PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Middle School football trick play

I’m not sure that executing trick plays in middle school exactly demonstrates the kind of sportsmanship that should be taught to kids, but I have to admit, this was one of the more original ones that I’ve ever seen.

Driscoll Middle School Trick Play

This s**t pisses me off to no end. These egotistical youth coaches need to start focusing on the KIDS instead of the game.

:slight_smile:

What is wrong with “trick” plays? They are fun for the players to practice. They show creativity. It’s certainly not cheating. And I’m sure the opposing team learned a valuable lesson from it. Without knowing any of the circumstances (maybe the team on offense was otherwise overmatched and figured why not?), I’m not going to be critical.

Never understood how playing by the rules is considered to be unsportsmanlike. Unless they were winning big late in the game I have no problem with it.

It once again puts all the emphasis on winning - by any way necessary. And I’m sure the coach is more proud of himself for the play call than the kids executing it. I don’t think it’s really unsportsmanlike or anything like that, it’s just the subconscious messages these strategies send to these kids.

then lets get rid of all trickery in football…no more fake punts, no more onside kicks, no more quick snaps, no more screen plays, no more reverse plays, and for Gods sake, no more faking the fullback dive. if the QB acts like he’s going to hand off the ball, he should damn welll hand it off.

::slight_smile: That’s an overexaggeration.

In an era of professional football where you’re not allowed to touch anybody it seems, what 12 year old kid is going to have the balls to hit that QB as he’s walking? Those defensive lineman clearly knew some BS was being pulled, but in this physical sport, it almost seems immoral to hit someone who is just casually walking.

then lets get rid of all trickery in football.....no more fake punts, no more onside kicks, no more quick snaps, no more screen plays, no more reverse plays, and for Gods sake, no more faking the fullback dive. if the QB acts like he's going to hand off the ball, he should damn welll hand it off.

In an era of professional football where you’re not allowed to touch anybody it seems, what 12 year old kid is going to have the balls to hit that QB as he’s walking? Those defensive lineman clearly knew some BS was being pulled, but in this physical sport, it almost seems immoral to hit someone who is just casually walking.

This kid would have (turn your speakers down though - the background music is a little unnecessary)

Trick Play in football gone bad

The QB is lucky he didn’t get hurt - and the coach is at fault for putting him at risk like that.

Eric, you ever play football?? I only ever played Middle School ball, but we had 1 trick play that we would practice all the time. I dont’ think we ever used it, but it was about the only fun thing about practice was preparing that trick play we might use someday. Coach also used OUR practice of a trick play to teach us to be on the lookout for the other team’s tricks.

Considering how well the QB and the center played the scene, and all the other kids were in position (and set for the snap) this play was practiced many times. They finally found the right time to spring it…

It’s part of the game, on both sides… it was within the rules, and took all 11 guys working together to make sure they pulled it off. As long as the score wasn’t lopsided or something, I don’t have a problem with it.

Besides, If that we my kid’s team I’d rather have a coach who’s willing to have some fun like this then some of the Lombardi wanna-be’s that are out there.

Wow, that kid got blown up in the backfield.

[quote=“MarkH, post:10, topic:1465”]Eric, you ever play football?? I only ever played Middle School ball, but we had 1 trick play that we would practice all the time. I dont’ think we ever used it, but it was about the only fun thing about practice was preparing that trick play we might use someday. Coach also used OUR practice of a trick play to teach us to be on the lookout for the other team’s tricks.

Considering how well the QB and the center played the scene, and all the other kids were in position (and set for the snap) this play was practiced many times. They finally found the right time to spring it…

It’s part of the game, on both sides… it was within the rules, and took all 11 guys working together to make sure they pulled it off. As long as the score wasn’t lopsided or something, I don’t have a problem with it.

Besides, If that we my kid’s team I’d rather have a coach who’s willing to have some fun like this then some of the Lombardi wanna-be’s that are out there.[/quote]

Yes, I played in middle school and then 4 years at Central Dauphin.

Bottomline is the only way to stop these plays is to seriously endanger the ball carrier, as Lar showed. What would’ve been the backlash if that kid got a concussion? The only point in calling this play isn’t fun, it’s to score cheap points because it’s an easier path to victory. How does practicing that play teach the kids about the game of football? It doesn’t.

It’s obvious you’ve played. I’m assuming Mark didnt see you drill Talor. :wink:

[quote=“MarkH, post:10, topic:1465”]Eric, you ever play football?? I only ever played Middle School ball, but we had 1 trick play that we would practice all the time. I dont’ think we ever used it, but it was about the only fun thing about practice was preparing that trick play we might use someday. Coach also used OUR practice of a trick play to teach us to be on the lookout for the other team’s tricks.

Besides, If that we my kid’s team I’d rather have a coach who’s willing to have some fun like this then some of the Lombardi wanna-be’s that are out there.[/quote]
Totally agree. I played for a number of different coaches back when I played football and my favorite coach that I ever had was one that would draw up some crazy plays and allow us to have fun. Kids LOVE trick plays - when they would be run successfully against us, I wouldn’t yell about them “being unsportsmanlike.”

I have nothing against this, good job to the team for executing it. We would run “silent snaps” and many times snap it while the offensive line was still standing up (all planned though, so the linemen were ready). It’s part of the game.

And, by the way, he seemed ready to take a hit (you likely will not have a devastating hit at that age). If you watch him walking, he wasn’t standing totally upright and looked like he was ready.

[quote="MarkH, post:10, topic:1465"]Eric, you ever play football?? I only ever played Middle School ball, but we had 1 trick play that we would practice all the time. I dont' think we ever used it, but it was about the only fun thing about practice was preparing that trick play we might use someday. Coach also used OUR practice of a trick play to teach us to be on the lookout for the other team's tricks.

Yes, I played in middle school and then 4 years at Central Dauphin.

Bottomline is the only way to stop these plays is to seriously endanger the ball carrier, as Lar showed. What would’ve been the backlash if that kid got a concussion? The only point in calling this play isn’t fun, it’s to score cheap points because it’s an easier path to victory. How does practicing that play teach the kids about the game of football? It doesn’t.

Okay, I’ll admit I didn’t see the play – my work computer won’t let me watch video on the internet. In general I’m not opposed to trick plays. But I’d never want to see a trick play that could put a kid at risk – more than any other football play anyway. I’ll have to watch it and decide how I feel later.

then lets get rid of all trickery in football.....no more fake punts, no more onside kicks, no more quick snaps, no more screen plays, no more reverse plays, and for Gods sake, no more faking the fullback dive. if the QB acts like he's going to hand off the ball, he should damn welll hand it off.

About the only argument that makes sense to me eric is the one where the DLinemen might feel like they don’t want to pop the QB for just walking through the defense. Might feel they’ll get a penalty for some reason. And also it could be seen as putting the QB at risk, though he looked ready to take a hit.

But as far as trick plays go, do them or have them done onto you. It’s part of the game and a perfectly executed trick play gets such a rise out of the kids.

I just finished coaching another pee-wee team to a championship this past Friday night and we used probably one a game. But it wasn’t so much trickeration as it was a well executed unexpected play. One of our favorites is when it is 3rd or 4th and short. The QB will come up to the line, look over the defense and if he sees an opening up the middle, will tap the center, center snaps the ball and the QB takes off up the middle while the entire line and skill players stay in formation. Good for at least three yards and a first down all the time. It’s similar to the play in question, except the QB is running, not walking. We actually did this quite a few times after drawing the other team offsides with a hard count. Next play, the defense is afraid to jump, so that gives the QB even more of an advantage.

The only time when unsportsmanlike play comes into question at that level of football is when one team seems like it is running up the score. Other than that, if you play within the rules of the game, I see no problem with trick plays. It’s being creative and teaching your kids how to execute. When done successfully, the coaches and kids celebrate the same. And to tell you the truth, we get a lot of “nice play coach” comments from the coaches on the other side of the field and give them back the other way when they do the same.

We have another one that worked beautifully. All game we were splitting twins wide (a blocker in front of a WR on each side of the field). The QB would look and see if he had an advantage and throw that way. If no advantage, then he would keep it himself and get some yards off tackle. Finally we’re faced with a 3rd and long, late in the game. Same twins wide formation. QB takes the snap, fakes the throw one way, then heaves a pass down field to the tight end who had broken free. Touchdown. Tricked the team into believing we were going to throw one way or the other, then sent a kid streaking past the unsuspecting safety. Not quite a trick play, but we tricked them nonetheless.

Three yards and a cloud of dust went out with the birth of video games if not before. Now teams, especially outmanned teams, need to come up with new ways to move the ball to compete. Who will ever forget the plays Boise State made to defeat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Unsportsmanlike??? Hardly. Well-executed trick plays that still have everyone talking about how wonderfully creative those plays were and how Boise State needed to make those plays to win that game.

I coached midget football at that age and that is a bogus, bush league trick play. If some kid comes up and decks him and gets him hurt like in the 2nd video, then what. You teach kids at that level to not hit a defenseless player. Trick plays are great and are fun to run, but that goes too far.

Now that I’ve actually seen the play, I’m not sure I like it. It’s not what I was thinking when the term “trick play” was used. I can see how a play such as this could just get someone hurt. I don’t know that I’d go as far as to say it’s poor sportsmanship – it’s apparently within the rules, so good for them for exploiting it. I do think football rules should be examined, especially at lower levels. Deceptive plays like this can leave a kid vulnerable to injury. No one is blocking for him, and if a linebacker is aware of the play, he decks that poor kid like in the other video.

[quote="Cletus11, post:17, topic:1465"]I coached midget football at that age and that is a bogus, bush league trick play. If some kid comes up and decks him and gets him hurt like in the 2nd video, then what. You teach kids at that level to not hit a defenseless player. Trick plays are great and are fun to run, but that goes too far.[/quote]

Now that I’ve actually seen the play, I’m not sure I like it. It’s not what I was thinking when the term “trick play” was used. I can see how a play such as this could just get someone hurt. I don’t know that I’d go as far as to say it’s poor sportsmanship – it’s apparently within the rules, so good for them for exploiting it. I do think football rules should be examined, especially at lower levels. Deceptive plays like this can leave a kid vulnerable to injury. No one is blocking for him, and if a linebacker is aware of the play, he decks that poor kid like in the other video.

My definition of sportsmanship isn’t just playing “within the rules”. It’s rising above the rules and doing what’s right. Classic example is the NCAA women’s softball team (Central Washington) that carried an injured opponent around the bases for a game winning home run. Clearly Central Washingon knew it was the right thing to do (even though the umpires had screwed the rule up). So, while the football play might be “within the rules”, it sure doesn’t seem right to me, and thus seems to be a non sporting thing to do.

Your example is a special case. But it’s very different from something that happens during the course of a game. If CW had made a tag play at third that was called an out, should the 3rd baseman turn to the ump and declare the runner safe because she missed the tag? No, and she certainly wouldn’t. If that same play happened in the NFL, we’d all be laughing at the defense for being so stupid. Since it happened in Middle School, we are being critical of the “sportsmanship” involved. I see your point, but I’m not convinced I feel the same way. I think the rules should be changed to eliminate this type of play – because it could be dangerous.