OT - Music Thread

[quote="mjg, post:257, topic:2362"]I hate when bands put a bunch of blank tracks on a CD. I'm putting a bunch of older CDs on my entertainment system PC and have come across several bands who I forgot did that. Drives me nuts.[/quote]

You’re probably too young to remember 45’s. I went to the same HS as Stephen Tyler (Tallerico in HS), and my neighbor was a drummer. They were a few years older. One of my wife’s friends, who has a Pam Anderson figure(but real), dated him. I got his first group’s first song, “The Sun”. Yes, I lost it…and it cost me 69 cents! Anyway, the same song was on side 2. Still remember the yellow label, but don’t remember the company. Remember the Beatles “Help” album? One side was weak, like an orchestra, maybe the movie music, but not by them. Terrible, might as well have been blank. Blank tracks on CD’s is certainly weak.

I’m old enough that when I was a kid I had some 45’s and 78’s (is that the right number?). I never had any adult music in that format though. By the time my music tastes matured to that point, cassettes were the new thing. I never owned an 8-track although several friend my age did. I was lucky my dad was savvy enough to talk me into cassettes instead.

8-tracks were frustrating. The track would fade out and ‘flip’ to the other side half way thorugh a song

About two months ago, I stumbled across a PBS-106.7FM out of Melbourne Australia. They have the most diverse music programming that I have ever seen. for example, they have a show called Fret Net that focuses on guitar music of all genres.

While they do offer live streaming audio, each show has an audio archive & playlists of past shows which is great so I don’t have to stay up until 1AM to listen to Soul Time or Soulgroove 66.

Program Guide

Cool site, thanks Tim!

They also have iPhone and Android apps for those that swing that way

I knew that there was a good neo-soul/funk revival movement Down Under with acts like the Bamboos, Kylie Auldist, etc. but this group is pretty fricking awsome considering how young they are…supposedly they’ve all just graduated from High School, but they all look like 9th graders…they’re called the Cactus Channel

The only thing they have out right now are 2 45s in Australia and now some songs available on iTunes…I might actually have to break down and buy my first ever MP3s

They have a few vids on YouTube…

Peter the Turtle

the Dap

the video of the last one is a shaky hand held one, but check out the sax solo at about 4:20

Saturday night

www.thecactuschannel.com

Oh dear!: http://www.levonhelm.com

"Dear Friends, Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. ..."

[quote=“tjb, post:266, topic:2362”]Oh dear!: http://www.levonhelm.com

[quote]“Dear Friends,
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. …”[/quote][/quote]

Terrible news

Anybody see this? Amazing.

Autistic Boy Plays Piano Man

On another matter, for the last few years my wife, a very good singer, has entered “moms that rock” in Vermont, a contest among about 20-25 entrants, with 3 winners, with prizes maybe worth $100 each, though I can’t even remember what they were. They band puts out the list of songs one can choose from, and every year someone places with “Proud Mary”. Year 1, my wife did “Walking on Sunshine”, which she didn’t really like, but what the heck. Year 2, she chose her own song, and the band liked the choice so much, they let her do it, Lucinda Williams’, “I changed the locks on my front door.” She should have won, but alas, no. The next year, she picked her own again, Brandi Carlile’s, “The Story”, and she won. Rules have it that when you win, you can’t compete the next year, but this year’s she’s back. Undecided what she’ll sing, she’s been looking at/practicing a Beach Boys song, “God Only Knows What I’d Be Without You.” Anyway, she found this version, which we both thought was awesome. Elton John recently assisted Leon Russell, toured with him, and presented for him and played with him at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Here’s his tribute to Brian Williams. Not sure my wife will do this, but this is what many feel is Brian Williams most beautiful song.

Elton w/God Only Knows then Brian & Elton w/Wouldn’t It Be Nice

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:268, topic:2362”]Anybody see this? Amazing.

On another matter, for the last few years my wife, a very good singer, has entered “moms that rock” in Vermont, a contest among about 20-25 entrants, with 3 winners, with prizes maybe worth $100 each, though I can’t even remember what they were. They band puts out the list of songs one can choose from, and every year someone places with “Proud Mary”. Year 1, my wife did “Walking on Sunshine”, which she didn’t really like, but what the heck. Year 2, she chose her own song, and the band liked the choice so much, they let her do it, Lucinda Williams’, “I changed the locks on my front door.” She should have won, but alas, no. The next year, she picked her own again, Brandi Carlile’s, “The Story”, and she won. Rules have it that when you win, you can’t compete the next year, but this year’s she’s back. Undecided what she’ll sing, she’s been looking at/practicing a Beach Boys song, “God Only Knows What I’d Be Without You.” Anyway, she found this version, which we both thought was awesome. Elton John recently assisted Leon Russell, toured with him, and presented for him and played with him at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Here’s his tribute to Brian Williams. Not sure my wife will do this, but this is what many feel is Brian Williams most beautiful song.

Elton w/God Only Knows then Brian & Elton w/Wouldn’t It Be Nice[/quote]

A lot more think it’s Brian Wilson’s most beautiful song. :wink:

[quote="kidcoyote, post:268, topic:2362"]Anybody see this? Amazing.

Elton w/God Only Knows then Brian & Elton w/Wouldn’t It Be Nice[/quote]

A lot more think it’s Brian Wilson’s most beautiful song. :wink:

Typo

Any chance the two of you are currently fighting for Sophia Loren’s affection? :smiley:

Cool song from a band out of Seattle. Awesome groove and the singer has a great voice. The song is about Sam Cooke’s murder.

Pickwick - Hacienda Motel (Live on KEXP)

Sad day in music :frowning: Adam Yauch, Beastie Boys’ MCA, Dead at 47

Beastie Boys - Sabotage

New tune I heard and liked a lot! It’s got a rockabilly vibe.

The Mobros - MISSISSIPPI WOMAN

Doc Watson recently hospitalized:

http://youtu.be/DUzVUNJKiDc

Levon Helm would have been 72 today:

http://youtu.be/DO-nwWOb098

Doc Watson gone

Whoa.

Johnny Hiland slow blues jam-2009 Dallas Guitar Festival

Here’s another thread that can go over with the other OT’s.

Bob Dylan was in Hershey on Monday, and I know there are some huge Bob Dylan fans on this forum.

Did anyone go to see him?

Very cool! I’ve always wanted to see these guys!

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band to Play BJC

Thought I’d ressurect this chestnut. This summer I discovered a band called Neon Trees. Sort of an 80s INXS vibe. Bought both of their albums and finally tracked down their EP.

They also did a cool cover of “State Trooper” that is even more bleak than the original.

State Trooper

Calling My Name

Love & Affection

Everybody Talks

Thought there was a music thread, but couldn’t find it.

On my favorite period in Dylan’s career:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/unlike-a-rolling-stone/