OT: Penn State Women's Volleyball Wins 3d Straight NCAA Title 3-2

Huge, fantastic comeback for Penn State.

Here’s a link to gopsusports http://www.gopsusports.com/

And a link to dignittanyvolleyball http://www.dignittanyvolleyball.com/?p=4898

I’ve watched a lot of Volleyball, College Football, College Basketball, and anything in between and I would say that the match tonight was bar none in the Top 5 most exciting and dramatic college sporting event I have seen this year. I was beyond excited, and amazingly proud. The hardwork, determination, dedication, and passion those girls have shown day in and day out is what being a Penn Stater is all about and exactly why I am in love with that team.

Congrats to Russ and the team!

I agree with Ngameday… That was a great watch. It’s always a special thing whenyou get to competitors playing for a championship, and playing at their best. That’s what classics are made of. Things like Nadal/Federer at wimbledon… doesn’t always happen but by the 4th game both teams were absolutely just killing it, and that 5th game was something.

It was interesting how that PSU made a Rotation adjustment to start the 3rd set which got them the next 3 seats. Coach Rose did an adjustment like that for Hawai’i match to. Neither coach made any counter adjustments.

It was great to watch. But was anyone else frustrated with ESPN’s coverage? They seemed fascinated with that low-level end view where it was hard to see what was happening on the far side of the court. And then they’d show replays and shots of the coaches while the next point was being played.

I’d much rather just watch the match from the side view and save those end cameras for replays (which can be shown when there is a break in the action).

Now that it’s too late, can anyone explain the rotation and substitution rules for this sport? Can you leave your position? – For example, can Hodge be in the back row but simply come to the net for a kill?

I’m fairly certain the back row cannot touch the ball in front of the white line that splits one team’s side of the court.

But I am no volleyball fanatic/player so don’t hold me to my word.

I think what Rose did is change what position the players started at so they matched up better against who the players were hitting against.

I am pretty sure if your in a back row position you can’t attack at the net but I am a little hazy on the specific rules.

[quote=“eric17, post:8, topic:520”]I’m fairly certain the back row cannot touch the ball in front of the white line that splits one team’s side of the court.

But I am no volleyball fanatic/player so don’t hold me to my word.[/quote]

I think they can dig but not attack. Attack is a ball hit over the net if I remember correctly.

I saw Alyssa D’Errico in a short interview and discussion of her role as a libero. Below is a description of what one playing that position can do, and they stand out in that they have to wear different color jersey. Please memorize 1. A thru H. They’ll be a quiz at 5pm eastern. :wink:

http://www.volleyball.org/rules/libero.html

[quote="eric17, post:8, topic:520"]I'm fairly certain the back row cannot touch the ball in front of the white line that splits one team's side of the court.

But I am no volleyball fanatic/player so don’t hold me to my word.[/quote]

I think they can dig but not attack. Attack is a ball hit over the net if I remember correctly.

Close, they can bump it over underhand or two hand set it over. They can’t spike it overhand (or block it) from in front of the line. They can spike it, if they take off from behind the line (a play that is typical in men’s volleyball but only recently has become popular in women’s volleyball - Megan Hodge and Destinee Hooker being two of the first to use it regularly).

It’s being rebroadcast in five minutes on ESPNU. Also, again tonight at 10:00PM.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:5, topic:520"]It was interesting how that PSU made a Rotation adjustment to start the 3rd set which got them the next 3 seats. Coach Rose did an adjustment like that for Hawai'i match to. Neither coach made any counter adjustments.[/quote]

Now that it’s too late, can anyone explain the rotation and substitution rules for this sport? Can you leave your position? – For example, can Hodge be in the back row but simply come to the net for a kill?

You rotate clockwise after a sideout. You must stand in your correct relative position at the serve but can switch positions as soon as the ball is served. If your position at the start of the serve is in the back row, you can’t spike or block the ball at the net. Not counting the Libero (who can come and go any time he/she wants), you are allowed only 12 substitutions during a set (a set now being the preferred term for what used to be called a game). If you reenter the set after a substitution, you must reenter at the same position in the rotation.

The rules make for some interesting strategies. Most schools use what is called a 5-1 attack. One person on the court is the designated setter (Alisha Glass for PSU). But when she is in the front row, the team is at a disadvantage because only the other two front row players can spike the ball, therefore the team is limited in the number of offensive options that they have. When the setter is in the back row position she can set anyone of the three front row players.

In a perfect world, teams would use what is called a 6-2 attack. It requires a team to have two setters and for the set to always come from the back row, thus allowing the offensive team to ALWAYS have three options at their disposal. However, really good setters are a rarity and to run a 6-2 effectively, you need two so you don’t find the offense being run very often (Texas uses it and Penn State has tried it at times - most notably during Glass’s first two years when we also had Jessica Yanz - who later controversially transferred to Nebraska)

Re the libero, and the link to the rules, I’ve been watching the games, saw the D’Errico interview, and something wasn’t jiving. What it was, is that I thought I saw D’Errico serve while wearing the different color jersey. So, what’s up? Then I found this.

Furthermore, a libero is not allowed to serve, according to international rules, with the exception of the NCAA women’s volleyball games, where a 2004 rule change allows the libero to serve, but only in a specific rotation.

Yes, that will be on the quiz. :wink:

I guess you can say the NCAA has been somewhat liberated from the libero rule, and to PSU’s benefit. D’Errico is their best server.

Wow… watching the replay right now. The last 2 points of the 4th game were unbelievable.

Any one who watched this match will never again say that women’s sports are unwatchable.

I actually yet out a shout and fist pump at the end of that 4th game, it was intense to say the least. And I was in a room by myself watching, for that matter.

I’ve watched the girls win this thing now the last two years and I’m convinced it’s the only type of women’s sport I can watch and actually be genuinely entertained by. I was pulling hard for those girls last night. Was disappointed it wasn’t in HD though.

[quote="ronb89, post:16, topic:520"]Wow... watching the replay right now. The last 2 points of the 4th game were unbelievable.[/quote]

Any one who watched this match will never again say that women’s sports are unwatchable.

IIRC women’s vball is much more entertaining than men’s because each point lasts longer. The men hit it so darn hard there isn’t a lot of back and forth.

Men’s is pretty exciting I feel also. It’s something I really like watching during the Olympics, both the men and women… although the beach volleyball doesn’t do much for me, other than the women in bikinis (some of them don’t do much for me either… yikes).