OT - Music Thread

Lake Street Dive, IMO, one of more interesting new groups. This girl has pipes. Playing tonight in Philly, tomorrow in Burlington, VT(sold out) and Portland, ME on the 22nd. Don’t hear many young girls with voices like this, certainly not live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kELt1iqHwfY

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:301, topic:2362”]Lake Street Dive, IMO, one of more interesting new groups. This girl has pipes. Playing tonight in Philly, tomorrow in Burlington, VT(sold out) and Portland, ME on the 22nd. Don’t hear many young girls with voices like this, certainly not live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kELt1iqHwfY[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks…gonna share this one!

[quote="kidcoyote, post:301, topic:2362"]Lake Street Dive, IMO, one of more interesting new groups. This girl has pipes. Playing tonight in Philly, tomorrow in Burlington, VT(sold out) and Portland, ME on the 22nd. Don't hear many young girls with voices like this, certainly not live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kELt1iqHwfY[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks…gonna share this one!

That girl has a great singing voice. She sounds like a female version of Ina Astbury, lead singer of the Cult. I always felt that Ian was one of the best lead vocalists of the 80s/90s. Very underrated. Then again, the Cult was one of the greatest band impersonators of the era. A British group that sang was amounts to southern rock… …and did a GREAT job at it.

The past nine months I’ve seen John Prine, Patty Griffin, Ryan Adams, Willie Nelson, Billy Bragg and Lake Street Dive. Winner: Lake Street Dive by a head.

The singer for Lake Street Dive does have a good singing voice. I do not like how she uses it. Granted, her style of pronunciation is popular among many singers today but I don’t care for it. For example how she sings the word “night.” The vowel sound in “night” is usually located in the middle of the mouth, she locates it somewhere behind her back teeth. To me it sounds terribly affected and overdone. And the way she (and many other singers today) emphasize the normally unaccented vowel sound in diphthongs (i.e. placing the emphasis on the long e sound at the end of the word “way”) sounds similarly phony. I’ll be glad when this fade in pop vocal performance passes. To me, that pronunciation style gets in the way of communicating the lyric. With her voice she should not need to resort to such vocal gimmicks to communicate the emotion of the song.

It seems to me that this is a fad that has struck predominantly female artists. I don’t get it.

[quote=“LarryH, post:305, topic:2362”]The singer for Lake Street Dive does have a good singing voice. I do not like how she uses it. Granted, her style of pronunciation is popular among many singers today but I don’t care for it. For example how she sings the word “night.” The vowel sound in “night” is usually located in the middle of the mouth, she locates it somewhere behind her back teeth. To me it sounds terribly affected and overdone. And the way she (and many other singers today) emphasize the normally unaccented vowel sound in diphthongs (i.e. placing the emphasis on the long e sound at the end of the word “way”) sounds similarly phony. I’ll be glad when this fade in pop vocal performance passes. To me, that pronunciation style gets in the way of communicating the lyric. With her voice she should not need to resort to such vocal gimmicks to communicate the emotion of the song.

It seems to me that this is a fad that has struck predominantly female artists. I don’t get it.[/quote]

I notice some odd pronunciations. Eh, what the heck. It’s all about experimenting. Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha, Mary J. Blige(the first and last from my hometown of Yonkers) also had odd phrasing, and unusual ways of saying things. Whether this girl holds up, who knows? She’s pretty hot though, and that’s a voice. Keep in mind, it’s unaided by electronic wizardry. Recent tour had 4 shows in Boston. Not sure of the venue size, but we sold out 750 in Burlington, VT, 4 days before the show. Could’ve easily sold 2X the tickets but fire laws prevented it.

Been listening to Lake Street Dive for the last 30 minutes or more. Thanks for the referral!!!
I think I found a nice XMAS gift idea (CDs) for the Mrs.
Thanks again!!!

[quote="LarryH, post:305, topic:2362"]The singer for Lake Street Dive does have a good singing voice. I do not like how she uses it. Granted, her style of pronunciation is popular among many singers today but I don’t care for it. For example how she sings the word “night.” The vowel sound in “night” is usually located in the middle of the mouth, she locates it somewhere behind her back teeth. To me it sounds terribly affected and overdone. And the way she (and many other singers today) emphasize the normally unaccented vowel sound in diphthongs (i.e. placing the emphasis on the long e sound at the end of the word “way”) sounds similarly phony. I’ll be glad when this fade in pop vocal performance passes. To me, that pronunciation style gets in the way of communicating the lyric. With her voice she should not need to resort to such vocal gimmicks to communicate the emotion of the song.

It seems to me that this is a fad that has struck predominantly female artists. I don’t get it.[/quote]

I notice some odd pronunciations. Eh, what the heck. It’s all about experimenting. Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha, Mary J. Blige(the first and last from my hometown of Yonkers) also had odd phrasing, and unusual ways of saying things. Whether this girl holds up, who knows? She’s pretty hot though, and that’s a voice. Keep in mind, it’s unaided by electronic wizardry. Recent tour had 4 shows in Boston. Not sure of the venue size, but we sold out 750 in Burlington, VT, 4 days before the show. Could’ve easily sold 2X the tickets but fire laws prevented it.

Funny you should mention Ella, one of my all time favorites. Listen to the comparison of Rachael Price and Ella Fitzgerald singing the same song. I’ll take Ella’s rendition any day. And maybe I am just used to listening to The First Lady of Song, but her pronounciations do not sound convoluted to me.

Rachael Price Sings Ella Fitzgerald - “Cheek To Cheek”

Ella Fitzgerald - Cheek To Cheek (High Quality - Remastered)

I know I am in a minority, and I’m OK with that :smiley: …but listen to one little word “to.” (around the 20 sec time mark in Ms. Price’s performance.) The way Ms. Price pronounces it the word becomes more important in the lyric than it should be, in my opinion, and her affected style draws attention to that one little word where it should not be the center of attention either in the the lyric or the melody.

One could argue that her stylistic interpretation is what sets her apart, and the unusual emphasis is part of that style, and I would have a hard time arguing against that. After all, Frank Sinatra played with phrasing a melody in a way that was unusual for his day and it is what made him great. So who am I to say doing something out of the ordinary is not acceptable. It is simply that her style sounds far too affected for my taste, and not natural. She is extremely talented and many people like what she does. Good for her. :slight_smile:

Stolen from Billie Holliday.

After all, Frank Sinatra played with phrasing a melody in a way that was unusual for his day and it is what made him great.

Stolen from Billie Holliday.

I prefer “learned” to “stolen.” :slight_smile: Artists learn a style then make it their own.

And Lady Day learned that style of phrasing from Louis Armstrong. (see the NPR special http://www.npr.org/2010/11/19/131451449/billie-holiday-emotional-power-through-song for a fuller tracing of the lineage of this style of phrasing.)

Forgot about the Armstrong origin!

[quote=“LarryH, post:308, topic:2362”]I know I am in a minority, and I’m OK with that :smiley: …but listen to one little word “to.” (around the 20 sec time mark in Ms. Price’s performance.) The way Ms. Price pronounces it the word becomes more important in the lyric than it should be, in my opinion, and her affected style draws attention to that one little word where it should not be the center of attention either in the the lyric or the melody.

One could argue that her stylistic interpretation is what sets her apart, and the unusual emphasis is part of that style, and I would have a hard time arguing against that. After all, Frank Sinatra played with phrasing a melody in a way that was unusual for his day and it is what made him great. So who am I to say doing something out of the ordinary is not acceptable. It is simply that her style sounds far too affected for my taste, and not natural. She is extremely talented and many people like what she does. Good for her. :)[/quote]

I didn’t mean to say she’s as good as Ella, nor Aretha or Mary J Blige, just that she experiments. My wife likes her yet she agrees with you, that it sounds affected. She doesn’t like it when white people do songs made famous by black people. She just thinks it sounds off, wrong, whatever. And she thinks this girl is fabulous, but like you, much prefers Ella’s version. My wife, who knows more about music than anyone I know well, in terms of knowing what works/sells, etc., got the tipoff for Lake St. Dive from a HS friend, and lifetime music industry veteran, who saw them in Nashville, at some big event. He thought they were best in show, and through Facebook, posted it. He claims he wrote Bette Midler’s speech for the Rock n Roll HOF induction of Laura Nyro back a year or two(worth watching). So, he’s pretty plugged in to what’s going on. It’ll be interesting to see how this band goes. But to be really big, they probably need to do some more hit songs of their own, or have songs written exclusively for them. I think they’ve written a couple, but haven’t checked.

Caught Carolina Chocolate Drops (featuring friend Laurelyn Dossett, PSU '83, on backing vocals, second from right in front row) and Old Crow Medicine Show at the Ryman Auditorium on New Year’s Eve.

nice, that would be good show.

Mac Sabbath: A Black Sabbath Cover Band That Performs As McDonald’s Characters

Mac Sabbath “Frying Pan”

Garth Brooks coming back to the BJC in May

Do you think he will be doing 5 shows, like he did last time?

2 shows, apparently.

Ryan Adams covers Bryan Adams

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/watch-ryan-adams-redemptive-cover-of-summer-of-69-20150429

[quote="Tom, post:316, topic:2362"]Garth Brooks coming back to the BJC in May[/quote]

Do you think he will be doing 5 shows, like he did last time?

Six shows. Three last weekend, three this weekend. No shows anywhere in between. One rumor is that he’s spending the week fishing round and about the area.