PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Penn State Trivia

I was digging through some old newspapers today and came across the following trivial tidbit…

When did Penn State’s Blue Band become coed?

…and please, for those who look it up, let some of the others try and guess or remember before you ruin the parade.

I’m thinking in a window of time here. Not before 1976 and not after 1980. I’ll take a stab at 1977.
Now if by going co-ed would be measured by when they added the batton line it would be a little earlier. At least I think there were a couple or so seasons where they added the majorettes but before they put females in the instrument lines.

The date I found was for majorettes.

Been waiting for someone else to take a stab.
I am thinking the majorettes in either 1976 or 1977 and the line instruments 2 years later. So majorettes, I will go with 1976.
Question for Lar, didn’t the Tavern follow suit very shortly thereafter with their wait staff? So tavern wait staff would have been 1978 or 79.

I’ll just say the same year Title IX hit…1972.

Although upon further review, I think this might have been the date for adding women in the instrument lines…

Coed Blue Band Set
Pennsylvania Mirror - Saturday, September 22 1973
Annapolis - The 1973 version of the Penn State Marching Blue Band will make its debut at the Penn State-Navy game here Saturday afternoon.

Conducted by James W. Dunlop, the band will for the first time have women in the marching unit. Five women have been chosen through tryouts. There have been 12 majorettes and total personnel including the majorettes, flags, and alternates number 162.

The band will travel by bus to Annapolis, returning at 12:30 a.m. Sunday. They will hold a final rehearsal at Annapolis at 9 Saturday morning.

[quote=“Duff, post:4, topic:3335”]Been waiting for someone else to take a stab.
I am thinking the majorettes in either 1976 or 1977 and the line instruments 2 years later. So majorettes, I will go with 1976.
Question for Lar, didn’t the Tavern follow suit very shortly thereafter with their wait staff? So tavern wait staff would have been 1978 or 79.[/quote]

It was around that timeframe. I left town in 1977 and they didn’t have waitresses then, but they did by 1983.

It’s almost inconceivable to me that I was around for these changes. The things we old people have seen in our lifetimes are remarkable.