxes.

Doesn’t matter. All they have to do is contact the ISP’s and get records. Anybody with a Philly address will be subject. It’s a $300 fee if you seek a business license, not if you’re making money at it. So, you can’t even set up a site with a way to pay without paying the fee. It’s a license fee, not a tax. :wink:

Look for governments to seek all sorts of ways to squeeze out more tax revenue, as public sector employee salaries and pensions continue to go out of control and bust state budgets. Here are a few things to look forward to

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

This is dead on. I once got an inspection ticket for $80(now $110). I was 5 days over. When I complained, the DMV stated, “yes, costs have gone up, we need the money.” On further investigation, as I got the ticket from a cop 5 miles out of his town, they said cops can do that. Then, another cop told me it was probably a contract from the state. Evidently, the state(Vermont, in this case) will have a contract, like inspections in the first week of the new month, where they do a revenue share with the local police. So, if you write a $110 ticket, it’s maybe a 50/50 split, so it’s an incentive to the local police departments, as towns are strapped too. Wonderful, huh? Once, at RPI, my son got a $35 ticket, and towed, which cost $110. When I complained to the towing company that it was outrageous as he was towed two blocks, he said, “I only get $65, the state gets $35 and the city(Troy) gets $10. I could make a living off RPI students. I probably make $50,000 per year towing their cars.” I guess they figure that if you can pay the tuition, you can afford it.

This brings up George Reisman’s (author of Capitalism) point about who you’re more afraid of, criminals, organized crime, street thugs, etc., or your own government, police, municipalities, the IRS, etc?

You’re preaching to the choir here, Kid.

Anyone who went to Penn State Main Campus know about the tow Nazis. Honestly, the WORST I have ever experienced in my life!!!