PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Northwestern - Mount St. Mary's

Northwestern is up by 30 on MSM with 3 minutes to play. Penn State won by 4.

:-\

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1686”]Northwestern is up by 30 on MSM with 3 minutes to play. Penn State won by 4.

:-[/quote]

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Sounds like MSM’s shots just aren’t falling.

[quote="noobd, post:1, topic:1686"]Northwestern is up by 30 on MSM with 3 minutes to play. Penn State won by 4.

:-[/quote]

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Sounds like MSM’s shots just aren’t falling.

Plus MSM’s coach can have a post game interview and say-

1. we seemed to lack energy and a sense of urgency

2. we didn’t shoot well

3. we didn’t defend well on the perimeter

4. Our rebounding was weak

5. Nw just couldn’t miss and we need to give them credit

6. We need to be more consistent and have more than one player contribute each night and cut down on our turnovers

Northwestern hasn’t really been tested besides St. John’s, Creighton and Georgia Tech. However, I’m still excited to see how they do this season. It’ll be nice to see them pull off 8 or 9 wins and sneak into the Dance. The OOC will hurt them, much like it did for Penn State in 08-09.

Seems like they have a nice core of Shurna, Thompson, Crawford and Mirkovic. Imagine if they had Coble? Assuming he didn’t bring any baggage. Only one of those 4 players is a Senior.

MSM was “unlucky.”

I love how you children attempt to use the transitive property all the time.

Here, I’ll play too.

Illinois lost to UIC… and the Flames lost to Northern Illinois in the game preceding that one. So i guess that makes NIU the best team in Illinois, right? Why aren’t they ranked?

The realization that Penn State will struggle against Northwestern hurts, doesn’t it?

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1686"]I love how you children attempt to use the transitive property all the time.[/quote]

The realization that Penn State will struggle against Northwestern hurts, doesn’t it?

Yes, I’m sure the powerhouse NW squad will just run us out of the gym. We stand no chance against them or anyone else in this league, might as well just forfeit them all now and save the university the embarrassment.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1686"]I love how you children attempt to use the transitive property all the time.[/quote]

Yes, I’m sure the powerhouse NW squad will just run us out of the gym. We stand no chance against them or anyone else in this league, might as well just forfeit them all now and save the university the embarrassment.

That actually isn’t a bad idea. It will be better for everyone’s blood pressure and save everyone from finding new creative excuses for this mess.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1686”]I love how you children attempt to use the transitive property all the time.

Here, I’ll play too.

Illinois lost to UIC… and the Flames lost to Northern Illinois in the game preceding that one. So i guess that makes NIU the best team in Illinois, right? Why aren’t they ranked? [/quote]

Gees guys, judging a team by their own results and the results of their opponents? That’s crazy talk. I sure am glad that the NCAA doesn’t use that kind of voodoo in their selection process. ::slight_smile:

I think most of the teams in the BIG TEN will “struggle” against NWstern.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1686"]I love how you children attempt to use the transitive property all the time.

Here, I’ll play too.

Illinois lost to UIC… and the Flames lost to Northern Illinois in the game preceding that one. So i guess that makes NIU the best team in Illinois, right? Why aren’t they ranked?[/quote]

Gees guys, judging a team by their own results and the results of their opponents? That’s crazy talk. I sure am glad that the NCAA doesn’t use that kind of voodoo in their selection process. ::slight_smile:

The NCAA judges a team based on the ENTIRETY of its results and the ENTIRETY of its opponents’ results. It doesn’t play the silly head-to-head transitive game.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:6, topic:1686"]I love how you children attempt to use the transitive property all the time.

Here, I’ll play too.

Illinois lost to UIC… and the Flames lost to Northern Illinois in the game preceding that one. So i guess that makes NIU the best team in Illinois, right? Why aren’t they ranked?[/quote]

The NCAA judges a team based on the ENTIRETY of its results and the ENTIRETY of its opponents’ results. It doesn’t play the silly head-to-head transitive game.

True. Then how about we play the simple head to head game to judge this team? Maine. I know. That was just 1 game. How many games do you need? Apparently more
than 8 years worth.

Watching some of the Northwestern - MSM game right now. NW passes really well and shoots the ball well from deep. Their team stats so far back that up:

-40% from 3PT
-4th in nation in assists
-49% overall FG

Granted they haven’t played the toughest of competition, it looks like they have the offensive foundation in place that will lead to success. They appear to be weak in the athletic department and down low. Any team that is really going to bang down low as well as play a transition game would probably have success against Northwestern.

I didn’t see their game against St. John’s (wasn’t on TV), but check the box score out for the forwards of St. John’s:
FORWARD Brownlee - 21 pts 6 boards (avg = 14 and 4)
FORWARD Kennedy - 13 pts (avg = 12)
FORWARD Polee - 10 pts 4 boards (avg = 5)
FORWARD Burrell - 17 pts 9 boards (avg = 5)

Those four forwards shot a combined 62%FG from the field.

Looks like Brooks and Jones need to be worked into a game plan in these games and ED needs to live up to that “running team” pre-season statement if Penn State is going to win. NW just looks too good in a half court, fundamental type game.

Here, I’ll play too.

You got nerve saying this. After you gave me s*** on the Maine v. Maryland game meaning nothing when it came to Maine v PSU, you’d think you’d have a little humility. kenpom completely blew the Maryland v PSU game and Maine v PSU. On the entirety of its results? BS. Minny beat Louisville two years ago, and despite losing their last 6 conference games they beat PSU out for the tourney. You might want to look at your response to my pregame post of the Maine game. Then again, you think Red Auerbach would agree with you.

Northwestern hasn’t played anybody and they still can’t guard anybody.

This might be the year they get us though and I have no doubt they’ll finish better than us in the league.

Here, I’ll play too.

You got nerve saying this. After you gave me s*** on the Maine v. Maryland game meaning nothing when it came to Maine v PSU, you’d think you’d have a little humility. kenpom completely blew the Maryland v PSU game and Maine v PSU. On the entirety of its results? BS. Minny beat Louisville two years ago, and despite losing their last 6 conference games they beat PSU out for the tourney. You might want to look at your response to my pregame post of the Maine game. Then again, you think Red Auerbach would agree with you.

Hewey’s remark alluded to the selection committee’s use of RPI which is based on a team’s results and their opponents’ results The statement that I made was about the RPI using the entirety of the season is 100% accurate and has absolutely nothing to do with the Maine/PSU game. It’s a FACTUAL statement that you can’t debate and thus takes very little nerve for me to make.

Here, I’ll play too.

One game does not a season make.

As long as we are gloating at past successes, maybe you should go back and look at the season long Eyeballs vs Geeks competition.

Here, I’ll play too.

One game does not a season make.

As long as we are gloating at past successes, maybe you should go back and look at the season long Eyeballs vs Geeks competition.

Keep harping on the past. Lots of us were taking shots in that contest, not wanting to take the odds on favorite. Too boring taking the favorite all the time, so not a real contest in that sense. Stay in the present. It works better. kenpom completely blew the PSU Maryland and Maine games. Anyone who had Maryland an underdog was out in left field, and blinded by useless stats. While everyone probably would have had Maine as underdog, there were real concerns, which I addressed, that made this game a lot closer than 93% for PSU. kenpom’s pick of the MD as close was dead wrong, Maine as a lock for PSU dead wrong also. Joe Lunardi, after the Ole Miss game, said PSU was exposed. He was right. kempom wasn’t paying attention. Unless the offense changes, and we stop relying almost solely on perimeter shots and/or dribble drives by Talor, it’s going to be like last year. Ed’s over his head, with almost no adjustments for what ails this team, and there’s not a stat for that. Going to Marshall and other non-starters late in a desperation move doesn’t qualify as an adjustment. kenpom doesn’t see that, as it’s not a stat.