PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - OSU vs Texas A&M end of game

Did anybody see the end of the OSU vs Texas A&M game. A&M was down 3 and OSU ran the ball out of the end zone taking a safety. Why didn’t OSU have to kick the ball to A&M as an untimed play?

All OSU would have had to do is punt it out of bounds on the ensuing kick.

I saw it.

I don’t know the rules well enough to say if a kickoff was to be awarded or not. The play didn’t come out of the blue so I’m assuming the refs made the right call (stupid to say, considering the Syracuse-Toledo game) as it was clear what was going to happen a few plays away.

Why would there be an untimed kickoff? It’s a legal play and the clock ran out. The only untimed plays are following penalties. There was no penalty. Therefore, no untimed play.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a legal play, but part of a safety is that the team has to kickoff to the opposing team from the 20. I know it is a slim margin but strange things could happen. And I don’t think they could just kick it out of bounds since it is a kickoff even though the kicking team has the option of using a team or a drop kick/punt. Just thought that it may have been an officiating mistake, but then again nobody complained.

Why would there be an untimed kickoff? It's a legal play and the clock ran out. The only untimed plays are following penalties. There was no penalty. Therefore, no untimed play.

I’m not saying it wasn’t a legal play, but part of a safety is that the team has to kickoff to the opposing team from the 20. I know it is a slim margin but strange things could happen. And I don’t think they could just kick it out of bounds since it is a kickoff even though the kicking team has the option of using a team or a drop kick/punt. Just thought that it may have been an officiating mistake, but then again nobody complained.

It wasn’t an officiating mistake and “part of a safety” is not the following free kick. That’s like saying “part of a touchdown” is the following kickoff. If a team scored the go ahead touchdown on the last play of the game, would they be required to kick the ball off again because “part of a touchdown” is the following kickoff? I don’t think so. The kickoff isn’t part of a touchdown, it’s just the next play. Likewise a free kick isn’t part of a safety, it’s just the next play.

Also, part of your confusion might be because these days a safety often occurs because of something a defense does, so you’re viewing it as a defensive play. But the safety was originally put into the rule book as an option for the offense. It gives them a “safe” option (hence the name) with less risk than punting the ball on fourth down.

I started to type this exact same thing and gave up! (One of the benefits of reduced ability to type is that I can exercise better judgment with all the time it takes me to generate a post. You said this better than I did, so once again discretion is the better part …!)

[quote="UncleLar, post:6, topic:2690"]That's like saying "part of a touchdown" is the following kickoff. If a team scored the go ahead touchdown on the last play of the game, would they be required to kick the ball off again because "part of a touchdown" is the following kickoff? I don't think so. The kickoff isn't part of a touchdown, it's just the next play. Likewise a free kick isn't part of a safety, it's just the next play.[/quote]

I started to type this exact same thing and gave up! (One of the benefits of reduced ability to type is that I can exercise better judgment with all the time it takes me to generate a post. You said this better than I did, so once again discretion is the better part …!)

Hmm. Are you insinuating, that my post was an exercise in poor judgment? :wink:

[quote="UncleLar, post:6, topic:2690"]That's like saying "part of a touchdown" is the following kickoff. If a team scored the go ahead touchdown on the last play of the game, would they be required to kick the ball off again because "part of a touchdown" is the following kickoff? I don't think so. The kickoff isn't part of a touchdown, it's just the next play. Likewise a free kick isn't part of a safety, it's just the next play.[/quote]

Hmm. Are you insinuating, that my post was an exercise in poor judgment? :wink:

No, read the next line! I stepped aside for someone who could do it better!

[quote="mjg, post:4, topic:2690"]Why would there be an untimed kickoff? It's a legal play and the clock ran out. The only untimed plays are following penalties. There was no penalty. Therefore, no untimed play.[/quote]

It wasn’t an officiating mistake and “part of a safety” is not the following free kick. That’s like saying “part of a touchdown” is the following kickoff. If a team scored the go ahead touchdown on the last play of the game, would they be required to kick the ball off again because “part of a touchdown” is the following kickoff? I don’t think so. The kickoff isn’t part of a touchdown, it’s just the next play. Likewise a free kick isn’t part of a safety, it’s just the next play.

Also, part of your confusion might be because these days a safety often occurs because of something a defense does, so you’re viewing it as a defensive play. But the safety was originally put into the rule book as an option for the offense. It gives them a “safe” option (hence the name) with less risk than punting the ball on fourth down.

I think jjepsu92’s real confusion is the untimed extra point that can come when you score a touchdown with on time left on the clock.

The untimed extra point is gone now, too, right? That is unless that point can tie or take the lead. Or is that NFL?

[quote="mjg, post:4, topic:2690"]Why would there be an untimed kickoff? It's a legal play and the clock ran out. The only untimed plays are following penalties. There was no penalty. Therefore, no untimed play.[/quote]

I think jjepsu92’s real confusion is the untimed extra point that can come when you score a touchdown with on time left on the clock.

Good point.

LATE EDIT: I actually read this wrong. What I thought you were saying was an extra point is untimed because no time is run off the clock. I didn’t read it as no time left on the clock. As Tom pointed out, that doesn’t happen at the end of the game unless the extra point(s) is for the win or tie.

It’s gone in college.

Appreciate the clarification guys. I guess the best example is the extra point attached to the TD. But I was under the false impression, I guess, that when a team takes the safety they must kick it back to the other team by way of a kickoff or punt.

You do have to kick it back…just only when there’s time left on the clock :slight_smile:

[quote="Tom, post:11, topic:2690"]The untimed extra point is gone now, too, right? That is unless that point can tie or take the lead. Or is that NFL?[/quote]

It’s gone in college.

What about at the end of the first half?

The untimed extra point is a sop to Vegas, isn’t it?

Appreciate the clarification guys. I guess the best example is the extra point attached to the TD. But I was under the false impression, I guess, that when a team takes the safety they must kick it back to the other team by way of a kickoff or punt.

You do have to kick it back…just only when there’s time left on the clock :slight_smile:

Just like when you score a touchdown, you have to kick it back then too. :wink:

I did forget about untimed extra points / two point conversions. But those are always untimed. I was specifically talking about untimed “plays” that are not extra points. Lar’s explanation works for me.

Maybe to jog some memories(and a reminder that there was no subsequent free kick), taking a safety on the game’s final play is exactly how Penn State’s famed goal line stand game at Indiana in 2004 ended.

The punt team came in on fourth down and Jeremy Kapinos waited until all zeroes were on the clock before backing out of the end zone. Then, 4,000 of the 20,000 people at the game rejoiced. Oh…the “dark years”.