PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Maybe Colleges Recruiting Middle School Kids Isn't So Bad After All

Real Madrid signs a Argentinian who, in America, would be a second grader.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6843531/real-madrid-signs-7-year-old-argentine-prospect-leonel-angel-coira

Worse doesn’t make bad not bad. This is pathetic. Kid probably loves soccer but I bet there will come a day that he doesn’t. Probably won’t ever get to live a life.

These stories aren’t always so bad, especially in a sport like soccer where you see a lot of kids taken out of 3rd world (or near it) conditions and put into academies in very nice parts of the world. A kid like Lionel Messi had all his medical bills paid for as an 11 year old by FC Barcelona and is now going to go down as one of the greatest players of all time, making millions and millions of dollars doing so.

I realize this isn’t almost ever the case, but there are lots of stories of this happening in soccer where European teams pull African and South American kids into their youth systems at very young ages and these players wind up having very nice lives. It’s a way out of poverty for many of them, and at the very least it’s a way to see the world and play a game they love.

I don’t see this as all that scandalous, personally.

[quote="BeerNitLion, post:2, topic:2590"]Worse doesn't make bad not bad. This is pathetic. Kid probably loves soccer but I bet there will come a day that he doesn't. Probably won't ever get to live a life.[/quote]

These stories aren’t always so bad, especially in a sport like soccer where you see a lot of kids taken out of 3rd world (or near it) conditions and put into academies in very nice parts of the world. A kid like Lionel Messi had all his medical bills paid for as an 11 year old by FC Barcelona and is now going to go down as one of the greatest players of all time, making millions and millions of dollars doing so.

I realize this isn’t almost ever the case, but there are lots of stories of this happening in soccer where European teams pull African and South American kids into their youth systems at very young ages and these players wind up having very nice lives. It’s a way out of poverty for many of them, and at the very least it’s a way to see the world and play a game they love.

I don’t know the details, so I won’t comment other than to say I hope you are right.

Is it better or worst to give VERY POOR students free tuition to elite expensive HS prep schools then free tuition to elite expensive universities because they are good at playing a sport.

[quote="BeerNitLion, post:2, topic:2590"]Worse doesn't make bad not bad. This is pathetic. Kid probably loves soccer but I bet there will come a day that he doesn't. Probably won't ever get to live a life.[/quote]

I remember a big outcry when the system from the Soviet and Communist countries was unvailed. The youngsters are identified as having talent, and are basically taken away from their families to train throughout the rest of their childhood.

When it was unvailed, it was deemed cruel.

I think it is still a 7-year-old. Doesn’t seem right.

I think this is a bit of a unique situation. It’s not like ALL 7-year olds are being signed. This kid has an older brother with a pro team in Spain, a dad who coaches youth soccer, and he’s playing near where he already lives. It’s a year to year thing, if it doesn’t continue panning out he will likely be done with it. If it does, well he should have probably been there in the first place and this won’t be an issue.

It seems a bit strange to many Americans I guess, because we’re so accustomed to how things are done here and where we try to shelter kids until the age of about 35. But I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal, it’s not like they’re sending him to a concentration camp or something… it’s soccer!