PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: 'Paterno Field' at Beaver Stadium?

Penn State should name field after Paterno, Commentary By Cory Giger, altoonamirror.com

pennlive.com: Click the video to listen to Paterno’s thoughts on the possibility

Good answer by Joe! " I don’t know what it is like being dead."

This idea is not new. Heck , I think it has been talked about for about 25 years. Joe, in the past, was always stronger against it.

But, I think, it is a good idea. I think it wll happen. Maybe after he retires (if ever.) Or after he passes.

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:40”]Good answer by Joe! " I don’t know what it is like being dead."

This idea is not new. Heck , I think it has been talked about for about 25 years. Joe, in the past, was always stronger against it.

But, I think, it is a good idea. I think it wll happen. Maybe after he retires (if ever.) Or after he passes. [/quote]

In the 70s. a friend of mine wrote an April Fool’s day story for the now long defunct PA Mirror which had Beaver Stadium being renamed the Paterno Pavilion. People have been talking about it for real since then and that was thirty five years ago,

Maybe someday they’ll build new press boxes and name it the Paterno Pressbox. ;D

I think that eventually the stadium will be named after Joe. He has done way too much for the program and the University to let that opportunity pass.

The way that Joe feels about the press he would probably haunt the place and all the computers would be broke. :wink:

Isn’t there a plan for the press box they just don’t have a time table for when they’re going to do it? IIRC they want to redo the press box and pull it back so that it’s even with the stands on the east side.

All they’re waiting on is probably $150 million to pay for it all.

The best suggestion that I’ve heard yet came from a guy on BWI who said that Paterno has done so much for this community that State College ought to rename itself Joe, PA.

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:40"]I think that eventually the stadium will be named after Joe. He has done way too much for the program and the University to let that opportunity pass.[/quote]

The best suggestion that I’ve heard yet came from a guy on BWI who said that Paterno has done so much for this community that State College ought to rename itself Joe, PA.

Or maybe just rename University Park, Pa to Joe, Pa?

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:40"]I think that eventually the stadium will be named after Joe. He has done way too much for the program and the University to let that opportunity pass.[/quote]

Ha, that would be cool.

Ha, that would be cool.

A town in Montana already beat them to it, but I love the idea.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/20798

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:12, topic:40”]A town in Montana already beat them to it, but I love the idea.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/20798[/quote]

Yeah but even those in Joe, MT would realize that Joe, PA (JoePa), is a more cool name.

[quote=“psuphiman80, post:7, topic:40”]Isn’t there a plan for the press box they just don’t have a time table for when they’re going to do it? IIRC they want to redo the press box and pull it back so that it’s even with the stands on the east side.[/quote]Yes, it is definitely on the agenda. I still remember the TV announcers discussing the millions of dollars PSU spent on the then brand new East luxury boxes and estimating that PSU spent $20 repainting the West press boxes.

I still say that naming the wing of the library is the most fitting trubute to what Joe stands for, and there’s noting they could do at the stadium that would be as fitting as what was done with the Library.

Of course, I love the idea of Joe, PA. Maybe they could pull some strings with the post office to designate a special zip code just for the block the stadium is on so that they can re-name that little peice of ground…

Beaver Staduim
1 University Drive
Joe, PA 12345

[quote=“MarkH, post:15, topic:40”]I still say that naming the wing of the library is the most fitting trubute to what Joe stands for, and there’s noting they could do at the stadium that would be as fitting as what was done with the Library.

Of course, I love the idea of Joe, PA. Maybe they could pull some strings with the post office to designate a special zip code just for the block the stadium is on so that they can re-name that little peice of ground…

Beaver Staduim
1 University Drive
Joe, PA 12345[/quote]

True, but I think the stadium should have his name on it as well. When ESPN, ABC, etc. are in U. Park on Saturday mornings/afternoons, they talk about Beaver Stadium, not the Paterno Library. Paterno deserves that recognition (not that he wants it).

If it is true that Joe doesn’t like the idea, they ought to respect that, and get it in writing so PSU doesn’t keep having to answer the question after Joe finally retires in the year 2525.

Ever since I first hit campus in 1990, there have been three persistent rumors…

1. Paterno is going to retire

2. They’re going to turn Beam back into a dorm

3. They’re going to build/plant an Arboretum some day

two out of three in the same semester.

[quote=“MarkH, post:15, topic:40”]I still say that naming the wing of the library is the most fitting trubute to what Joe stands for, and there’s noting they could do at the stadium that would be as fitting as what was done with the Library.

Beaver Staduim
1 University Drive
Joe, PA 12345
ForumLinkBuilding
it repair[/quote]

Agree, a number of schools have their field and or stadims named after their football coaches. I have always liked the fact that we are the only one who had their
Library named after their football coach, who believed that a great University needed a great library.

[quote="MarkH, post:15, topic:40"]I still say that naming the wing of the library is the most fitting trubute to what Joe stands for, and there's noting they could do at the stadium that would be as fitting as what was done with the Library.

Beaver Staduim
1 University Drive
Joe, PA 12345[/quote]

Agree, a number of schools have their field and or stadims named after their football coaches. I have always liked the fact that we are the only one who had their
Library named after their football coach, who believed that a great University needed a great library.

Ditto Duff…though I do like the “Joe, PA” idea.

BTW Duff, are you floating away with all this rain in the ATL. I’ve got my canoe loaded and ready to go.

[quote=“Duff, post:18, topic:40”]Agree, a number of schools have their field and or stadims named after their football coaches. I have always liked the fact that we are the only one who had their
Library named after their football coach, who believed that a great University needed a great library.[/quote]

I would be negligent in my library employee duties if I didn’t remind people that a library, not the library is named after Paterno. The Fred Lewis Pattee Library is still alive and well. Although why the Paterno Family Humanities Reading Room is located in the Pattee Library, not the Paterno Library is beyond me.