PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: March Madness - Get Your Remotes Ready!

Interesting article by Adam Zagoria, a few things I knew and some I didn’t: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/01/28/march-madness-get-your-remotes-ready/

That’s because for the first time in the history of the NCAA Tournament, four different networks will broadcast the games.

CBS, TNT, TBS and truTV will show every game of the new 68-team event beginning March 15.

“Everyone in America is going to be able to see every game, beginning to end,” Jeff Behnke, senior vice president of Turner Sports, said during a breakfast with reporters Friday in Manhattan.

I like.

Nothing says March Madness like watching the First Four games on truTV!

What is truTV? Is that a re-branding of a previous TV station?

CourtTV.

I like being able to see all the games, but I’m a traditionalist. I like the way it was on CBS.

That pretty much tells me how many TV’s I’ll need when I finish my man-cave.

CBS + TBS/TNT/truTV > CBS + March Madness on Demand … I hope…

[quote=“noobd, post:1, topic:1851”]Interesting article by Adam Zagoria, a few things I knew and some I didn’t: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/01/28/march-madness-get-your-remotes-ready/

[quote]That’s because for the first time in the history of the NCAA Tournament, four different networks will broadcast the games.

CBS, TNT, TBS and truTV will show every game of the new 68-team event beginning March 15.

“Everyone in America is going to be able to see every game, beginning to end,” Jeff Behnke, senior vice president of Turner Sports, said during a breakfast with reporters Friday in Manhattan.
[/quote]

I like.[/quote]

I trust my folks at Turner to do it right. BTW, I roomed with Jeff Behnke for a week in the French Alps during the 1992 Winter Olympics and told him that if he ever had his finger on the March Madness trigger to make sure the Penn State game was front and center for all the world to see.

OK the March Madness/Penn State part of that statement is flat out false. But Jeff and I worked together for the better part of a decade. It’s funny seeing his name on this board and in this thread, as he’s a huge Tennessee Vol football fan.

I remember them inking this deal but kept forgetting it was starting this year.

I’ll be in vegas for the opening weekend this year, so it wasn’t going to be a big issue. And i spent most of the last 10 years in sports bars when multiple games were on, watching only at places that had 4 television screens and the MM package. It was kind of like a cult of real MM fans that you’d see out and about at noon on a thursday and friday in march, eyes glued to the screens - cheering for these tiny schools most people don’t even know existed outside of college hoops.

In that sense, I think you’ll lose something fun that used to go on at that time of the year. I mean, you’ll still have people going to the sports bars to watch games I’m sure. It’s just not going to be the devoted following it used to be now that nearly everybody with cable will have access to all 4 games at once those openings days of the dance. I can already anticipate myself not wanting to spend 12 hours in a bar two straight days if I’m able to pick and choose a segment of games where I really only care to see 1 game at a time. Kind of a bittersweet end of an era. I’m glad it’s come but the traditions will be lost. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:9, topic:1851”]I remember them inking this deal but kept forgetting it was starting this year.

I’ll be in vegas for the opening weekend this year, so it wasn’t going to be a big issue. And i spent most of the last 10 years in sports bars when multiple games were on, watching only at places that had 4 television screens and the MM package. It was kind of like a cult of real MM fans that you’d see out and about at noon on a thursday and friday in march, eyes glued to the screens - cheering for these tiny schools most people don’t even know existed outside of college hoops.

In that sense, I think you’ll lose something fun that used to go on at that time of the year. I mean, you’ll still have people going to the sports bars to watch games I’m sure. It’s just not going to be the devoted following it used to be now that nearly everybody with cable will have access to all 4 games at once those openings days of the dance. I can already anticipate myself not wanting to spend 12 hours in a bar two straight days if I’m able to pick and choose a segment of games where I really only care to see 1 game at a time. Kind of a bittersweet end of an era. I’m glad it’s come but the traditions will be lost. :)[/quote]

I think I am doing Vegas for opening weekend as well.

In that sense, I think you’ll lose something fun that used to go on at that time of the year. I mean, you’ll still have people going to the sports bars to watch games I’m sure. It’s just not going to be the devoted following it used to be now that nearly everybody with cable will have access to all 4 games at once those openings days of the dance. I can already anticipate myself not wanting to spend 12 hours in a bar two straight days if I’m able to pick and choose a segment of games where I really only care to see 1 game at a time. Kind of a bittersweet end of an era. I’m glad it’s come but the traditions will be lost. :slight_smile:

Should be a good time. My birthday is that weekend also, might get a little crazy if I hit some games early on. :wink:

I went to Vegas for a bachelor party weekend that coincided with the NCAA opening round a FEW years ago. One of the more intense 72 hours that I’ve ever spent - but loved every minute of it. ;D

Off and on for the past 12 years or so, I’ve been lucky enough to be around people who subscribed to DirecTV’s Mega March Madness. For the first time on my own, I have DirecTV now, but I’ll happily save the $70 it costs.

I understand the nostalgia for people spending entire days inside sports bars or just having Gumbel, et al. whip you around to all of the sites on your regional CBS feed. However, for me, I can never go back to not having all the games after 2001, the first year my parents ordered the package for our own home. All three of Penn State’s games in that run would not have been the “local” game for me and I would have only seen bits and pieces, especially of the Providence game, without the DirecTV package.

One thing to prepare you for, however, if this year will be your first experience watching four games at once for two straight days…your brain will feel like mush on Friday night and you’ll actually remember very few details of any individual game. At least, that’s how I’ve felt the past few years…though I’m sure cracking open the first drink at 12:10 EDT has something to do with that, too.

Is Directv still offering their March Madness package or is that over with?

[quote=“PSUQuaker, post:13, topic:1851”]Off and on for the past 12 years or so, I’ve been lucky enough to be around people who subscribed to DirecTV’s Mega March Madness. For the first time on my own, I have DirecTV now, but I’ll happily save the $70 it costs.

I understand the nostalgia for people spending entire days inside sports bars or just having Gumbel, et al. whip you around to all of the sites on your regional CBS feed. However, for me, I can never go back to not having all the games after 2001, the first year my parents ordered the package for our own home. All three of Penn State’s games in that run would not have been the “local” game for me and I would have only seen bits and pieces, especially of the Providence game, without the DirecTV package.

One thing to prepare you for, however, if this year will be your first experience watching four games at once for two straight days…your brain will feel like mush on Friday night and you’ll actually remember very few details of any individual game. At least, that’s how I’ve felt the past few years…though I’m sure cracking open the first drink at 12:10 EDT has something to do with that, too.[/quote]

It’s going to be worse now because we’ll have two games Tuesday and Wednesday night to focus on also.

I can’t even imagine the headaches people who run pools will have to go through this year getting everyone in by Tuesday night instead of Thursday morning. Glad I don’t run one anymore, even though mine was relatively small.

[quote="PSUQuaker, post:13, topic:1851"]Off and on for the past 12 years or so, I've been lucky enough to be around people who subscribed to DirecTV's Mega March Madness. For the first time on my own, I have DirecTV now, but I'll happily save the $70 it costs.

One thing to prepare you for, however, if this year will be your first experience watching four games at once for two straight days…your brain will feel like mush on Friday night and you’ll actually remember very few details of any individual game. At least, that’s how I’ve felt the past few years…though I’m sure cracking open the first drink at 12:10 EDT has something to do with that, too.[/quote]

It’s going to be worse now because we’ll have two games Tuesday and Wednesday night to focus on also.

I can’t even imagine the headaches people who run pools will have to go through this year getting everyone in by Tuesday night instead of Thursday morning. Glad I don’t run one anymore, even though mine was relatively small.

I run a pretty big pool, and I’m just having people submit on Thursday morning. If they want to pick a winner of a “play in” game, then just pick the seed number for that game. People can wait until they see those results if they want to, or they can just submit before those games. I think you’ll find very few pools that will actually count those games in the results (just like no one counted the play in game the last several years).

I’ve been going out to bars for the games for the last decade, and that won’t change for me or anyone in my group. Sure, people can get all the games at home, however it’s a reason to get out of work and it’s two nights where I see a lot of people that I on’y see once a year. I don’t anticipate the bars being too much emptier as I think many are in the same boat. Unfortunately (at least in my opinion), this is one of those years where St Patty’s Day falls on one of the opening two days, so the bars are always completely mobbed that night as you have both crowds out partying.

[quote="PSUQuaker, post:13, topic:1851"]Off and on for the past 12 years or so, I've been lucky enough to be around people who subscribed to DirecTV's Mega March Madness. For the first time on my own, I have DirecTV now, but I'll happily save the $70 it costs.

I run a pretty big pool, and I’m just having people submit on Thursday morning. If they want to pick a winner of a “play in” game, then just pick the seed number for that game. People can wait until they see those results if they want to, or they can just submit before those games. I think you’ll find very few pools that will actually count those games in the results (just like no one counted the play in game the last several years).

I’ve been going out to bars for the games for the last decade, and that won’t change for me or anyone in my group. Sure, people can get all the games at home, however it’s a reason to get out of work and it’s two nights where I see a lot of people that I on’y see once a year. I don’t anticipate the bars being too much emptier as I think many are in the same boat. Unfortunately (at least in my opinion), this is one of those years where St Patty’s Day falls on one of the opening two days, so the bars are always completely mobbed that night as you have both crowds out partying.

I think you’re facing a whole different beast this year than you did with the single play-in game between two schools with almost zero chance of upsetting a 1 seed. You now will have 2 teams, probably in the 10-12 seed range, that could very easily be picks to make a run in the tournament.

If you want to wait until those games are over to fill out the 64 team bracket, that’s fine… but then you’ve got people with a window from about 11PM wednesday night until 12PM thursday afternoon to figure their bracket out and get it turned in. just messy

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:17, topic:1851”]It’s going to be worse now because we’ll have two games Tuesday and Wednesday night to focus on also.
You now will have 2 teams, probably in the 10-12 seed range, that could very easily be picks to make a run in the tournament.

If you want to wait until those games are over to fill out the 64 team bracket, that’s fine… but then you’ve got people with a window from about 11PM wednesday night until 12PM thursday afternoon to figure their bracket out and get it turned in. just messy[/quote]

You’re almost definately looking at 12 seeds, no chance that it would be a 10 and also unlikely to be an 11. I think you’re making a bigger deal out of it than it is, those that wait until the last minute to fill out their bracket will still wait. Those that get them in early will probably just makes their picks not caring about how wins the Tuesday/Wednesday games. I think it’s a minority that will wait to see those results, then break down each game to figure out exactly how they see the team that won moving along. I always fill out my brackets on Thursday morning, so it makes no difference to me.

i’ve had the mega march madness from direcTV every year…wonder what i will spend that $70 bucks on instead…any suggestions?

I was just looking through eBay trying to find something funny, and I’m shocked at the amount of PSU hoops stuff out there. Lots of old Media Guides, schedules/posters, etc.

It’s funny to see some of the old jerseys and whatnot. I did some post Christmas cleaning of my closet to fit new clothes, and in doing so packed up some stuff for Goodwill, which I finally dropped off this morning. One of the things I finally got rid of was my Pete Lisicky jersey that I bought as a freshman in the fall of 95. It was still in pretty good shape, just a couple of sizes too small. I haven’t worn it in 10 years, but just couldn’t see getting rid of it until now. Hopefully it finds a good home.