PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Penn State's Inevitable March to the FBS Championship

Granted, I’ve been a Penn State fan as long as I’ve been alive, but even I got a laugh out of the “objective analysis” contained in the attached report. I could swear this was written by our own PennStateChamps08!

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/college/2010/big-ten/penn-state-starting-to-roll-at-2-1/

This person must be bucking for a job in the SID’s office…

Actually it sounds like somebody who knows nothing about the program but what they just looked up on espn.com about us. Mostly just filler to draw in links for the website would be my educated guess.

notice the final line…

Information for this article was provided by [url=http://www.gopsusports.com]www.gopsusports.com[/url]

A wonderful piece of journalism.

It could actually pass as some type of “current events” write up for a 5th grader.

No, I can’t take credit for this article. Penn State is good this year, and anythings possible, but still a long way to go. Temple is undefeated this year, they are 3-0. I don’t think Temple will be the walkover this year they usually are in football.

Something you football fans may not have noticed…

3 of PSU’s 4 OOC opponents are undefeated outside the PSU game.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:6, topic:1357”]Something you football fans may not have noticed…

3 of PSU’s 4 OOC opponents are undefeated outside the PSU game.[/quote]
Mighty MAC schools, and one SEC school (which we lost to).

Although, the SEC hype is really annoying me this year. The SEC is ok, but they are not head and shoulders above the B10 this year. The media is making a deal about Bama beating up on PSU as an arguement for the strength of the SEC - Well, yeah, the top team in a mjor conference SHOULD be able to beat the #4 or 5 team in a different conference, jeeze.

We are not a very good BCS conference team right now (in PSU’s usual standards). Could that be different later in the year as Bolden, the line, and the defense matures? Yes, it could be, but as of right now we are not going to set the conference on fire.

Watch out if PSU beats Temple 24-0, this guy might wet his pants over all the excitement and make his reservations for Glendale, AZ on Jan 10, 2011.

In all seriousness, this PSU team has one advantage over many teams in the Big Ten. They’ve faced the best team in the nation in their home stadium and walked away with a few things to hang their hat on. True, the scoreboard was ugly, but Bolden and the PSU offense were able to move the ball. The defense could have been a bit more stout, but I feel once you’ve faced the best team, you learn a lot about what you need to work on to become a better team and implement those things into your practices to become that better team. The very reason why PSU Hoops should be looking to schedule games at Rupp Arena or Cameron or the like (2000-2001 anyone?). You’re not going to win those games (unless you have JC3 and JC5 running amuck :)), but you learn how to play against the best competition, which helps you in handling the tougher teams in the Big Ten come conference play. And that’s what a game at Bama does for this football team.

We won’t see the true effect of playing and losing that game in Tuscaloosa until the Nits head off to Iowa City next week. To me, despite their loss to Zona last Saturday night, the Hawkeyes have both a sound team and the Nittany’s number. But I saw a number of things that Iowa does, or does not do, that could very well play into the hands of PSU and Bolden. And will Iowa be as tough as Bama…hardly.

They win that one and the schedule opens up for them a little. Even more so, PSU gains the confidence and swagger that should help them refocus on a run through the Big Ten schedule. So far, only Ohio State looks unbeatable, and there-in lies the problem for PSU. I really don’t see any way that PSU beats OSU in Columbus, save for an injury to Pryor. So as much as I feel that the Nits have a shot at Iowa and can compete and beat the rest of their Big Ten brethren, that one major league hurdle facing them in Columbus will not be easily cleared. They most resemble Alabama, and for Penn State, that is not a good thing.

But, if you want to get your rocks off and write about how great PSU is based on beating two teams from the state of Ohio not named the Buckeyes (Bengals, Browns or even Bearcats for that matter) have at it. I for one pretty much tune out PSU football (except for 9/11 in Bama) until the calendar turns to October.

Something you football fans may not have noticed...

3 of PSU’s 4 OOC opponents are undefeated outside the PSU game.

Although, the SEC hype is really annoying me this year. The SEC is ok, but they are not head and shoulders above the B10 this year. The media is making a deal about Bama beating up on PSU as an arguement for the strength of the SEC - Well, yeah, the top team in a mjor conference SHOULD be able to beat the #4 or 5 team in a different conference, jeeze.

We are not a very good BCS conference team right now (in PSU’s usual standards). Could that be different later in the year as Bolden, the line, and the defense matures? Yes, it could be, but as of right now we are not going to set the conference on fire.

The one problem with your argument is in looking at the Big Ten. Honestly, who is better than PSU right now? Ohio State, without a doubt. Iowa, probably so. Wisconsin…jury is still out on them. Michigan State…they have chutzpah, I’ll give them that. Michigan, not for one minute(man) ;). Am I missing anyone else…NW (yippee, they won the Brain Bowl by winning at Vandy and Rice), Minnesota (did give USC a run, but lost to South Dakota Teachers College), Illinois, Indiana, Purdue…yuck, yuck and triple yuck.

The conference doesn’t look all that formidable once you get past the first three or four schools, so PSU doesn’t have to be a “very good BCS team” right now to be considered for a top three finish in the league.

You have to look at the competition to make a true assessment of your team’s chances. That’s one of the problems of this board when it comes to PSU hoops, and rightfully so, since it is a PSUHoops board. We as a group tend to look at Battle, Buie and the boys and think they’ll have a solid year in the Big Ten without taking into account how strong the league is going to be this season…much stronger than it is in football, mind you. PSU could play lights out and beat the likes of Maryland, VaTech and Ole Miss in the OOC, but still wet the bed come conference play due to the incredible strength of the conference.

Back to the topic at hand…

I for one feel that PSU football need not be a “very good BCS team” to make some serious noise in the Big Ten this season. Just solid play on all three sides of the ball might just get the job done.

Oh and as for the SEC…Bama is head and shoulders above everyone in this conference, though Mallett and Lattimore give Arkansas and South Carolina respectively a tremendous jolt of energy and excitement.
Florida and LSU are where they are in the polls, because they are “Florida” and “LSU” and they are 3-0. Auburn is just OK.

[quote="Skeeza, post:6, topic:1357"]Something you football fans may not have noticed...

3 of PSU’s 4 OOC opponents are undefeated outside the PSU game.[/quote]

The one problem with your argument is in looking at the Big Ten. Honestly, who is better than PSU right now? Ohio State, without a doubt. Iowa, probably so. Wisconsin…jury is still out on them. Michigan State…they have chutzpah, I’ll give them that. Michigan, not for one minute(man) ;). Am I missing anyone else…NW (yippee, they won the Brain Bowl by winning at Vandy and Rice), Minnesota (did give USC a run, but lost to South Dakota Teachers College), Illinois, Indiana, Purdue…yuck, yuck and triple yuck.

The conference doesn’t look all that formidable once you get past the first three or four schools, so PSU doesn’t have to be a “very good BCS team” right now to be considered for a top three finish in the league.

You have to look at the competition to make a true assessment of your team’s chances. That’s one of the problems of this board when it comes to PSU hoops, and rightfully so, since it is a PSUHoops board. We as a group tend to look at Battle, Buie and the boys and think they’ll have a solid year in the Big Ten without taking into account how strong the league is going to be this season…much stronger than it is in football, mind you. PSU could play lights out and beat the likes of Maryland, VaTech and Ole Miss in the OOC, but still wet the bed come conference play due to the incredible strength of the conference.

Back to the topic at hand…

I for one feel that PSU football need not be a “very good BCS team” to make some serious noise in the Big Ten this season. Just solid play on all three sides of the ball might just get the job done.

Oh and as for the SEC…Bama is head and shoulders above everyone in this conference, though Mallett and Lattimore give Arkansas and South Carolina respectively a tremendous jolt of energy and excitement.
Florida and LSU are where they are in the polls, because they are “Florida” and “LSU” and they are 3-0. Auburn is just OK.

Yes, you have to look at the competition, and you must also look at the team itself.

Penn State football team is NOT A GOOD TEAM. They may develope into one, but you cannot count on them developing, you have to look at what is being put on the field.

74th in the nation in rushing and 75thin passing against Youngstown State and Kent State is not a good showing. This team has problems.

Michigan State and Northwestern look like good teams.

So often, people look at the name of the school and make a determination based on such. Right now, I think Penn State is the 6th best team in the BIG TEN, behind OSU, Wiscy, Iowa, Mich St, NWster,… and I don’t want to say it, but even Michigan is loooking at little better at this point.

Fair enough Skeeza…NW and MSU are decent.

But it’s hard to get a read on PSU in my mind. They haven’t played a team close to their ability. (Bama being a head and a shoulder above). Until they face Iowa, I’ll still say they have a shot at beating them.

BTW, would you say that PSU is “looking a little better at this point”, if they just escaped against an FCS team at home by five points.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:1357”]Fair enough Skeeza…NW and MSU are decent.

But it’s hard to get a read on PSU in my mind. They haven’t played a team close to their ability. (Bama being a head and a shoulder above). Until they face Iowa, I’ll still say they have a shot at beating them.

BTW, would you say that PSU is “looking a little better at this point”, if they just escaped against an FCS team at home by five points.[/quote]

Yeah, I was going to draw attention to that same comment.