PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Nice wrap of Joe's annual morning after PC

Joe talks up Bradley. I’ll be a Pitt fan, too, if they hire him. Scrap was a grad assistant when I got to Penn State and he was kind of a legend already. He seems like a good guy but he doesn’t seem like a choir boy either, which is not a bad thing for a football coach. Plus he’s from my Mom’s hometown, Johnstown, although Mom, like the Hostetler boys, went to Conemaugh Township. :slight_smile:

Altoona Mirror

Meanwhile, Rob Bolden is transferring

Can’t blame Bolden. Would make sense why he didn’t play if he decided before the bowl game.

I very much disagree if this was a purely football decision. The way that many of these recruits feel, you’d think that rosters should only have 22 players. It’s certainly possible that he’s homesick or doesn’t really like PSU that much, and if that’s the case then you certainly can’t blame him. But if it’s because he didn’t get enough PT his freshman year, then I say good riddence.

Bummer about Bolden, he looks like he is going to be good.

If Bradley goes, interesting to see who goes with him. Would hate to lose Vanderlinden and L.J. Plus, a big turnove would be tough on the old man. Interesting thing to watch will be if the loyalty Joe has shown them would mean anything in that situation. Not sure it should, but it would sure make for an interesting offseason.

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:1716"]Can't blame Bolden.[/quote]

I very much disagree if this was a purely football decision. The way that many of these recruits feel, you’d think that rosters should only have 22 players. It’s certainly possible that he’s homesick or doesn’t really like PSU that much, and if that’s the case then you certainly can’t blame him. But if it’s because he didn’t get enough PT his freshman year, then I say good riddence.

You have to see this from the kids eyes. First true freshman ever to start a season. Loses job due to injury. McGloin has a bad game as OSU and Bolden is never seen again, even after a 5 INT performance in the Bowl.

When Bolden came in I heard he was a running QB who could throw, but I never remember Bolden running. It was kind of like he was told not to run.

Like his father said he wasn’t coached very well after he lost the job.

I refuse to acknowledge that Western Pennsylvania University, and if Bradley goes there, I’ll do the same to him.

Bolden transferring makes me feel odd. I don’t know how to respond to it. He wasn’t very good, and while the potential was there, I think he saw McGloin was the better of the two (at least right now), and Paul Jones was tearing it up on the Practice squad (from what I read). So maybe Bolden figured it would be a two horse race next season, and he didn’t want to be the odd man out.

Still I feel like Bolden is quitting on a university just because he didn’t get to play in a bowl game. :’(

Bolden got robbed ever since his injury. Even more frustrating to find out he was cleared for the Michigan game. I thought there was a ‘you don’t lose your job to injury’ policy, or am I mistaken?

I was impressed by McGloin for about all of 30 minutes at Columbus. That clearly was shown to be a fluke. Everybody else he excelled against was garbage.

[quote=“rwd5035, post:7, topic:1716”]I refuse to acknowledge that Western Pennsylvania University, and if Bradley goes there, I’ll do the same to him.

Bolden transferring makes me feel odd. I don’t know how to respond to it. He wasn’t very good, and while the potential was there, I think he saw McGloin was the better of the two (at least right now), and Paul Jones was tearing it up on the Practice squad (from what I read). So maybe Bolden figured it would be a two horse race next season, and he didn’t want to be the odd man out.
Still I feel like Bolden is quitting on a university just because he didn’t get to play in a bowl game. :’([/quote]
Not a Pitt fan, but if someone I knew and or respected goes there, I would hardly treat them the way you state you would. Whatever.
It would be pretty hard to hard to watch a walk on go 1 and 3 down the stretch while you litterally got 2 offensive possesions in your only start after you lost your job to an injury.
We just lost the best QB recruit we have had in the past 20 years. We were not a real good football team this year and to say he (Bolden) wasn’t very good is not seeing past a few feet in front of you.
Like his father said, he was never provided the opportunity to learn from his experience and play through his ups and downs. Banishing him to the bench for the entire season just never made any sense, but that is how he was handled.

I refuse to acknowledge that Western Pennsylvania University, and if Bradley goes there, I'll do the same to him.

Still I feel like Bolden is quitting on a university just because he didn’t get to play in a bowl game. :’(

Not a Pitt fan, but if someone I knew and or respected goes there, I would hardly treat them the way you state you would. Whatever.
It would be pretty hard to hard to watch a walk on go 1 and 3 down the stretch while you litterally got 2 offensive possesions in your only start after you lost your job to an injury.
We just lost the best QB recruit we have had in the past 20 years. We were not a real good football team this year and to say he (Bolden) wasn’t very good is not seeing past a few feet in front of you.
Like his father said, he was never provided the opportunity to learn from his experience and play through his ups and downs. Banishing him to the bench for the entire season just never made any sense, but that is how he was handled.

I agree with Duff, he was handled poorly and unfortunately in this day and age, kids, or in many cases as in this one, parents will change their mind with the direction of the wind.

Not being close to the situation, one can only speculate of course. But if I was a coach at the college level, I would make sure that a prized recruit of mine were at least kept happy. If that’s devising an offense that uses both McG and Bolden, then so be it.

It’s not like the olden days, when Joe was 60 or 70 :D, when even top QB’s would wait their turn here at Happy Valley. Like it or not, these top recruits need to be pampered every step of the way or you will risk losing them. Is that all bad in this case, I nor most people on this or any other message board can answer that.

But what I do know is that people really do need to get lives. Have you seen it over at the FOS board tonight? Three words…PA-THE-TIC (or should that be four words…JOE-PA-THE-TIC ;D)

As much as I like Bradley I don’t think he will he hired at ~itt. Also, Joe’s endorsement would not mean beans to the ~itters!
Their are many other fishes in the coaching sea who will jump into ~itt’s net for a million a year!

[quote=“tundra, post:11, topic:1716”]As much as I like Bradley I don’t think he will he hired at ~itt. Also, Joe’s endorsement would not mean beans to the ~itters!
Their are many other fishes in the coaching sea who will jump into ~itt’s net for a million a year![/quote]

Desperation is an interesting thing though

As much as I like Bradley I don't think he will he hired at ~itt. Also, Joe's endorsement would not mean beans to the ~itters! Their are many other fishes in the coaching sea who will jump into ~itt's net for a million a year!

Desperation is an interesting thing though

Good point Tom. The ~itt situation is indeed a MESS. BUT, the MESS will be resolved in a couple of weeks. ~itt will have a new HC and a new staff. Yes, recruiting will take a hit this year (short term) BUT than just gives the new staff more scholorships for next year. I fear, ~itt, will maintain it’s present football status.

As for PSU…well…The PSU situation is also a MESS…BUT there is NO resolution in sight. No way, PSU maintains it’s present football status. PSU is on a downward fast track.

I didn’t think he lost the job due to injury, he lost it by being outplayed. At no point up until the Bowl game did I ever think that Bolden was doing a better job moving the offense than McGloin. I’m so sick of hearing how they wouldn’t even replace McGloin after 5 INTs against Florida, since it isn’t reality. The truth is they wouldn’t replace him after 3 INTS (and if I recall correctly, we still had the lead at that point). We certainly still had a good shot to win until the 4th pick, and the 5th was meaningless.

I guess I’m unlike a lot of fans in that I don’t get enamored by star ratings. It’s like because Bolden was a 4 star and McGloin was a walk-on, we should somehow treat it all differently and make sure we’re doing whatever is necessary to keep the 4 star player happy. I completely disagree. If the roles were reversed and McGloin won the job in the spring but then got beat out, you wouldn’t have anyone wanting to make sure that McGloin still got some PT to keep him happy so he doesn’t transfer. Bolden still has 3 years left and would have had a great shot at winning the starting job as a sophmore. If that isn’t enough for him, then from a football perspective I don’t want him on my team.

What’s often overlooked in the McGloin vs. Bolden debate is how the running game improved in the 2nd half of the season.

Did the running game improve because of McGloin’s success? Or was it easier for McGloin (or any QB) to do better because he had a running game helping him out?

[quote="jjepsu92, post:6, topic:1716"]You have to see this from the kids eyes. First true freshman ever to start a season. Loses job due to injury. McGloin has a bad game as OSU and Bolden is never seen again, even after a 5 INT performance in the Bowl.[/quote]

I didn’t think he lost the job due to injury, he lost it by being outplayed. At no point up until the Bowl game did I ever think that Bolden was doing a better job moving the offense than McGloin. I’m so sick of hearing how they wouldn’t even replace McGloin after 5 INTs against Florida, since it isn’t reality. The truth is they wouldn’t replace him after 3 INTS (and if I recall correctly, we still had the lead at that point). We certainly still had a good shot to win until the 4th pick, and the 5th was meaningless.

I guess I’m unlike a lot of fans in that I don’t get enamored by star ratings. It’s like because Bolden was a 4 star and McGloin was a walk-on, we should somehow treat it all differently and make sure we’re doing whatever is necessary to keep the 4 star player happy. I completely disagree. If the roles were reversed and McGloin won the job in the spring but then got beat out, you wouldn’t have anyone wanting to make sure that McGloin still got some PT to keep him happy so he doesn’t transfer. Bolden still has 3 years left and would have had a great shot at winning the starting job as a sophmore. If that isn’t enough for him, then from a football perspective I don’t want him on my team.

Good points frats…

But let’s keep in mind that successful Division 1 football programs are not built and maintained by walk-ons. For the record, I like McGloin and wouldn’t mind seeing him continue to succeed at PSU as their starting QB. But this Bolden transfer affects PSU down the recruiting trail when another prized QB or any top player for that matter comes down that path. They will see how the Bolden situation was handled (right or wrong) and shy away from PSU.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:16, topic:1716”]Good points frats…

But let’s keep in mind that successful Division 1 football programs are not built and maintained by walk-ons. For the record, I like McGloin and wouldn’t mind seeing him continue to succeed at PSU as their starting QB. But this Bolden transfer affects PSU down the recruiting trail when another prized QB or any top player for that matter comes down that path. They will see how the Bolden situation was handled (right or wrong) and shy away from PSU. [/quote]

How was it handled? He was given a chance to win the starting job as a true freshman. He won the job, and became the 1st ever true freshman to open the season as a starter in thd 45 years that JoePa has been a head coach. In his time as a starter, he had a lot of growing pains. He ended with a TD/INT ratio of 5/7, we didn’t beat a single team that we shouldn’t have beaten, and we lost to a very mediocore Illinois team. When McGloin got in, we beat a Michigan squad that we were an underdog against, and came back to beat Northwestern when down 21.

I don’t think that McGloin had a better arm, made better decisions, was bigger, was faster, etc. I just know that when watching the team, they moved the ball a lot more effectively when McGloin was under center. We finished drives and finally ended all of the red zone woes. My hope was that either Bolden or Jones would beat him out since I think they have a much high ceiling, but I think McGloin was the better QB heading into every game that he started.

As fans we can’t know for sure, but the appearance with both Devlin and Bolden is that they were promised playing time that never materialized. This despite situations where many coaches would’ve played the backup QB (concussion to Clark prior to Iowa game, poor play by McGloin against Florida).

[quote=“TomF, post:18, topic:1716”]As fans we can’t know for sure, but the appearance with both Devlin and Bolden is that they were promised playing time that never materialized. This despite situations where many coaches would’ve played the backup QB (concussion to Clark prior to Iowa game, poor play by McGloin against Florida).[/quote]That and mabye that Rob got the hook due to some struggles but Matt never got the same hook after some pretty poopy performances

The Devlin situation was him realizing that Clark would play two years. You have to remember at the beginning of the year it was not known that clark would get his 5th year. I think once that was a done deal Devlin realized he wouldn’t displace an All Big Ten QB the next year thus only giving him this year to play. In my opinion Iowa had little to do with his leaving. Fans like to point at that game but the facts are Clark was medically cleared to play and PSU had a two score lead in the 4th Q that the D couldn’t hold.

McGloin/Bolden situtation I can’t defend, but it appears that the Robert Boldens (Sr. and Jr.) made this decison before the bowl game.