OT: NW vs. Minny

Anybody watching this game? We’re going to have our hands full with NW.

This game is incredible. 18 seconds left 57-57, NW with the ball.

OT

NW, down by 10 with less than 10 minutes left, went on 16-7 run. Missing 3’s, they started to go inside. A backscreen for Thompson led to a layup, an isolation on one side led to a Crawford drive and layup. Tubby was outcoached big time down the stretch. Not over though

NW by 3 in OT. Great coaching by NW. Unlike us, they pressed Minny, and Minny got sloppy with the ball in key stretch in late regulation. Two or three TO’s, one leading to a runout, got fans crazy. As PSU guards are quicker than NW’s, maybe we should try that vs. teams like Minny. Minny’s athletic, but the backcourt handles, esp without Nolen, looked pretty shaky under pressure. It won NW the game, in addition to their varied play. Lots of layups, followed by 3’s. Minny must be dizzy as they were winning easily, up by 13 in the second half.

IMO, Shurna’s first team all Big 10 ahead of Hummel. Hummel might be tougher physically, but Shurna’s got better inside footwork. He is going to so school our bigs this week, and Mirkovic is going to be a handful as well. Battle could carry us, and pressing them may work as they have nobody as quick as our two quickest guards. If we rebound well and get transition points we may have a shot, but their halfcourt game, wow. They schooled Minny. Tubby’s got to be speechlesss, as they had the game in hand. Minny’s out of the tourney with losses to them and Michigan at home. Compared to NW, Minny looked disorganized and desperate.

I’m mad I missed this game…

Just tremendous disciplined play by Northwestern. Imagine-an offensive & defensive plan!!! Their athletes are not as good as Minny, but they just have a determined way of playing. They could have folded when they got behind late in the game, but it just isn’t their nature. Carmody should be Coach of the Year, but he probably won’t even get considered. I still think we might have a shot at them at home. They play a bit stiff on the road in some of their games. Get ready to storm the floor for our B10 win. Eric 17-warning-do not hurt Talor.

Sloppy and Minne go hand in hand. They are so ingrained about “playing fast” they end up "playing foolish."
Tubby may be lovable but he sure is doing a lousy coaching job this season.

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:842”]Anybody watching this game? We’re going to have our hands full with NW.[/quote]I think we probably will have our hands full with just about everyone from here on out :-\

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:842"]Anybody watching this game? We're going to have our hands full with NW.[/quote]I think we probably will have our hands full with just about everyone from here on out :-\

What scares me about this upcoming game, is if we lose, it can’t be the athletes/players. NW beat a more athletic team yesterday. That’s nothing but coaching. To me, a good coach is one who has his team beat teams they shouldn’t beat. NW beat Purdue and Illinois, all without Coble. It’s their offense, not their players.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:842"]Anybody watching this game? We're going to have our hands full with NW.[/quote]I think we probably will have our hands full with just about everyone from here on out :-\

What scares me about this upcoming game, is if we lose, it can’t be the athletes/players. NW beat a more athletic team yesterday. That’s nothing but coaching. To me, a good coach is one who has his team beat teams they shouldn’t beat. NW beat Purdue and Illinois, all without Coble. It’s their offense, not their players.

Problem is it can be the players. We might have better “athletes” but doesn’t mean we have better basketball players on out roster.

Problem is it can be the players. We might have better “athletes” but doesn’t mean we have better basketball players on out roster.

Very true, but I just don’t think all this can be blamed on the players. Look at the difference between the HS accolades for Mirkovic and Borovnjak. Yes, Luka was offered by both Louisville and Marquette, but both were rated 3 stars by rivals(scout had Luka a 2 star and Shurna a 1 star, so they’re out in left field). espn hadn’t even seen Luka, giving him a 40. They gave Sasa an 86. If you look at the personal, his brother’s played 5 years on one of the best teams in the world, beating the USA team, which was loaded with talent.

[i]HIGH SCHOOL
Borovnjak earned first-team All-Western North Carolina honors in his senior season at Veritas Christian Academy…Led western North Carolina in scoring and was fourth among all public and private school players in the state posting 26.1 ppg…Added 12.0 rebounds per game for a Veritas team that went 20-18 and finished sixth in the National Association of Christian Athlete’s Division I National Championship…Veritas spent four weeks in ESPN’s Top 50 prep program rankings during the year and played a national schedule that took them as far as the Bahamas and to 16 states…Borovnjak played two seasons at Veritas where he played with current Memphis guard Doneal Mack and Clemson center Catalin Baciu…Posted 33 points and 14 rebounds against perennial national power Oak Hill Academy, a 41-point outing vs. Queens Grant and 27 points vs. Mt. Zion as a senior…Averaged 18 ppg and 12 rpg as a junior and was named the Offensive MVP of the NACA Division I National Championship…Listed as a three star recruit by Scout.com.

PERSONAL
Born on July 30, 1989 in Knin, Croatia…The son of Zoran and Jasmenka Borovnjak, both of whom are economists…His older brother, Dejan, is a 6-10 forward who has played five years of professional basketball in Europe…He averaged 12.2 ppg and 6.8 rpg playing for Vojvodina Srbijagas in the Adriatic League in 2008-09…Raised in Belgrade, Serbia until moving to U.S. for two seasons of prep basketball before coming to Penn State.

Luka Mirkovic
High School: Rated as the fourth-best collegiate prospect in the state of Indiana by Hoops Indiana … Averaged 25 points and 15 rebounds per game at La Lumiere … First-team all-area selection of The News-Dispatch … Season high in scoring was 37 points … Team captain … Scored a game-high 24 points and added 10 rebounds and three blocked shots in The News-Dispatch charity all-star game … Honor roll student … High school coach was Delray Brooks. [/i]

Check out these highlights of the game. Look at the skilled footwork by Shurna, and the many layups and in the paint buckets. I wished they showed the backscreen. It was sweet. Down 13 with 8:01 and they pull it off. Impressive.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/videos/index.asp?autostart=true&bcpid=60234638001&bctid=66531833001