PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: More Conference Changes Possible (Mountain West and WAC)

Now BYU is thinking about leaving the MWC to be a football independent. If they do they will play other sports in the WAC or WCC (Gonzaga’s and St. Mary’s conf) They seem to think they can get a guaranteed BCS bid like Notre Dame has. I have my doubts.

The MWC has invited Fresno State and Nevada to join the conference from the WAC. If BYU does leave the MWC their chances of becoming a BCS league are practically zero.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774

[quote=“laoDan, post:1, topic:1300”]Now BYU is thinking about leaving the MWC to be a football independent. If they do they will play other sports in the WAC or WCC (Gonzaga’s and St. Mary’s conf) They seem to think they can get a guaranteed BCS bid like Notre Dame has. I have my doubts.

The MWC has invited Fresno State and Nevada to join the conference from the WAC. If BYU does leave the MWC their chances of becoming a BCS league are practically zero.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774[/quote]

I think BYU figured out something legally that then can exploit in the deal BCS gave ND. BYU probably could schedule a better opponents as an indie then staying with MWC. It could also be a set up to eventually make themselves really attractive to a BCS conference.
The Church of Later Day Saint (Owners of BYU) has a significant funds and political push as shown by the California vote a few years ago. I would bet they have some kind of plan.

[quote="laoDan, post:1, topic:1300"]Now BYU is thinking about leaving the MWC to be a football independent. If they do they will play other sports in the WAC or WCC (Gonzaga's and St. Mary's conf) They seem to think they can get a guaranteed BCS bid like Notre Dame has. I have my doubts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5474774[/quote]

I think BYU figured out something legally that then can exploit in the deal BCS gave ND. BYU probably could schedule a better opponents as an indie then staying with MWC. It could also be a set up to eventually make themselves really attractive to a BCS conference.
The Church of Later Day Saint (Owners of BYU) has a significant funds and political push as shown by the California vote a few years ago. I would bet they have some kind of plan.

And if Mitt Romney becomes our next president, well, let the conspiracy theories begin.

If we can’t say no to a mosque at ground zero because of “freedom of religion”, then we can’t say no to a Mormon school as an independent in the BCS :o

BYU has always seen itself as the “big dog” in the western region. The fact that Utah is headed to the Pac 10 is really making them re-think their options as they were the only school between Calif and Colorado that was on par with them. With the Utes effectively loacked away in the Pac-10, this kind of move actually makes sense at some level, and they can use the Notre Dame argument pretty effectively. Sure, there are more Catholics than Mormons, but BYU can make a similar “national interest” claim based on their religious affiliation.

[quote=“MarkH, post:4, topic:1300”]If we can’t say no to a mosque at ground zero because of “freedom of religion”, then we can’t say no to a Mormon school as an independent in the BCS :o

BYU has always seen itself as the “big dog” in the western region. The fact that Utah is headed to the Pac 10 is really making them re-think their options as they were the only school between Calif and Colorado that was on par with them. With the Utes effectively loacked away in the Pac-10, this kind of move actually makes sense at some level, and they can use the Notre Dame argument pretty effectively. Sure, there are more Catholics than Mormons, but BYU can make a similar “national interest” claim based on their religious affiliation.[/quote]

Makes sense to me!

Football is what drives athletic programs, but in this case, to say that things are aimed at the BCS would not be completely accurate.

Perhaps there was a time when an ADs crosshairs was on their BCS image and chances, but I don’t think that is the case today. BCS used to be the big-dollar ticket, now it’s TV dollars. I think the bigger prize is the BYU TV Network. I don’t think BYU feels that they can get the same ND sweetheart deal with the BCS, but I think they are more attracted by the broadcast rights that ND has.

Don’t worry, the MWC will be just fine. They have just as much chance without BYU as they did with BYU.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:6, topic:1300”]Football is what drives athletic programs, but in this case, to say that things are aimed at the BCS would not be completely accurate.

Perhaps there was a time when an ADs crosshairs was on their BCS image and chances, but I don’t think that is the case today. BCS used to be the big-dollar ticket, now it’s TV dollars. I think the bigger prize is the BYU TV Network. I don’t think BYU feels that they can get the same ND sweetheart deal with the BCS, but I think they are more attracted by the broadcast rights that ND has.

Don’t worry, the MWC will be just fine. They have just as much chance without BYU as they did with BYU.[/quote]

The LDSN? Hmmmm. Are there enough Mormons in this country to make such a Network plausible? Interesting thought.

Me and my 12 wives and my 84 children will be watching :slight_smile:

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:1300"]The LDSN? Hmmmm. Are there enough Mormons in this country to make such a Network plausible? Interesting thought.[/quote]

If I’m not mistaken, the Church may have ~12 million members, but I think it’s the world’s fastest growing religion. Dwarfed by Islam and Catholicism, at more than 700 million each, but growing faster. :wink:

[quote="mjg, post:7, topic:1300"]The LDSN? Hmmmm. Are there enough Mormons in this country to make such a Network plausible? Interesting thought.[/quote]

I don’t know if you should, Illi… ;)…your going to NEED your REST…Have you seen the national Mormon TV Ad Campaign. They are are trying to portray Mormons as Diverse people of many race/colors etc etc.
Quite a change from the stereotype of the blond whites who get married at the age of 17.

[quote="Skeeza, post:6, topic:1300"]Football is what drives athletic programs, but in this case, to say that things are aimed at the BCS would not be completely accurate.

Don’t worry, the MWC will be just fine. They have just as much chance without BYU as they did with BYU.[/quote]

The LDSN? Hmmmm. Are there enough Mormons in this country to make such a Network plausible? Interesting thought.

The network already exists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYU_Television