PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Penn State F Hertzog drafted by New York Red Bulls

As a Red Bulls fan and Penn State alum, he’s officially my favorite player on the team. He’s going to be playing with Thierry Henry in a few months.

I’m a casual RBNY fan, so this is pretty cool. I never saw him play - hopefully I see him play many times in a RB uniform. Red Bulls also signed Matt Kassel - star at Bridgewater-Raritan (NJ), played against him in HS.

It’s a shame he’s not coming back for his senior season but with the way that his MLS contract is structured the decision to leave is almost a no-brainer.

[quote="BleedPSU, post:1, topic:1774"]As a Red Bulls fan and Penn State alum, he's officially my favorite player on the team. He's going to be playing with Thierry Henry in a few months.[/quote]

It’s a shame he’s not coming back for his senior season but with the way that his MLS contract is structured the decision to leave is almost a no-brainer.

No kidding.

“Hey, we’re going to give you money to play pro soccer. And if you aren’t any good, we’ll pay the rest of your tuition to get your degree”

Not a bad gig.

[quote="BleedPSU, post:1, topic:1774"]As a Red Bulls fan and Penn State alum, he's officially my favorite player on the team. He's going to be playing with Thierry Henry in a few months.[/quote]

No kidding.

“Hey, we’re going to give you money to play pro soccer. And if you aren’t any good, we’ll pay the rest of your tuition to get your degree”

Not a bad gig.

Plus it will be guaranteed money and likely about twice, maybe three times, as much as you would get if you wait another year. It’s almost impossible to say no.

I’m happy when any Penn State player in any sport gets drafted.

Red Bulls also drafted Wayne Rooney’s brother. I will say that Corey will be joining a club that is favorites for MLS Cup next year, and enjoys solid fan support in a top class stadium. It’s a great place for a kid to develop.

Zarek Valentin, a soph. defender at Akron, and from Manheim Township HS, was drafted #4 I believe. Saw him play in HS quite a few times.

As a Union supporter, this saddens me that a great Penn Stater got drafted by the New Jersey Pink Cows.

Bryan Meredith played at my high school and was drafted #29 by the Seattle Sounders:
Bryan Meredith

That clip has a lot of routine saves, but a bunch of good ones too. Really cool to know he will back-up/learn from Kasey Keller.

Apparently there are rumors swirling that Hertzog might be traded, possibly to Philly. Lets see if anything materializes…

Wouldn’t surprise me. I thought they had the territorial rights to him anyway and was a little taken back when his name showed up as a NY pick.

MLS said he didn’t qualify so he didn’t sign with the Union and entered the draft. The Union are run by a guy who may be the worst soccer brain in the country (Nick Sakiewicz) and he has been running clubs into the dirt since he was in the Metrostars front office. Thus, the Union decided to go with a keeper, Metros snatched up a quality Penn Stater and he will do good things for the club.

The Union suck anyway, so having him develop amongst superstars like Thierry Henry, Rafa Marquez and US National teamers like Tim Ream and Juan Agudelo is a much better situation for him to be in.

[quote="noobd, post:11, topic:1774"]Apparently there are rumors swirling that Hertzog might be traded, possibly to Philly. Lets see if anything materializes..[/quote]

Wouldn’t surprise me. I thought they had the territorial rights to him anyway and was a little taken back when his name showed up as a NY pick.

No, Union tried to sign Hertzog as a “homegrown” player, but MLS said he didn’t qualify. Which was a sensible decision, really – Union never had anything to do with his development. They tried to play off the fact that Hertzog played with Reading, with is affiliated with Union.

Anyhow, players in Hertzog’s situation (coming out of college, Generation Adidas contract) are always subject to the draft AFAIK. There’s no way Union or any other team could have signed him outside of it.

[quote="noobd, post:11, topic:1774"]Apparently there are rumors swirling that Hertzog might be traded, possibly to Philly. Lets see if anything materializes..[/quote]

No, Union tried to sign Hertzog as a “homegrown” player, but MLS said he didn’t qualify. Which was a sensible decision, really – Union never had anything to do with his development. They tried to play off the fact that Hertzog played with Reading, with is affiliated with Union.

Anyhow, players in Hertzog’s situation (coming out of college, Generation Adidas contract) are always subject to the draft AFAIK. There’s no way Union or any other team could have signed him outside of it.

not to hijack a thread, but… I think the “territorial rights” is what the WNBA needs to generate interest in it’s league. I think the NBA/WNBA are too proud to admit they need something like that.