PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Micha Hancock - how she compares to other great servers

If anyone in the college volleyball world didn’t know the name Micha Hancock before Penn State played Nebraska last Saturday night, her four consecutive service aces in the first set against the Huskers probably caught their attention. She leads NCAA Division 1 with .86 service aces per set — though even that gaudy statistic falls well short of the 1.35 service aces/set she rang up in 2010 as a senior at Edmond Memorial High School.

We decided to see how Hancock compares to a number of great servers from recent years – Nebraska’s Jordan Larson (one of our favorite players), Kim Willoughby, Logan Tom, Kerri Walsh, Emily Danks and other recent Big Ten leaders. Hint: Hancock has the best statistics except for Service Ace-to-Service Error ratio, which Walsh blew away in 1996. Here’s a link to the table we put together: http://www.dignittanyvolleyball.com/2011/11/01/tough-servers-hancock-willoughby-danks-tom-larson-more/

Thanks for posting that info. During her first weekend of play, I turned to a friend and told him she had the best serve that I had ever seen on a women’s collegiate player. Now I have evidence to back that somewhat outrageous claim that I made after only seeing her in a couple of matches.

My pleasure. Clearly, you should become a volleyball scout :slight_smile: