PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Penn State t-shirt sighting

Check out the shirt in the background

Yup. A Penn State wrestling shirt (and yes the girl is Emily Robison of the Dixie Chicks)

The guitarist is Martin Strayer. The group is the newly formed Court Yard Hounds which is basically two Dixie Chicks (Emily and her sister Martie Maguire) and a bunch of studio musicians, including Strayer, who co wrote most of the songs on their debut album. Strayer’s father is Marty Strayer, an All American wrestler at Penn State in the sixties, hence the shirt connection.

I can’t embed the video link here but it is up on Happy Valley Half Nelson

If you watch Deadliest Catch one of the crab boat Captains wears a Penn State hat. Never got his name to see if he’s a grad.

It’s one of those things that catches you off guard because we don’t get the kind of pub. that the USCs, OSUs and Texas’ of the world get on TV.

[quote=“byake, post:2, topic:1174”]If you watch Deadliest Catch one of the crab boat Captains wears a Penn State hat. Never got his name to see if he’s a grad.

It’s one of those things that catches you off guard because we don’t get the kind of pub. that the USCs, OSUs and Texas’ of the world get on TV.[/quote]

It’s Andy Hillstrand, Alaskan native that now owns a horse farm in Indiana. He’s a third generation fisherman, so he probably didn’t attend college.

I was in Vegas on the 16th, on the corner of Flamingo and Paradise.

Saw a Mexican kid/guy, probably around 24, taking a picture of the southern strip towards the Venetian. He was wearing a Penn State basketball jersey, number 3. I was so blown away that I would see a PSU Hoops jersey there that I was trying to get to my camera to take a picture of HIM. :o …true story

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1174”]Check out the shirt in the background

Yup. A Penn State wrestling shirt (and yes the girl is Emily Robison of the Dixie Chicks)

The guitarist is Martin Strayer. The group is the newly formed Court Yard Hounds which is basically two Dixie Chicks (Emily and her sister Martie Maguire) and a bunch of studio musicians, including Strayer, who co wrote most of the songs on their debut album. Strayer’s father is Marty Strayer, an All American wrestler at Penn State in the sixties, hence the shirt connection.

I can’t embed the video link here but it is up on Happy Valley Half Nelson[/quote]

Small world sometimes.

I was with a bunch of friends at the Nittany Lion Inn after the wrestling match on Sunday when I saw a friend of mine and former PSU wrestler, George Edwards, standing off to the side with a guy I didn’t recognize. I walk over to chat with George and he introduces me to his friend, Marty, saying “I used to wrestle here with his dad Marty Strayer”. I dropped a couple of compliments about how great it was to watch his dad and George wrestle at Rec Hall (Marty Sr was a two time EIWA champ and George never lost a bout at Rec Hall), then caught him off guard when I said “and I enjoy your music too”.

Marty asked how I knew about his music. I told him that I had spotted the PSU wrestling shirt in the Court Yard Hounds video and had posted it in my Happy Valley Half Nelson wrestling website. Strayer said he knew about the website because his manager had called him a couple of days after I posted the video and said that they were starting to get a lot of traffic from wrestling fans through the HVHN site. He then thanked me for embedding the video. That just seemed so backward to me. Here was this musician/artist, thanking me, a fan, for doing something trivial. It really helped point out the power of the internet to connect people.

Marty and George joined our little group and we got to talk about wrestling and music for probably 45 minutes. Turns out that Marty wrestled at Wilkes College and catches as many PSU meets as he can (even though he lives in Austin). He even dragged one of the Chicks/Hounds, Emily Robison, to a match a few weeks ago. I missed that match but I hear she made quite a splash.

Cool!

Lar Wilkes College has been Wilkes University for approximately 20 years. They get bitter when you still refer to it as Wilkes College. They are ok if you just refer to it as Wilkes.

Lar and I sometimes get caught referring to ourselves as Farmer’s High graduates.

I’m sure when Marty wrestled there, it was Wilkes College. :wink:

But thanks for letting me know so I don’t make that mistake in the future.

Another Penn State wrestling t-shirt sighting

I wandered over to the Court Yard Hounds website this afternoon only to discover that they were going to have a live streaming session this evening and were taking questions from their fans that they would answer during the session. So I left a question asking Emily about her wrestling match visit.

When I tuned in tonight, there was Marty with another wrestling shirt - and Emily did answer my question saying she had a great time seeing Penn State “pummel” Ohio State.

Link to a replay of the stream