PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Music Thread

I figure we have a movie thread, maybe a music thread wouldn’t be so bad. I learned that TJB is a guitarist, I wonder how many other musicians we have on the site? I’ve played for about 15 years now, although I’m not nearly as good as I should be.

Skeeza’s post about not listening to the radio anymore made me think we could use a music thread, especially during the offseason.

(tim, please delete if you don’t want too many of these OT threads popping up…I don’t know how it affects bandwidth/annual cost)

Here are a few new groups/people I’m really into that you probably won’t find on the radio.

The Band of Heathens “Somebody Tell the Truth”

I’m a bit of a movie and music snob, so I think i’ll just avoid these threads as much as possible. :slight_smile:

I do pretend to play the guitar (self taught and I rarely pick it up recently), and I took piano lessons for a few years growing up - but I’m not a musician by any stretch. Just someone who enjoys a wide selection of music people have never heard of and probably wouldn’t enjoy. I’m what you might call a hipster of sorts, although I don’t drink PBR.

My family is full of musicians (and if you are familiar with the Centre County music scene over the years, you may know one of them). Unfortunately I didn’t get that talent.

More mainstream, I saw Mumford and Sons at Jazzfest last weekend, definitely one of the more talented bands I’ve seen. If you haven’t heard of them, check them out. Quite the eclectic combination of musical influences and even instrument choice.

Real hipsters drink HighLife :wink:

Ok, my last contribution until/unless the thread takes off.

Jonathon Tyler and the Northern Lights. These guys will steal your candy and not feel bad about it.

Gypsy Woman by Jonathan Tyler and The Northern Lights

I listen to a radio station in Boston that plays some very interesting stuff, both new and old. You’ll hear Mumford and Sons and then Joni Mitchell, Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs and then the Dead. It streams at www.wers.org, for those so inclined.

Played piano in my youth but don’t play anymore. I like a broad variety of music, including what I hear above, as well as jazz, classical, and bluegrass. I’m told by people who love me that I’m weird. :wink:

This thread better stay around. Always wondered why it never existed, but then I’ve always wondered why music in State College sucks. No musician, but definite lover of music.

What’s gotten the most play on my finals playlist:

The Swell Season - The Rain (w/ Lyrics)

Cannot wait for their return tour this summer. Are you going? I was pretty impressed by their jimmy fallon performance the other night considering it’s been 9 years. Looking forward to the EP and Chad’s solo album that are set to release sometime this month.

Even an old(er) fart like me can appreciate a great new song like Gypsy Woman by Jonathon Tyler and the Northern Lights! I’ve been hearin that song lately on the radio here in Harrisburg.

Just picked this up at the record store. If he ever comes around you go see him.
Joe Bonamassa, Dust Bowl. Las Vegas House of Blues. 2/19/11

[quote=“LPcreation, post:1, topic:2362”]I figure we have a movie thread, maybe a music thread wouldn’t be so bad. I learned that TJB is a guitarist, I wonder how many other musicians we have on the site? I’ve played for about 15 years now, although I’m not nearly as good as I should be.

Skeeza’s post about not listening to the radio anymore made me think we could use a music thread, especially during the offseason.

(tim, please delete if you don’t want too many of these OT threads popping up…I don’t know how it affects bandwidth/annual cost)

Here are a few new groups/people I’m really into that you probably won’t find on the radio.[/quote]

I have simple taste in music, nothing elaborate.

I like Melloncamp, Billy Joel, Southern Rock, and '80s Rap.

[quote="LPcreation, post:1, topic:2362"]I figure we have a movie thread, maybe a music thread wouldn't be so bad. I learned that TJB is a guitarist, I wonder how many other musicians we have on the site? I've played for about 15 years now, although I'm not nearly as good as I should be.

Here are a few new groups/people I’m really into that you probably won’t find on the radio.[/quote]

I have simple taste in music, nothing elaborate.

I like Melloncamp, Billy Joel, Southern Rock, and '80s Rap.

Is that John Cougar Watermelloncamp or John Honey Dew Melloncamp? :wink:

Love Joe. He does a nasty version of The Thrill is gone by BB.

Derek Trucks is great too.

I actually make beats in my spare time. I do it all on computer. I’m open to all kind of music. What I make is mostly hip hop and electro.

definitely one of the more talented bands I've seen.

ugh. lol

[quote="jjepsu92, post:9, topic:2362"]Just picked this up at the record store. If he ever comes around you go see him.[/quote]

Love Joe. He does a nasty version of The Thrill is gone by BB.

Derek Trucks is great too.

If you like guitar, I’m thinking this was the show you wanted to catch last year.

Official Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 Trailer

How’s this for a lineup?

Albert Lee, BB King, Bert Jansch, Buddy Guy, David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas of Los Lobos, Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II, Earl Klugh, Eric Clapton, Gary Clark Jr., Hubert Sumlin, James Burton, Jeff Beck, Jimmie Vaughan, Joe Bonamassa, John Mayer, Johnny Winter, Jonny Lang, Keb’ Mo’, Pino Daniele, Robert Cray, Robert Randolph, Sheryl Crow, Susan Tedeschi, Sonny Landreth, Stefan Grossman, Steve Winwood, Vince Gill, Warren Haynes, and ZZ Top.

I’ve got tickets to see Jonny Lang next month and I’m very much looking forward to it.

Talor Battle’s theme song? Little Lion Man.

Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man

I missed the crossroads tour but hopefully I’ll catch one someday. I’ve seen a lot of people on the ticket but never at the same time (obviously). One guy I haven’t seen that I really want is Mayer. I have a serious man crush on him. One of the best young blues guitarists out there on par with Bonamassa, Trucks, and KWS. Another young guy that has a lot of potential is Davey Knowles of Backdoor Slam.

Back Door Slam - Come Home / Comin’ Up For Air

I’ve never seen Lang in concert and he and Keb Mo did a show 1 1/2 years together about 1 hr from State College that I really wanted to attend. The wife was about 8 1/2 months preggo at that time so I decided I shouldn’t really go anywhere (plus, Keb was coming to State College a few weeks later). I did catch one of Lang’s concerts on a Directv music channel and it wasn’t my favorite. And I LOVE Jonny Lang ever since he hit the scene back in 95 or 96. He was doing a lot of trance sort of stuff and it was boring me out of my mind. Mindlessly long boring guitar solos where his facial expressions were making more movements than his left hand. Hopefully he’s back to his blues roots and puts on a rockin show for you!

LP, I saw Davy and Back Door Slam open for Chickenfoot. The kid is really freaking good. Made a comment to my wife when we saw them that with his talent, looks and English accent I am sure he’s a huge hit with the ladies.

I’m a huge Sammy Hagar/Van Halen fan so seeing The Foot with Satch and Chad was a lot of fun but seeing Back Door Slam was really cool and we picked up two of their albums at the show.

Whenever you buy tickets for a show and they saw So and So with Special Guest you wonder if it is worth it to get there early. With Knowles it was definitely worth getting there early.

“Notes are expensive… spend them wisely” - B.B. King

I always liked B.B. King, but after I saw him live, I loved B.B. King. I think his minimalist style has a lot of depth. The way he works the gaps, silence, ma, whatever you want to call it, into a song, ends up giving his music a second rhythm.

[quote=“timauman, post:19, topic:2362”]“Notes are expensive… spend them wisely” - B.B. King
I always liked B.B. King, but after I saw him live, I loved B.B. King. I think his minimalist style has a lot of depth. The way he works the gaps, silence, ma, whatever you want to call it, into a song, ends up giving his music a second rhythm.[/quote]

Totally agree. A lot of times with the blues, less is more and nobody is better at that than BB. That’s not exactly what Jonny was doing. It was like he’d bend a B note, then have a seizure for 5 seconds. And this went on for about 45 minutes.