PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: More Expansion

The Big Least adds TCU.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2010/11/big_east_moves_west_adds_tcu.html

Wow, very interesting. If it keeps ~itt out of a BCS game I will be happy.

I think the basketball part of it is pretty interesting also… now a 17 team conference, holy crap.

Also means that they will now only have two repeat games of each team in the regular season - playing the 16 other teams once with 2 repeat opponents that will stay locked each year.

I wonder if, at a certain point the NCAA has to worry about the conference getting any larger. Because so many of the schools don’t participate in the big east in football they could certainly add more teams like TCU to the conference.

I am wondering if this might be a first step to a ultimatum to ND to be all in or out of Big East? Or could we see the jettison of one of the struggling basketball only schools like DePaul.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:3, topic:1569”]I think the basketball part of it is pretty interesting also… now a 17 team conference, holy crap.

Also means that they will now only have two repeat games of each team in the regular season - playing the 16 other teams once with 2 repeat opponents that will stay locked each year.

I wonder if, at a certain point the NCAA has to worry about the conference getting any larger. Because so many of the schools don’t participate in the big east in football they could certainly add more teams like TCU to the conference. [/quote]

The rumor has been Nova moving their football program to D1 level. That would make 10 football schools. Something would have to be done with basketball - 17 schools is crazy. I don’t think the shuffling is close to finished yet.

Wasn’t there talk of pushing the nonfootball schools out (i.e. Providence, Georgetown, St. John’s, DePaul, Marquette and Seton Hall). Plus asking Nova to go to I-A in football.

Nova is rumored to be going D1A in football. I have heard they might be trying to push out the non football schools – I think more specifically, the basketball only schools (are there any of those?). TCU is pretty far away from the rest of the football schools though (really every school). So it makes you wonder what they are up to.

That first round TCU/South Florida game at the Big East tourney in the Garden will have a great vibe to it. ::slight_smile:

TCU is just looking for the BCS bid. Right now they are going to steamroll the Big East.

The Big East is trying to get to 12 football schools. I can see them adding Nova and probably inviting Temple back. If they get to twelve schools they get the championship game no matter how lame it is. Plus with adding TCU they pick up the Dallas tv market and get Texas as a recruiting area.

Win win for TCU and Big East.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:9, topic:1569”]Plus with adding TCU they pick up the Dallas tv market and get Texas as a recruiting area.
Win win for TCU and Big East.[/quote]

I guess. But isn’t TCU like the 3rd banana at best in Texas? Will getting the likes of Syracuse and Pitt in front of the eyes of Texans really do anything for the Big East from a football standpoint? It just seems like a square peg in a round hole to me. Then again I guess that what the Big East is.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:9, topic:1569"]Plus with adding TCU they pick up the Dallas tv market and get Texas as a recruiting area. Win win for TCU and Big East.[/quote]

I guess. But isn’t TCU like the 3rd banana at best in Texas? Will getting the likes of Syracuse and Pitt in front of the eyes of Texans really do anything for the Big East from a football standpoint? It just seems like a square peg in a round hole to me. Then again I guess that what the Big East is.

Pretty much, Hewey…

Maybe they can add Houston as well to give TCU a running mate. It would be fun to re-enact Phi Slamma Jamma in the Big East.

Villanova and Central Florida (to help out South Florida) and give those New Yawkas another trip to the warm weather during hoop season. There’s your twelve.

But what about Temple? Heck why stop at twelve. Add Boise and Hawaii and rename the conference…

The Big East, West, North, South and Everything In Between Conference. They can play their title games on Ellis Island under the motto of “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”

Boy it’s getting late and I’m getting giddy…good night.

Exactly the opposite. The talk was that if the Big Ten raided the conference for a couple of schools then the Big East basketball only schools would withdraw and form their own basketball only conference.

It almost has the feeling of an “all others” conference. It’s getting really out of hand. They might as well make up a conference of all the non-BCS schools (including the Big East) and give them 1 automatic bid every year, because it really feels like that’s where the Big East is headed.

Heck, why don’t they (for football) just go back to all being independents, have a vote for the Lombardi trophy (Is that right… I forget the name of the old trophy we used to win every year for being the top eastern independent) and give the BCS bid out to the winner. The would be better than the Big East Automatic bid system they have now.

Lambert Trophy. The Lombardi Trophy is that famous one - you know the one given to the Super Bowl Champs. I think the Lambert Trophy is still awarded to the top Eastern School - not just independents.

and we are still eligible and often win it (the last two years for example). Technically, the award goes to the top Eastern school (D1 program in NY, NJ, PA, or New England) or a school that plays half of its games against schools that qualify via the first part. So that makes all the Big East schools eligible even though West Virginia, Cincy, Louisville, and South Florida wouldn’t normally qualify (Va Tech and Miami also qualified when they were Big East members).

[quote="jjepsu92, post:9, topic:1569"]Plus with adding TCU they pick up the Dallas tv market and get Texas as a recruiting area. Win win for TCU and Big East.[/quote]

Pretty much, Hewey…

Maybe they can add Houston as well to give TCU a running mate. It would be fun to re-enact Phi Slamma Jamma in the Big East.

Villanova and Central Florida (to help out South Florida) and give those New Yawkas another trip to the warm weather during hoop season. There’s your twelve.

But what about Temple? Heck why stop at twelve. Add Boise and Hawaii and rename the conference…

The Big East, West, North, South and Everything In Between Conference. They can play their title games on Ellis Island under the motto of “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”

They could name it Conference USA, wait that’s already taken.

Pretty much, Hewey…

The Big East, West, North, South and Everything In Between Conference. They can play their title games on Ellis Island under the motto of "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"

How about…“yearning to breathe free polluted inner city air.”

This is a real kick in the jewels for Boise State.

Earlier, they left the WAC to join the MWC, so they can play against better competition and perhaps be in a conference that will get an auto-bid.

Since that time:

• Utah joins the PAC TEN
  • BYU goes indepedant
  • TCU joins the BIG EAST

…now, they are right back in the same spot where they started.

And the BCS schools will STILL complain that Boise doesn’t play anyone !!!

[quote=“Skeeza, post:18, topic:1569”]This is a real kick in the jewels for Boise State.

Earlier, they left the WAC to join the MWC, so they can play against better competition and perhaps be in a conference that will get an auto-bid.

Since that time:

• Utah joins the PAC TEN
  • BYU goes indepedant
  • TCU joins the BIG EAST

…now, they are right back in the same spot where they started.

And the BCS schools will STILL complain that Boise doesn’t play anyone !!![/quote]

My thoughts exactly

Don’t be surprised to see the basketball schools: Notre Dame, Georgetown, Providence, DePaul, St. Johns, Marquette, and Seton Hall split from the Big East to form their own conference at some point.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see, once "Nova goes FBS in football, the Big East to add Houston (rival for TCU) and Central Florida (rival for USF) into the conference to give them 12 in football.

The aforementioned basketball schools who would be leaving could pick up one of the A-10 schools (Richmond most likely) to give them 8 teams for their conference.