OT: MSU v Texas

Pretty good game late in the first half. MSU looking pretty good. Up 35-28.

Damion James is what I thought Raymar Morgan was going to become.

This is one heck of a game with two VERY good teams. Rick Barnes may finally have a team that can make a Final 4 run.

MSU’s two starting guards, Lucas and Allen, at least in the espn boxscore had assist/TO ratios of 2/6 and 0/5, respectively. And zero rebounds combined. Lucas was 3-11 from the field including 0-2 from the arc, totalling 11 points. Tough to win when your starting guards get beaten like that. Maybe our guards beat them up like that too. Hehehe. ;D

That alley oop at the end even got me (a neutral observer) out of my seat. Sick!

Texas was all over Lucas and Lucious all game. They barely had room to breathe. It was a lot like the way Purdue defends. I guess if the refs start letting them get away with that early, then that is an extremely effective strategy. The number of turnovers were extremely high for MSU.

Texas has beaten UNC and MSU in consecutive games. They are definitely living up to the hype. James was just unstoppable underneath, even against a strong MSU frontcourt. But the difference was definitely the smothering Texas defense.

I’m just not feeling MSU this year. I have watched them a couple of games and they are just missing something. They don’t have anybody it seems that can really take the ball and score on a consistent basis. Throw in that they are not the rebounding machines that has been typical of MSU teams of the past, and I don’t think that MSU is going to have the year that everybody thought back in October.

Lucas tends to flounder against quick/athletic teams that are able to pressure the ball. Not surprising that he dominates the Big 10, but OOC he gets exposed a little.

I said before the season started that I thought MSU would miss Walton and Suton more than anyone thought. Walton had all the intangibles. much like Cornley, and he also always guarded the other team’s best guard. MSU has tons of athletes this year, but nobody filling the roles of Walton and Suton and doing the “dirty work” that wins games.

Great points 83. I agree. Walton was an extremely productive player. Suton was tough. I am not a big fan of Lucas.

[quote="Cletus11, post:7, topic:540"]I'm just not feeling MSU this year. I have watched them a couple of games and they are just missing something. They don't have anybody it seems that can really take the ball and score on a consistent basis. Throw in that they are not the rebounding machines that has been typical of MSU teams of the past, and I don't think that MSU is going to have the year that everybody thought back in October.[/quote]

I said before the season started that I thought MSU would miss Walton and Suton more than anyone thought. Walton had all the intangibles. much like Cornley, and he also always guarded the other team’s best guard. MSU has tons of athletes this year, but nobody filling the roles of Walton and Suton and doing the “dirty work” that wins games.

Good points. Even Izzo was saying in pre-season interview that Lucas would have to step up D with Walton gone, that he’d have to take on more responsibilities. With no help from Walton, Talor’s going to eat his lunch… again. Better hope there’s no NBA scouts there penciling him in front of Lucas in the draft possibilities charts. :wink: Not til 2011!